• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris9341
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

If Gordon Hold's Out All Season Or Is Traded - JJ And Ek Hype

Does anyone here believe Justin Jackson and Eckeler can be an effective rb tandem? I happen to like Justin Jackson and given the chance I think he can put up 100 yards a game. I like Eckeler but I don't think he is an everydown back in the NFL and I prefer keeping him in the role he is in now. I do hope we get Gordon resigned but if the Chargers realize that there is no hope in signing him to an extension then trade him for some valuable players who can help this team win. I know there are lots of teams out there that would love a Melvin Gordon.
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

If Gordon isn't here I'd agree that Jackson would be a better starting back with Eckeler in the same role he played with Goron, but perhaps getting a few more snaps.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
      Does anyone here believe Justin Jackson and Eckeler can be an effective rb tandem? I happen to like Justin Jackson and given the chance I think he can put up 100 yards a game. I like Eckeler but I don't think he is an everydown back in the NFL and I prefer keeping him in the role he is in now. I do hope we get Gordon resigned but if the Chargers realize that there is no hope in signing him to an extension then trade him for some valuable players who can help this team win. I know there are lots of teams out there that would love a Melvin Gordon.
      IMO Not too many teams will want to give up very much AND sign a rb to what he is reportedly asking.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        If Gordon isn't here I'd agree that Jackson would be a better starting back with Eckeler in the same role he played with Goron, but perhaps getting a few more snaps.
        Agreed.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Teams didn't have to give up anything in terms of a draft pick this offseason, similar salary, and a better RB available in Leveon Bell. He got 1 team that was interested. If Bell didn't get many takers as a FA, will we get many trade offers with Gordon?

The best bet is if one or more teams can prove that teams decide they need a franchise RB again. But of the 3 or 4 teams that still favor a high-ish priced RB, Atlanta, Rams, Jets and Cards, only the Falcons and Rams have a really good chance of being an offensive powerhouse, to vindicate the importance of the high priced RB.

Comment

• RTPbolt
            Charger Fan till the end
            • Jun 2013
            • North Carolina
            • Send PM

Gordon doesnt have a lot of leverage. He is on a superbowl capable team already. He is under contract. He just wants money and holding out will just tarnish his reputation imo. He may get traded to a medicre team and have little chance at a SB ring. He is probably worth more tgan $5m this year but he signed a deal....stand by your word or you will end up like Bell on an arguable mid tear AT BEST Jet team that will probably not sniff a playoff game in his tenure there after leaving a SB capable team.

Gordon will be making a big mistake if he actually values having a shot at a title. Reality is he will make plenty of money to live his life on this year and odds of a catastrophic career ending injury are low. He is injury prone and that affects his value. He is a talented back that is good for the team but like Pitt and Bell they can succeed without him and not break the bank.

i hope Gordon comes to his senses and shows up to work with his lunchpail.

Comment

• Lightnin'
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I suspect Gordon's agent is-as is often the case in these transactions, at the core of it all.

Gordon knows he's on a title contender; he probably likes his team and teammates, and knows he's
              going to be soon playing in an absolute palace in one of the largest media markets in the league.

I honestly hope he's in camp soon, but-pride and someone in his ear telling him the Chargers don't
              want to pay him what he deserves goes a long way toward assuring this deal may not get done anytime
              soon.
              San Diego Chargers

1961-2017

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Better to include Detrez in that mix of JJ and Ekkie. JJ 50% of snaps, Ekkie 30%, Detrez 15%, possibly Cox 5%.

Comment

• bartman83642
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

IMO Not too many teams will want to give up very much AND sign a rb to what he is reportedly asking.
                  That was my thought as well. Don't think there is a real viable trade that would help us out right now so it probably will end as an all or nothing scenario unless one side or the other caves.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Teams didn't have to give up anything in terms of a draft pick this offseason, similar salary, and a better RB available in Leveon Bell. He got 1 team that was interested. If Bell didn't get many takers as a FA, will we get many trade offers with Gordon?

The best bet is if one or more teams can prove that teams decide they need a franchise RB again. But of the 3 or 4 teams that still favor a high-ish priced RB, Atlanta, Rams, Jets and Cards, only the Falcons and Rams have a really good chance of being an offensive powerhouse, to vindicate the importance of the high priced RB.
                    Right? If you look at Gordon's stance and the way he and his agent are acting you would think that there are 20 teams or so just waiting to trade for him and break the bank for him. He is really crazy and does not understand basic NFL economics and markets for his position (RB).

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Right? If you look at Gordon's stance and the way he and his agent are acting you would think that there are 20 teams or so just waiting to trade for him and break the bank for him. He is really crazy and does not understand basic NFL economics and markets for his position (RB).
                      Another possibility is that his dual agents badly overestimated the potential demand for Gordon, and convinced him to hold out for more $$$. Remember, most sports agents get between 4% and 10% commission on contracts. Suppose each of his agents gets 5%. Hmmm, let's see, MG3 wants Bell money, or close to it. Bell got $70 mil, so suppose Gordon "settles" for only $60 mil. Let's see...5% of $60 mil = $300,000 for each agent. If they each get 10%, they each get $600,000. Not a bad payday...if it pans out...

Comment

• OhioBolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve;n802740[B
                        ]Teams didn't have to give up anything in terms of a draft pick this offseason, similar salary, and a better RB available in Leveon Bell. He got 1 team that was interested. If Bell didn't get many takers as a FA, will we get many trade offers with Gordon?[/B]

Good Point Bell didn't get a whole lot of offers and the Jets Coach wasn't even happy with the signing.

The market is not favorable for Gordon now nor will it be in the future the Gurly, Johnson and even Freeman to a lesser degree ($$) with injuries hasn't done anything to help the running back salary. These guys were paid big money to be on the field to produce, and though they are excelent running backs the investment is not producing the expected productivity or results

New England has won Super Bowls and neve had a top 5 leader in rushing, The LA Rams made it without Gurly hardly playing in the playoffs and the Super Bowl, the Steeler just had some bad luck and barely missed playoffs without Levon Bell. I think Dallas will find that they will still be able to run the ball because of their dominate O-line without Elliot.

Gordon best bet is to except the given offer and get his @$$ in camp how can he expect the Chargers to offer more than what they have the above case study shows that you don't want to invest long term on a back or $$$$ on a back on his 2nd contract. The league isn't stupid other teams take notice of the trends and the state of the running backs, there may be one team that is desparate and reaches out to him like the Jets did with Bell, but that is playing the odds.

Comment

Working...
                        X