Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    Good posts Steve and nobber.

My kind of Trenchers.
    been banging the drum to improve the OL for years/ I didn't care if it was C, OG, or OT - just improve the OL. And with the age and injury concerns of Pouncey and Okung, Telesco needs to be smart and aggressive. Find the right damn fit.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

I would like to use BUF as the example to illustrate a big point to the Trenchers.

In the 2019 off season, BUF signed ORT Ty Nsekhe. Then they turned around and drafted Trencher favorite Cody Ford ORT @ 38.

BUF just came up short in the AFCWCG, exactly because they lacked a third WR, a big WR (see Cole Beasley/John Brown.)

In the 2019 Draft, BUF could have drafted PFF OROY AJ Brown or DK Metcalf even, @ 38.

BUF knew they had round three picks to play with. They might have drafted Bobby Evans OT @ 96 taken one pick later, instead of Dawson Knox TE.

It is possible to go too far in having a "back up plan" at OL.

The Chargers need to build a 53 man roster, as teams will match up differently, but will always take advantage of weaknesses, whether they are lack of depth at OT, or lack of a third WR.

WR#3 ought to be a high priority of LAC.
      A Slot WR who can beat press coverage for hot reads is of surprisingly crucial importance in helping Oline performance.

And...the front three at OT are Okung, Tevi and Pipkens !
      Last edited by wu-dai clan; 01-23-2020, 07:15 AM.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

I would like to use BUF as the example to illustrate a big point to the Trenchers.

In the 2019 off season, BUF signed ORT Ty Nsekhe. Then they turned around and drafted Trencher favorite Cody Ford ORT @ 38.

BUF just came up short in the AFCWCG, exactly because they lacked a third WR, a big WR (see Cole Beasley/John Brown.)

In the 2019 Draft, BUF could have drafted PFF OROY AJ Brown or DK Metcalf even, @ 38.

BUF knew they had round three picks to play with. They might have drafted Bobby Evans OT @ 96 taken one pick later, instead of Dawson Knox TE.

The Chargers need to build a 53 man roster, as teams will match up differently, but will always take advantage of weaknesses, whether they are lack of depth at OT, or lack of a third WR.

A Slot WR who can beat press coverage for hot reads is of surprisingly crucial importance in helping Oline performance.

Thats why I think I am okay - not that he will do this - I know he will go WR and CB - but I say go heavy on OL, interior DL, MLB, maybe TE over WR and CB. I think if you upgrade the Front 7 - -the ack four with a healthy Derwin can survive another year without adding and Okudah for instance. Maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder CB - fine. And WR - yes, they need a burner but do your scouting and find a guy in round 3 or round 4. But you build up your interior defense (MLB, NT, DT) and your OL - those other positions get better with the same personnel as 2019.

Telesco needs to quit going to Notre Dame for his damn draft picks and start going to the SEC or Clemson for petes sakes!

I just am not sure Telesco is a good evaluator of talent for the type of team he wants to build. What is his vision?

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

After two years as a starter, I just don't see much improvement by Tevi...I'd like to try kicking him inside...

Comment

• Sb4Rivers
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2019
            • Send PM

Pro Football focus ranked 2019 chargers OL #29 and the Colts #3. Reich HC and Sirianni OC both coached Rivers in San Diego.

I think Rivers has a better option if Colts want him.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

You know I'm a trencher but I'm going to surprise you. After watching the Senior Bowl practice the last few day, I think there are a lot more fine OT's in this draft - more than I was aware of. Because of that, I'm thinking we can wait until round two to get our replacement for Tevi.

I'm not sure though that using that pick for our third WR is wise. We could end up with the chance to add a great LB, CB, or DT with that pick and the WR position in this draft seems to also have a lot of talent.

Of course the truth is - they will likely take a QB. :mcnugget:
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

You know I'm a trencher but I'm going to surprise you. After watching the Senior Bowl practice the last few day, I think there are a lot more fine OT's in this draft - more than I was aware of. Because of that, I'm thinking we can wait until round two to get our replacement for Tevi.

I'm not sure though that using that pick for our third WR is wise. We could end up with the chance to add a great LB, CB, or DT with that pick and the WR position in this draft seems to also have a lot of talent.

I agree...... this draft is deep at OL, and WR....... plus Chargers have alot of FA money we can use to aquire a few solid vets on the OL and maybe at DT.....

The problem is with Rivers gone, we have no QB....so we absolutely must acquire one of the top 2 QB's...... we cannot gamble on inconsistent QB's who likely never will be more than career backups.......

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

There will be lots of time for us all to tighten up our big boards.

I for one am trying to be very specific about which type of players are perfect fits to build on what we have.

Free agency will change everything at OL & WR both.

Believe me chargeroo, I am looking at the Olinemen, early, midround and late !

Personally, I could live with ANY one of the consensus top ten players @ 6.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Thats why I think I am okay - not that he will do this - I know he will go WR and CB - but I say go heavy on OL, interior DL, MLB, maybe TE over WR and CB. I think if you upgrade the Front 7 - -the ack four with a healthy Derwin can survive another year without adding and Okudah for instance. Maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder CB - fine. And WR - yes, they need a burner but do your scouting and find a guy in round 3 or round 4. But you build up your interior defense (MLB, NT, DT) and your OL - those other positions get better with the same personnel as 2019.

Telesco needs to quit going to Notre Dame for his damn draft picks and start going to the SEC or Clemson for petes sakes!

I just am not sure Telesco is a good evaluator of talent for the type of team he wants to build. What is his vision?
                    We were told that the midwest scout has a lot of pull with the team.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

We were told that the midwest scout has a lot of pull with the team.
                      Sounds like favoritism...resulting in cognitive dissonance when it comes to talent evaluation...end result is losing seasons...

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Just a few misconceptions in Charger fandom.

TT said no splash signings for SoFi.
                        TT said our exciting is not his exciting.
                        TT said beware of expensive names @ UFA how do not project future production.

For The Trenchers (and I know you are out there lol) ...
                        we are looking for midlevel scheme fits, not maulers.
                        TT just got himself some breathing room, post King Dunlap, Orlando Franklin, etc.
                        Crap Okung was expensive enough but there has been some ROI.
                        Wait and see re Okung and Pouncey's health.
                        Lamp is back...it was just broken bones that will surely heal.
                        Quessenberry is almost exciting.
                        Schofield, not my guy but he'll return.
                        Pipkens is coming on man, faster than molasses.
                        TT is still excited about Tyrod Taylor, Pouncey, Watkins, Thomas Davis? His exciting isn't our exciting.

Good organizations win in free agency (just check the Super Bowl teams), and bad organizations fail.

TT has been the GM for 7 years, and there was only one starter/reserve obtained in free agency who made a substantial contribution last year. Not good!

He doesn't have to make a splash signing, but to automatically rule it out is asinine.

Perhaps he doesn't expect to compete with KC next year.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

TT is still excited about Tyrod Taylor, Pouncey, Watkins, Thomas Davis? His exciting isn't our exciting.

Good organizations win in free agency (just check the Super Bowl teams), and bad organizations fail.

TT has been the GM for 7 years, and there was only one starter/reserve obtained in free agency who made a substantial contribution last year. Not good!

He doesn't have to make a splash signing, but to automatically rule it out is asinine.

Perhaps he doesn't expect to compete with KC next year.
                          TT will be selective in signing UFAs,
                          so as to have cap health for keeping our own.

The signings will be B grade, $$ players
                          we barely have heard of,
                          rather than overpriced marquee players past their primes.

I am pumped.

Comment

Working...
                          X