Saints at Chargers Game Day Thread (Preseason #2)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
    Teamer had a monster game. I saw him all over the field. Well done rook.
    Agree, Costa. That one play when Teamer set the edge vs. Hill and boxed him inside for a TFL was classic. Teamer plays like a vet...has a nose for the ball and is also great on ST's...u just can't coach instincts...

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

My concern is dealing with what we have here and unfortunately it's bad very very bad. I'm sure the coaches are working their tails off to try and get the players who can play coached up but as a fan I'm looking at this tackle group and I'm worried for PRs health and our offenses viability in a pass rush happy league.

Miller and Clark are going to camp out in PRs lap.
      If you're worried about PR's health, worry more about the interior OL. PR can make do it's mediocre tackles. Another reason why trading for Trent Williams would be foolish.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Really? I get where youre going here but thats apples to alligators. Rivers could have started day one as the most NFL ready QB in that Draft. He didnt because DB figured it out and LT went Super Saiyan. Pipkins is a different story and you know it

Pipkins as a reach is being exposed because of Okungs illness. It was a risky pick that was supposed to be covered up by a great LT in Okung. Now that pick is being exposed as a reach. I was hoping like the rest of us he would surprise us all but he is what we thougth he was, a DII prospect.

"By Lance Zierlein
        NFL Analyst
        Draft Projection
        Round 4
        Overview
        Developmental tackle prospect who offers NFL-caliber size, length and athletic ability for teams willing to work out the technique kinks. Pipkins has quick feet but needs to prove he can gain adequate depth with his initial pass slides in order to work to his set points against edge speed. He has Day 3 draft potential, but the jump in competition makes him a likely practice squad candidate early on."
        So based on Zierlein's draft projection, you would have been fine with the pick if we traded a few picks down into the 4th and gotten him there instead?

Oh and if you remember what happened with Rivers after his rookie holdout, he looked nowhere ready during his preseason debut. Heck he was shaky in 2006 preseason as well. There were like 4 fumbles during the Seahawks preseason game.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

My concern is dealing with what we have here and unfortunately it's bad very very bad. I'm sure the coaches are working their tails off to try and get the players who can play coached up but as a fan I'm looking at this tackle group and I'm worried for PRs health and our offenses viability in a pass rush happy league.

Miller and Clark are going to camp out in PRs lap.
          These guys need snaps.

Were you really expecting anything different ?

Recovery...a very important trait for Olinemen...within a snap, from snap to snap, from game to game.

I expect TScott to bounce back, Lamp to get better and better, Pouncey to lead. No comment about Tevi...err powerful out in space.

My candidates for a trade continue to be HOU and PHI. PHI just got an exemption for the Army OT as a developmental guy, in addition to them being deep already. These eyes are wide open, Sir. I see the preseason shit show too.
          Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Budsman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

So based on Zierlein's draft projection, you would have been fine with the pick if we traded a few picks down into the 4th and gotten him there instead?
            And gotten some draft capital as well? Yes it would have been less of reach. Did you see the part where he's considered a 4th round practice squad candidate not a third round take a roster spot 2-3 year project. Third round picks are supposed to be players who can start on your team or at the very least be quality back ups, Not a 2-3 year project.

Its obvious you think he was a great pick up in the third, I hope your right in 2-3 years, in the mean time enjoy watching PR harassed and crushed by the elite pass rushers in our division. (Thank goodness Gruden is foolish and we don't have to face Miller,Clark and Mack)

Comment

• Budsman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

These guys need snaps.

Were you really expecting anything different ?

Recovery...a very important trait for Olinemen...within a snap, from snap to snap, from game to game.

I expect TScott to bounce back, Lamp to get better and better, Pouncey to lead. No comment about Tevi...err powerful out in space.

My candidates for a trade continue to be HOU and PHI. PHI just got an exemption for the Army OT as a developmental guy, in addition to them being deep already. These eyes are wide open, Sir. I see the preseason shit show too.
              I agree about trades, sure we differ on targets but a move needs to be made. I'm talking about a reach in TP but our online is seriously neglected. A 7th rounder and a Udfa starting because we put all our eggs in the Okung basket. We drafted a huge project in the third because we focused defense in the 1st and 2nd and were forced to reach for need due to neglect at T in the third.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                We Are The Storm!
                • Aug 2018
                • Send PM

This is how I've felt since the day of the draft.We need better o linemen.Period.

Comment

• Budsman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                  This is how I've felt since the day of the draft.We need better o linemen.Period.
                  Especially with PR being less than athletic. Of course it's always good to invest in ol but even more so when your QB is a pocket passer like PR.

Maybe spending 5 million on Tyrod Taylor was insurance for their lack of online commitment. Or maybe it was a way for the organization to help PR into retirement.

Im joking of course, but not about the lack of OL investment, that's deadly serious.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                    First impression recap......

Kyzir is our Mike - calls the D - TEs and RBs will have a tough road to hoe - he and TDAVIS should be a force on the 2nd level

JJacks is looking really good

OLine is inconsistent but very physical.

Rayshawn looks to have improved his play reco speed - huge for us

Ty Long has won the punter/holder/KO duties

Rodick Teamer is going to make the 53

Justin Jones, Tillery, Cortez w/Mebane will form a solid rotation inside

Lanier makes the 53 - 2 solid weeks straight

Pope has the edge over Detrez and Cox

Dzubner is just too slow to be on the field

Egbule looks a bit lost
                    image.png

Yep. Egbule looked to have Hill for a TFL but somehow overpursued, letting Hill turn to his right, turn around and scramble for a big gainer.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                      '74 !!
                      Boltgang or don't bang !!
                      I know how you roll...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

I agree about trades, sure we differ on targets but a move needs to be made. I'm talking about a reach in TP but our online is seriously neglected. A 7th rounder and a Udfa starting because we put all our eggs in the Okung basket. We drafted a huge project in the third because we focused defense in the 1st and 2nd and were forced to reach for need due to neglect at T in the third.
                        I became concerned the day Kris Dielman had to retire. Marcus McNeill was already gone. Hardwick was getting old. That's critical mass. It has been a work in progress ever since.

A trade up for Jonah Williams or Andre Dillard was our shot in '19, regarding talent level and scheme fit.

The Chargers want to have a serious D in place, the first time we come out of the tunnel at Kroenke's palace.

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

So, the o-line yesterday, officially gave up1 sack for 4 yards. Sure the QBs needed much more time and the run game could have much better blocks, but they can build on that.

Rivers doesn't need a squeaky clean pocket to perform.

The o-line should get better each week.

Rivers will make them look better.

And the coaches game plan and in game adjustments can find ways to slow up a player like V.Miller. From running at him, to chipping, to screens to quick throws before rush can get there.

I did not see a lot of pre snap penalties, which is a good sign that Lynn has them coached well.
                          Post snap, the holds were an issue. These young guys need playing time to improve.

They will grow up faster playing with Rivers.
                          Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                          X