• Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

nah.... we can make it a duly noted friendly wager tho,
    Smart move... wagering on what TT will do along the OL is a sucker's bet.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I'd agree with this statement. Lamp's ceiling seems higher than Tevi or Feeney. And GM's look at ceilings when giving out extension contracts. Here's the caveat... Chargers are pretty desperate across the OL. They've planned poorly, had bad luck injury-wise, and have relied too heavily on guys to develop (who just haven't). Plus, they seem to be averse to spending high picks on OT's.

Tevi could get 6-8 million per year from the Chargers... but it would be a foolish move. That 6-8 million would probably buy a solid C or OG player (Thuney or Andrews) in FA.

My price tags: Tevi - $2 mil (and would rather replace). Feeney: $2.5 mil (backup C/G). Lamp: $3 mil (startin OG).
      You think Thuney is going to only get contract offers at $6-$8? He is making $15 this season @ 27 y.o.
      I think both Tevi and Feeney will get interest from multiple teams in FA.
      Lamp has limited tape and missed 2 season with injuries.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

You think Thuney is going to only get contract offers at $6-$8? He is making $15 this season @ 27 y.o.
        I think both Tevi and Feeney will get interest from multiple teams in FA.
        Lamp has limited tape and missed 2 season with injuries.
        Thuney got a franchise tag @ $15 mil. Someone might offer him $9 million plus... I wouldn't pay that for him. I'm not a proponent of paying OG's more than $6-8 per year. I'd pay that ($6-8 mil) to a good center, though. In the end, I'd rather draft good IOL 2nd-4th round and be deep at those positions for when contracts come due.

Because of Lamp's injuries (lack of tape), he'll be relatively cheap. But of those 3 (Tevi, Lamp, Feeney), I think Lamp has the higher ceiling. Tevi and Feeney have developed and are what they are (backups). And it pains me to say that about Feeney because I had high hopes for him out of college.

What do you think David Andrews gets (should he reach FA)...?

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Thuney got a franchise tag @ $15 mil. Someone might offer him $9 million plus... I wouldn't pay that for him. I'm not a proponent of paying OG's more than $6-8 per year. I'd pay that ($6-8 mil) to a good center, though. In the end, I'd rather draft good IOL 2nd-4th round and be deep at those positions for when contracts come due.

Because of Lamp's injuries (lack of tape), he'll be relatively cheap. But of those 3 (Tevi, Lamp, Feeney), I think Lamp has the higher ceiling. Tevi and Feeney have developed and are what they are (backups). And it pains me to say that about Feeney because I had high hopes for him out of college.

What do you think David Andrews gets (should he reach FA)...?
          I haven’t kept up with him since draft time when he was coming out of UGA. I couldn’t give you an accurate review of his play other than he’s been a starter with a few games missed due to injury.
          He didn’t pop off tape when I’ve been watching Thuney tape though.

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

would put Thuney at $8m, and Andrews at $6m....
            5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
              would put Thuney at $8m, and Andrews at $6m....
              Thuney is going to get $11+. Probably in the range of $11-$14. The only thing that hinders him is this COVID season which will dramatically lower next year’s cap.

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• madcaplaughs
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Who started this afternoon? Wasn't able to get the game online

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                  Outback Goon
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Australia
                  • Send PM

Tevi + Lamp are gelling and opening some good holes vs JAX today. Need Bulaga + Turner back

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

I think we have 3 pro guards in Tevi, Lamp and Feeney
                    we need a true center coughCreedcough
                    and keep/start the best 2 of 3 above in 2021
                    P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                    P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                    P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                    P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                      Tevi + Lamp are gelling and opening some good holes vs JAX today. Need Bulaga + Turner back
                      musta been me, and.... missed those "open" holes.... less than 3 YPC for the both of Kelly and JJ.

those RBs earned every inch from what I could see.... just about nothin' was given/afforded them.

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Popper answers a fan question about the OL (thought it was funny):

In order for the offensive line to improve, Telesco must start addressing that position with the requisite amount of attention and draft capital. Like I mentioned above, Telesco does a lot of things well as a general manager. But developing offensive linemen is not one of them. And I think a big part of that is because he has not regularly devoted premium draft picks to the offensive line. He has largely preferred to fill gaps via free agency — and, this season, through a trade, by acquiring right guard Trai Turner, who has been injured pretty much all year and will not play Sunday against the Jaguars because of a lingering groin injury.

Telesco’s approach is the primary reason why the Chargers seem to regularly be in this position in which they sustain injuries and their pass protection suffers. They have never really had good offensive line depth during Telesco’s tenure because he has not drafted that depth. Telesco has not used a first-round pick on an offensive lineman since 2013, when he took D.J. Fluker. He has only used one second-round pick on an offensive lineman, and that was Forrest Lamp. He has only used one premium pick — first, second or third round — on an offensive lineman in the past three drafts, and that was Trey Pipkins, a developmental project.

Compare that to the Saints, who have one of the best offensive lines in football. Their starting left tackle, Terron Armstead, was a third-round pick in 2013. Their starting right tackle, Ryan Ramczyk, was a first-round pick in 2017. Their starting center, Erik McCoy, was a second-round pick in 2019. Their starting left guard, Andrus Peat, was a first-round pick in 2015. Despite having all this talent, they used yet another first-round pick on an offensive lineman in April when they drafted Cesar Ruiz out of Michigan.

This is not some convoluted problem. Telesco continues to reap what he has sown from his draft approach.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Another one (before the Jags game):

The Chargers averaged more than four yards per carry through the first two games of the season, but the production has dropped considerably since then. From Week 3 on, the Chargers rank 30th in the NFL in yards per carry.

I see three reasons for the decline:

1. Austin Ekeler’s absence. Ekeler is by far their best runner, and more importantly, he is one of the best tackle-breakers in the league. He can make something out of nothing, which I can’t say about Joshua Kelley and Justin Jackson. Ekeler would have made this injured offensive line look a whole lot better if he had been on the field.

2. The offensive line is reeling. They are down three starters. The unit just hasn’t been getting consistent push in the run game with all the backups, namely Lamp, Pipkins and right guard Ryan Groy.

3. The Chargers have gone up against some really good run defenses, particularly in their last two games. The Buccaneers rank third in rushing defense DVOA, according to Football Outsiders, while the Saints rank fourth. They have a chance for a get-right game this week. The Jaguars rank 22nd in rush defense DVOA.

Comment

Working...
                          X