• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Pouncey is probably done & Okung is near the end. What is there going forward?

Forrest Lamp: proved that he belongs as a starter, provided he can stay on the field. The ankle injury was a fluke and he should be ready to go start of next season. No nonsense about him fighting for a job like last time.

Scott Quessenberry: has done better than expected, but team doesn't know what it has with him. Other teams are evaluating his weaknesses at this point.

Dan Feeney: after 3 years still a question mark; needs to get stronger - overpowered by PJ Hall on 3rd and 1. Would have been helped with competent OT. Probably won't be resigned.

Mike Schofield: might bring back because of other needs....far from ideal. Better off looking for a veteran upgrade in free agency, particularly if Q starts next year.

Trevor Scott: a poor backup...not NFL ready and probably never will be

Sam Tevi: a very low end starting RT.....very low end. Struggles in his back pedal and poor hand usage with poor awareness of space and positioning. People like his run blocking and have suggested moving him to guard....probably fails there.

Trey Pipkens: He's gotten noticeably bigger since being drafted. He will be their starter at one of the tackle positions next year.

Verdict: team could get by with doing nothing (& praying) if Okung returns next year. Pipkens and Lamp will be an upgrade...Q will be a downgrade. Chargers will probably draft in the mid teens: i'm guessing they go with a qb and attempt to resign Rivers to a 2 year deal. Future of left tackle position will continue to remain uncertain.

Comment

• Classic
      Hall Of Fame
      • Dec 2014
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Forrest Lamp: proved that he belongs as a starter, provided he can stay on the field. The ankle injury was a fluke and he should be ready to go start of next season. No nonsense about him fighting for a job like last time.

Scott Quessenberry: has done better than expected, but team doesn't know what it has with him. Other teams are evaluating his weaknesses at this point.

Dan Feeney: after 3 years still a question mark; needs to get stronger - overpowered by PJ Hall on 3rd and 1. Would have been helped with competent OT. Probably won't be resigned.

Mike Schofield: might bring back because of other needs....far from ideal. Better off looking for a veteran upgrade in free agency, particularly if Q starts next year.

Sam Tevi: a very low end starting RT.....very low end. Struggles in his back pedal and poor hand usage with poor awareness of space and positioning. People like his run blocking and have suggested moving him to guard....probably fails there.

Trey Pipkens: He's gotten noticeably bigger since being drafted. He will be their starter at one of the tackle positions next year.

Verdict: team could get by with doing nothing (& praying) if Okung returns next year. Pipkens and Lamp will be an upgrade...Q will be a downgrade. Chargers will probably draft in the mid teens: i'm guessing they go with a qb and attempt to resign Rivers to a 2 year deal. Future of left tackle position will continue to remain uncertain.
      No free agency targets that can help? Possible trade with Washington for Williams would solve ton of our problems

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

No free agency targets that can help? Possible trade with Washington for Williams would solve ton of our problems
        Scherff is an FA too.
        Doubt they can retain him.
        I want a starting Olineman round two
        plus a prized UFA, dammit.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• PMR9FAN
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Good luck to your new QB behind that line.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

They just extended Pouncey for next year. And despite his dead hit being fairly low....i doubt they let him go. Fuck they kept Travis Benjamin.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

My point was that its a lot easier to find a solid/decent NFL DT than RT; and if your qb is Rivers, its imperative that you go out and find one (or spend big bucks in free agency). The Chargers alone have 3 - 4 decent inexpensive DTs, but zero decent, healthy OTs. TT has had opportunities to upgrade the position, but he's basically ignored it after drafting Fluker. I liked Will Richardson - the alcoholic; I liked Daryl Williams a few years before Richardson: both 4rth round picks, both clearly better than Scott or Tevi, One can get by without investing a first round pick there & it is foolish to depend on raw converted DTs and rookie free agents from Alabama St.. Telesco just never pulls the trigger, and when he finally does, its a strange decision. He could have gotten Chuma Edoga with the Pipkens pick - the Jets are very happy with Edoga. They could have chosen David Edwards in the 5th and he would have been a definite upgrade.
              Don't think I'd agree with that. Fluker was slated by many to be a OG.

DTs can be a crap shoot and also be overdrafted.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Don't think I'd agree with that. Fluker was slated by many to be a OG.

DTs can be a crap shoot and also be overdrafted.
                I didn't mean star DTs who wreck offensive lines and who you hope to draft in the first round, I mean solid DTs who do their job with out exposing the whole defense. Solid 1 techs like Sylvester Williams or Danny Shelton are just sitting out there each year, and getting a solid 3 tech isn't that far behind in availability. But how many solid RTs are there? The league trends more towards Sam Tevi's than it does Lane Johnsons: guys who need constant help & their backups are disasters that can wreck the entire offense.

If both are a need, and your qb is Phillip Rivers, and your choice at draft time is between an RT and another position group, who does Telesco always choose? He really never has drafted an RT in his life: Fluker's skill set being OG, and Tevi's being DT.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                  They just extended Pouncey for next year. And despite his dead hit being fairly low....i doubt they let him go. Fuck they kept Travis Benjamin.
                  Pouncey's neck injury sounds like he's done. Chargers and him might reach a buyout and he retires.

Is that still possible? They did it with Fouts.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

I mentioned that Schofield's contract is up and it would behoove them to spend money & look for an upgrade to station next to Quessenberry.

I also expressed what they typically do - resign Schofield another two years and fill other holes.

I think the time has come to grab a qb. Lots of OTs will be available in the 2nd round and they'd probably miss out on Wirfs in the first.

I like Eason, he'll probably be available, he has the bloodlines and the production at Washington...go get him. They might resign Rivers two more years
                    and let him take the beating (while he grooms Eason) as an organizational parting gift. That's the Spanos way.

wudai would trade up for Wirfs... i'd have no problem with that

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

I agree that you have to work with the players you have. But you have to continually bring in new talent and a lot of it has to come from the top of the draft.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

I didn't mean star DTs who wreck offensive lines and who you hope to draft in the first round, I mean solid DTs who do their job with out exposing the whole defense. Solid 1 techs like Sylvester Williams or Danny Shelton are just sitting out there each year, and getting a solid 3 tech isn't that far behind in availability. But how many solid RTs are there? The league trends more towards Sam Tevi's than it does Lane Johnsons: guys who need constant help & their backups are disasters that can wreck the entire offense.

If both are a need, and your qb is Phillip Rivers, and your choice at draft time is between an RT and another position group, who does Telesco always choose? He really never has drafted an RT in his life: Fluker's skill set being OG, and Tevi's being DT.
                        Sylvester hasn't been the player he was thought to be and has bounced around a little and Sheldon has been meh for what he was projected to be. For the cheap though, worth the chance.

​​​​​​I think you can blame OT developement in college on schemes.
                        As for the Tevis vs Lane Johnson's....there aren't near as .any Johnson's out there as there are Tevis.

If you aren't picking early you have to trade up for the Johnsons or get lucky someone calls. Cajuste went round 3 but he is out for the year so who knows how good he will be yet. Wynn has been injured his 2 seasons.

Every draft is a crap shoot. Many more that don't plan out than those that do.

Comment

• SDBORN
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                          This off season has been a disaster on so many levels.

Comment

Working...
                          X