• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

AJ always upgraded the team's main weakness in the offseason. That's what TT doesn't do. He focuses on upgrading the D.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Mock draft pick, just because I like the commentary

Josh Myers C
      OHIO STATE • SOPH • 6'5" / 310 LBS
      PROJECTED TEAM

Kansas City
      PROSPECT RNK

40th
      POSITION RNK

9th
      The first round ends with two interior offensive linemen. It may seem boring but it's 2020, people. Do not lineman shame. The game starts on the line of scrimmage and if a team does not have capable players up front, the quarterback is going to get eaten alive and the skill players will not cook (because everyone is cooking these days, it seems). Be excited about offensive linemen
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
        Mock draft pick, just because I like the commentary

Josh Myers C
        OHIO STATE • SOPH • 6'5" / 310 LBS
        PROJECTED TEAM

Kansas City
        PROSPECT RNK

40th
        POSITION RNK

9th
        The first round ends with two interior offensive linemen. It may seem boring but it's 2020, people. Do not lineman shame. The game starts on the line of scrimmage and if a team does not have capable players up front, the quarterback is going to get eaten alive and the skill players will not cook (because everyone is cooking these days, it seems). Be excited about offensive linemen
        Late day 2 early day 3 dude.

Check out Orlando Umana (OC) UU. If no Creed Humphrey, Umana is a dude I like at OC or OG. Huge, physical, fairly nimble, and finishes opponents to the ground.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Late day 2 early day 3 dude.

Check out Orlando Umana (OC) UU. If no Creed Humphrey, Umana is a dude I like at OC or OG. Huge, physical, fairly nimble, and finishes opponents to the ground.
          I love Sunday pancakes.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

AJ always upgraded the team's main weakness in the offseason. That's what TT doesn't do. He focuses on upgrading the D.
            I think they both tried to address the weaknesses. TT just used FA more.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

AJ had a couple of great drafts early and then the roster gradually went downhill. When he left, the cupboard was pretty bare.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Popper's thoughts on Tevi's supposed improvement from last season:
                I will be the first to admit that I had concerns about Sam Tevi starting at left tackle entering this season. But through four games, he has more than held his own as a pass blocker, which is the part of Tevi’s game I was most worried about. According to Pro Football Focus, Tevi has only allowed six pressures in 287 snaps this season. That is the ninth-fewest among all NFL tackles with at least 250 snaps in 2020. It is still early in the season, and there is plenty of football to be played, but so far, Tevi looks like a much improved pass protector despite switching from the right side to the left during an abbreviated offseason.

So what is at play here? I think there are a few reasons for Tevi’s growth:
                1. James Campen is a really, really good offensive line coach with a proven record of developing athletic linemen, like Tevi, into terrific pass protectors. His influence cannot be overlooked here.
                2. The scheme is absolutely helping Tevi. The Chargers are using significantly more play action this season after moving on from Philip Rivers. They have used play action on 33.7 percent of their dropbacks through four weeks, including Taylor’s Week 1 start, according to PFF. With Rivers at quarterback last season, the Chargers ran play action on just 20.7 percent of dropbacks. Play action helps the offensive line because the threat of a run slows down pass rushers. The other scheme change helping Tevi — and the rest of the Chargers’ O-line for that matter — is more designed quarterback movement. This is really a component of the play action game, because your bootlegs and designed rollouts are typically happening after a fake handoff. But purposely moving the quarterback away from defensive linemen will, of course, take pressure off your offensive tackles.
                3. The Chargers have a mobile quarterback, and that escapability is going to make any offensive lineman look better. Herbert, particularly, has made big plays in off-script situations.

You can apply these same three reasons to the offensive line’s growth overall from a pass protection perspective.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                  Popper's thoughts on Tevi's supposed improvement from last season:
                  At the rate we're going the chargers might be paying our offensive coaching and training more than our head coach!

:cheers:
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Sam was my breakout player.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I think they both tried to address the weaknesses. TT just used FA more.
                      Both AJ and TT use FA as a desperation move. Neither has had much success with it.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Birmingham AL
                        • Send PM

I wish at least one of our O Linemen would have an ounce of pride, feel a little shame, but these guys are just here to collect a paycheck and not even put in an honest games effort.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Lamp, Tevi, Feeney played solid games.
                          Tevi gave up his first sack and 3 other pressures by my count.
                          Lamp missed a few blocks and gave up 3 pressures.
                          Feeney might get a sack credited to him but it was Groy who didn’t complete the pass off on the twist.
                          Pipkins got schooled for a couple of sacks but also had Groy missing assignments on stunt/blitz pickups next to him.
                          Ryan Groy was just a fucking disaster missing at least 14 blocking assignments. He also got manhandled into the backfield countless times. This dude needs to be cut.
                          What the fuck happened to Qberry?
                          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X