• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

If there is one offseason definite, it is saying goodbye to Turner.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
      San Diego Native
      • Feb 2019
      • Farmington, NM
      • Send PM

How are the Chargers going to improve left tackle?

The options I’ve read revolve around signing an aging Vet, rolling with Pip and Storm, obtaining one via the draft, or making a trade.

Aging Vets are available for a reason so not a good option. Pip and Storm were given an opportunity and got beat out by Tevi so definitely not a good option. Our draft slot is not early enough to count on drafting Sewell or Slater after which there is a steep drop off in talent so again, not a good option. What about trades?

Other than some talk awhile back of trading with the Ravens for OBJ, we haven’t really explored trade options.

I was thinking trade options when I remembered the 2018 draft. In that draft, the 49ers used the 9th overall pick to draft Mike McGlinchey out of Notre Dame. The 49ers then traded their starting right tackle, Trent Brown, to the Patriots for unsalted peanuts.

What if we did something similar?

Most mocks have the Bengals taking Sewell at #5. The Bengals have Jonah Williams at OLT and just signed Riley Reiff to play ORT. Williams is a solid player and is only 23 years old. If they draft Sewell will Williams be available? If so, what would be the cost? In my opinion, the Chargers should make a call and negotiate compensation and set up the possible trade in advance.

Similarly, recent mocks have the Panthers taking Sewell at #8. If so, will Greg Little be available? He has been injured since being drafted at #37 in 2019 but may be primed for a Trent Brown break-out type season if given a chance and a change of scenery.

Any thoughts or other options?

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by FarAwayBoltFan View Post

The options I’ve read revolve around signing an aging Vet, rolling with Pip and Storm, obtaining one via the draft, or making a trade.

Aging Vets are available for a reason so not a good option. Pip and Storm were given an opportunity and got beat out by Tevi so definitely not a good option. Our draft slot is not early enough to count on drafting Sewell or Slater after which there is a steep drop off in talent so again, not a good option. What about trades?

Other than some talk awhile back of trading with the Ravens for OBJ, we haven’t really explored trade options.

I was thinking trade options when I remembered the 2018 draft. In that draft, the 49ers used the 9th overall pick to draft Mike McGlinchey out of Notre Dame. The 49ers then traded their starting right tackle, Trent Brown, to the Patriots for unsalted peanuts.

Most mocks have the Bengals taking Sewell at #5. The Bengals have Jonah Williams at OLT and just signed Riley Reiff to play ORT. Williams is a solid player and is only 23 years old. If they draft Sewell will Williams be available? If so, what would be the cost? In my opinion, the Chargers should make a call and negotiate compensation and set up the possible trade in advance.

Similarly, recent mocks have the Panthers taking Sewell at #8. If so, will Greg Little be available? He has been injured since being drafted at #37 in 2019 but may be primed for a Trent Brown break-out type season if given a chance and a change of scenery.

No, and we will draft someone else.

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

wish it was Ramczyk, but think the most likely candidate is Arm$$tead.... ??
          RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

It’s an interesting idea. Jonah Williams would be cool but the Bengals aren’t going to trade him since Reiff is only on a one year deal. No to Greg Little. I just can’t think of another team off the top of my head that would be an improvement over someone if we draft LT in the either the first or second round. Plus the monetary cost would be a turn off. Maybe we’ll reassess after the draft.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Last year when nearly all of wanted Simons, I told everyone we will draft a QB because that's what TT does, he goes after his biggest need in the first round!

I bet the farm he's going to draft an OT in the first this year, the only question is which OT will he take?
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Last year when nearly all of wanted Simons, I told everyone we will draft a QB because that's what TT does, he goes after his biggest need in the first round!

I bet the farm he's going to draft an OT in the first this year, the only question is which OT will he take?
                Hopefully the right one.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

100% agreed. I was saying the same.
                  it's fun to overthink the draft process, but end of the day, Telesco's approach is straightforward
                  the results can be argued all day, but it's OLT at 13 all day.
                  Even if the pick is Jenkins, I bet the plan is for him at LOT
                  G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I don't think left tackle is any more a big need as another starting caliber corner. Stanley's defense is predicated on a deep defensive back room and right now we are far from that. I would put both needs pretty equal.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Hopefully the right one.
                      cornerback is a huge need.

they have only one on the outside that you can trust

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

I don’t agree there’s a big drop from Slater to Darrisaw, I’m not even convinced that is the right order. We’ll get a starting LT at 13. I think.

ok i hope.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

100% agreed. I was saying the same.
                          it's fun to overthink the draft process, but end of the day, Telesco's approach is straightforward
                          the results can be argued all day, but it's OLT at 13 all day.
                          Even if the pick is Jenkins, I bet the plan is for him at LOT
                          If corner is higher rated than LT, then Telesco has demonstrated in the past that he would go corner.

Remember when they drafted Mike Williams.....highest rated player on their board at position of need.

Plan #1: If Sewell gets past Cincy, offer a 2nd to move ahead of Dallas and pick Sewell.
                          Get your dbacks in rounds 3 & 4.

Plan #2A: Stay put at #13....select Horn/Farley/Surtain...who have more upside than Darrisaw
                          Pick a developmental LT in round 3

Plan #2B: Stay put at #13....select Horn/Farley/Surtain...who have more upside than Darrisaw
                          Move up (a 3rd?) to pick one of the last remaining Tier 2 tackles at the top of the 2nd round

Plan #2C : Stay put at #13....select Horn/Farley/Surtain...who have more upside than Darrisaw
                          Stay put and pick Liam Eichenberg who will fulfill your quota of Golden Domers

Plan#3: Stay put and pick one of the other tackles...who you think is equivalent in upside to Horn/Farley/Surtain
                          Pick your corner in rounds 2 or 3
                          Last edited by powderblueboy; 04-11-2021, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X