POLL: What should the Bolts do with Gordon?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I think if the Bolts didn't have faith in their stable of backs they would have drafted one. TT is not a dummy. They watch these guys every day. I am not worried. Prefer he stays, but not for a kings ransom.

meathead Marcellus Wiley was Flappin his gums saying that if MGIII hit the open market he knew of one team that would make him the highest paid back in the NFL. I laughed so hard coffee came out my nose.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
      I think if the Bolts didn't have faith in their stable of backs they would have drafted one. TT is not a dummy. They watch these guys every day. I am not worried. Prefer he stays, but not for a kings ransom.

meathead Marcellus Wiley was Flappin his gums saying that if MGIII hit the open market he knew of one team that would make him the highest paid back in the NFL. I laughed so hard coffee came out my nose.
      Wow, "Meathead" Marcellus and "Greedy" Gordon...what a duo...and what's unfortunate is that all the yes-men Meatheads have got Greedy convinced he's one of the top 3 or so RB's in the game. And all that head-swelling praise just makes MG3 dig his heels into the turf even more to hold out for Bell-like money. It kind of reminds me of that old story, "The Emperor's New Clothes," when all the emperor's buddies had him convinced he looked so "great" in his new set of clothes, until he appears in a parade and some little boy blurts out the obvious: "He's NAKED!!!"
      Last edited by Topcat; 07-18-2019, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• bartman83642
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I was hoping the Bolts would draft Alexander Mattison RB BSU this year. Then this MGIII shit would be a completely mute point.
        Yeah, I would have been OK with that also. He did a great job for BSU running behind a subpar line the last couple of years.

Comment

• JOJAX85
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2018
          • Irmo, SC
          • Send PM

I voted trade him. I dont really want to, but no way would I pay him $13M. I understand the small window & I understand how on the surface that it doesn't seem that we could replace him right now.

That being said, never EVER did I think we could replace John Jefferson. & we brought in Wes Chandler. It's not exactly apples to apples I know, but it gives me hope if he does indeed get the boot.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Blue Thunder View Post
            Trade him now prior to training camp for either a 2020 2nd and a conditional 2021 5th/6th based on his performance with his new team.

Or trade him for a 2020 3rd and an veteran OL who still has some tread on his tires and can come in and help mentor these young OLs that we have. Positional flexibility along the line for our new veteran OL player/coach would be a nice added bonus, if possible.

Either way, I think Gordon needs to go now in order to get the negativity of this situation behind us and to allow us to reset and start fresh. We need all Chargers to be 100 percent committed to this team and to each other in order to go get that Lombardi trophy.

The problem we may run into is that we might not be able to find another team as a trading partner that is willing to pay Gordon an amount that he deems acceptable either. 13-15 M a year, especially on a multi-year contract is a pipe dream.

I think he would need to come down to the 10M/year range to make things work. Maybe 4yr/40M with 20M to 25M guaranteed. There's no way that the Chargers will be able to pay that, but someone else might trade for him under those conditions. All it takes is one interested team.
            Im thinking 4 years, 36 million if he wants to stay. That's above Freeman but behind Johnson.

Comment

• nomad1946
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2017
              • West Yellowstone, Montana
              • Retired
              • Send PM

He has a year left on his rookie contract. If he holds out this year he still have a year left on his rookie contract, so he can't do a Bell thing. He has to play, but if he is unhappy, we need to trade him for whatever we can get for him.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post
                I voted trade him. I dont really want to, but no way would I pay him $13M. I understand the small window & I understand how on the surface that it doesn't seem that we could replace him right now.

That being said, never EVER did I think we could replace John Jefferson. & we brought in Wes Chandler. It's not exactly apples to apples I know, but it gives me hope if he does indeed get the boot.
                To get Wes Chandler, the Chargers gave up a 1rst round draft pick.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

According to Over the Cap, Gordon can just sit out the season. He has already earned enough to hit FA, by virtue of all ready having 4 years of service. Apparently, the 5th year (from the 1st round pick) isn't necessary.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    According to Over the Cap, Gordon can just sit out the season. He has already earned enough to hit FA, by virtue of all ready having 4 years of service. Apparently, the 5th year (from the 1st round pick) isn't necessary.

https://overthecap.com/thoughts-on-t...-the-chargers/
                    Last season, Gordon earned $1.8 million. This season, he is due for a hefty raise to $5.6 mil. Yes, MG3 could sit out. And he would lose $5.6 mil, banking on signing with another team some time in the next year. Still, $5.6 mil is a lot to just throw away...

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Last season, Gordon earned $1.8 million. This season, he is due for a hefty raise to $5.6 mil. Yes, MG3 could sit out. And he would lose $5.6 mil, banking on signing with another team some time in the next year. Still, $5.6 mil is a lot to just throw away...
                      Yes. You can buy a large insurance policy against injury and have millions left over.

Comment

• Lyth
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Send PM

This is just the wrong time to be talking about this. The front office screwed this one. If the two sides are that far apart, how do you not know earlier?

I voted to trade him but that's tough to do at this point. Should have been done in the spring, before rosters are set and you can work current year draft picks into trades.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lyth View Post
                          This is just the wrong time to be talking about this. The front office screwed this one. If the two sides are that far apart, how do you not know earlier?

I voted to trade him but that's tough to do at this point. Should have been done in the spring, before rosters are set and you can work current year draft picks into trades.
                          This was the wrong season to trade for a RB, no matter when it was. Leveon Bell last year, Freeman and Gurley with injury issues. David Johnson not being very productive. There was never going to be a chance to convince another NFL team that they should trade a draft pick and then have to spend a ton of their cap on a RB when NFL salaries for RB are just not there. At some point the players need to realize that the teams are not going to pay for it, and if there is no demand the price drops. These 4 RB (Gurley, Bell, Johnson and Freeman) are throwing the market out of balance, and I think NFL teams are going to wait for it to come back down.

How much interest was there in Leveon Bell as a FA? The only offer he really got (from what I understand) was from the Jets, and there are now rumblings that it was the GM doing it on his own, and the HC doesn't want him. Not only did it not save the GM job, but now there is all kinds of bad blood, because NY sportswriters can use Over the cap and Sportstrac just like we can. The Jets will use Bell but mostly because there is no way out. The cao ramifications are big and they are stuck with him for a while (June cuts for next season at the earliest). If Bell, who has had better production than MG is not wanted, what are the chances that any team will give up anything juicy to us?

The long and the short of it is the best thing to do is wait a bit, and trade him by the trade deadline if any offer comes in. We are only going to get a late-round pick. Teams rarely pay valuable picks for guys they have street value for. MG3 would have bring his offer down to be at street value, so we only get enough to save face. And the only team that will give up even a late pick will be someone who has a RB injury, or has a draft pick coming along way too slow. The only good thing we have going for us, you can get decent RB as UDFA and late round draft picks, so even a late round pick helps to replace Gordon, although it is not essential.

Comment

Working...
                          X