POLL: What should the Bolts do with Gordon?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lyth View Post

This is the only happy ending I see for us unless Gordon is willing to take a "prove it" year and see if he can play 16 games.
    And if he gets injured in a 16-game "prove it" year, that would diminish his value in the FA market. I think he comes back week 10, hopes he doesn't get hurt, then tells the Bolts "adios"...

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Normally players come back for week 10 to get the accrued season, but according to over the cap, that doesn't apply to 5th year deals since the player already has the 4 years required under his belt.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Normally players come back for week 10 to get the accrued season, but according to over the cap, that doesn't apply to 5th year deals since the player already has the 4 years required under his belt.

https://overthecap.com/thoughts-on-t...-the-chargers/
        Well, in that case, I wouldn't be surprised if Gordon takes the whole year off while he sits by the poolside and entertains offers from other teams, if any. If he takes the whole year off, no injury risk, but he may not get the offer he likes. Like I said, maybe he only gets a 3-year deal at around $10 mil a year, with the signing team insisting on an "out" after two years. That's what Antonio Brown got, (3 years and an out) though AB's deal at $50 mil for an average of $16 mil a season is a lot more $$$ than Gordon will get...
        Last edited by Topcat; 07-22-2019, 08:43 PM.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Let him sit out the whole season and then franchise tag him for the following season.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

The estimate for the Franchise tag is $12 mil. At that price point, we might as well sign him to an extension.

The issue in my mind is that you may well have to let a lot of players you want to keep go in order to keep Gordon to get the 3rd round comp pick in the 2022 draft.

Again, as I pointed out in another thread, signing Gordon to a top tier contract makes it difficult to sign anyone but Rivers, unless Rivers is the guy who wants to give the Chargers a big break on the contract. In terms of effective cap space (cap space minus the amount we need to sign our draft picks and have enough to get through the regular season) Rivers and Gordon would probably cost us all of the space we have, which is fine by itself. But with a long list of other players at FA, it makes it hard to imagine that

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
              Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
              • Jun 2013
              • Palm Springs
              • I know nothing
              • Send PM

Does Gordon count against the cap this year if he doesn't report?

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 8/6/1960 View Post
                Does Gordon count against the cap this year if he doesn't report?
                Yes, he is under contract.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

Give him permission to seek trade partners...I like Gordon, but I'm a Bolt fan first...besides...he may find nobody else is willing to fork over what he is asking, and he will come back down to Earth
                  Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

https://overthecap.com/thoughts-on-t...-the-chargers/
                    Except the contract tolls if he never shows up and he'd have to play the next year under the same contract.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Except the contract tolls if he never shows up and he'd have to play the next year under the same contract.
                      Gordon does not need an accrued season towards free agency so he can stay out if he wants and not jeopardize his free agent status (this is different than a player with just three years in the NFL and holding out which would jeopardize his free agency).

According to Over the cap, that isn't true. He can sit out the year and still become a FA.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

According to Over the cap, that isn't true. He can sit out the year and still become a FA.
                        You may want to reread the third last paragraph in the article.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

You may want to reread the third last paragraph in the article.
                          Leveon Bell just sat out a whole season and passed up a whole lot more than $5.6 million. Gordon has been saying he would have done the same thing. If his ultimate goal is to get the long term deal, and he is afraid of getting hurt in the short term, then just like Bell, he might be willing to pass on the short term payout.

Comment

Working...
                          X