Saints at Chargers Game Day Thread (Preseason #2)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
    Minus Okung, this is the same Oline that was a top 10 Offensive and won 13 games last season.
    Ive been in on a top tier OT in the past 2 drafts but who can argue with the picks we made?
    Minus Okung for an undetermined period, plus a highly touted 2nd round OG and more experience & development for other OL. Nothing is guaranteed but the interior OL should be improved over 2018 and as Xenos points out, that is a key to our offensive success.

Comment

• SDBORN
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
      Looking through this thread, people are still worried about the wrong OL. Don't get me wrong, having a premiere (albeit injured) LT like Trent Williams sounds great, but it's the interior OL that will make or break a QB like Rivers. It's not a coincidence that PR's great season last year ran into a slump when Pouncey started to wear down and both guards (Feeney and Schofield) started letting in interior pressure. Rivers is slow as molasses outside the pocket but he's one of the best at moving inside the pocket. I would almost say best given the amount that he has to maneuver compared to someone like Brees or Brady. If the the interior OL is good, we will be fine because it plays into Rivers' quick release, pocket presence, and mind. Blitz pickups are easier to deal with when you have both Pouncey and Rivers at the helm.

I posted this article before but it bears repeating:
      You may have followed an outdated link, or have mistyped a URL

Interestingly enough (as slow as he may be), through the first 5-6 games last year, Rivers held the number 1 passing rating in the league outside the pocket. By that point in the season, he was ranked the 4th best league-wide from inside the pocket. I believe he was also ranked the top against pressure at that point as well.

Pouncey was a stud last year before he wore down. If the line still looks bad with Pouncey in it, then it's time to hit the panic button. For the time being, we haven't really seen our real lineup in action so the jury is out, but in theory it should be improved. Depth is a major concern either way with how things are looking though.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Minus Okung for an undetermined period, plus a highly touted 2nd round OG and more experience & development for other OL. Nothing is guaranteed but the interior OL should be improved over 2018 and as Xenos points out, that is a key to our offensive success.
        I concur.
        Lamp is provides more depth if nothing else. We have 5 guys on the IOL that are capable of playing very well.
        I like the physicality the Oline is playing with. Are there things to improve, cleanup, etc? Absolutely! Are they shitting the bed? No.
        I like TScott at LOT. He is really good in the run game and decent in passpro. More snaps he gets the better he gets.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

Interestingly enough (as slow as he may be), through the first 5-6 games last year, Rivers held the number 1 passing rating in the league outside the pocket. By that point in the season, he was ranked the 4th best league-wide from inside the pocket. I believe he was also ranked the top against pressure at that point as well.

Pouncey was a stud last year before he wore down. If the line still looks bad with Pouncey in it, then it's time to hit the panic button. For the time being, we haven't really seen our real lineup in action so the jury is out, but in theory it should be improved. Depth is a major concern either way with how things are looking though.
          If we need to trade for an OL, let it be a a stud guard or center. It's the more realistic approach compared to getting someone like Trent Williams.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I concur.
            Lamp is provides more depth if nothing else. We have 5 guys on the IOL that are capable of playing very well.
            I like the physicality the Oline is playing with. Are there things to improve, cleanup, etc? Absolutely! Are they shitting the bed? No.
            I like TScott at LOT. He is really good in the run game and decent in passpro. More snaps he gets the better he gets.
            There has been quite a lot of bed-shitting, sir. I worry more about the three interior spots and than the OTs, and that's saying a lot!

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Antonio Brown was traded to Oakland for a 3rd and 5th pick, and he will only get paid about the same as Williams (that is what Brown's new deal is worth). That would be a reasonable comp since they are both similar in terms of overall impact, age and salary. If you factor in the dead money for Washington, we actually come out ahead in terms of the salary.

Considering Williams has sworn to never play for the Redskins again, they will have to break down and try and get what they can. We can even ask them to take Gordon off our hands, to fee up their salary cap space. Washington wouldn't have been able to sign Penn unless they knew Williams was willing to hold out. Penn wasn't going to go to TC unless he was basically promised a starting job, and there is no way he is going to sit the bench. Penn

There are no other good to great OL available at this point, at any other OL positions. Guys like Schrader might play a bit better than Tevi at first, but their performance is not that much better overall, and in time Tevi will be performing at a similar level. But Schrader is in his early 30's and is losing his skills fast, where TEvi is still very young and hasn't been playing football very long.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

Maybe we give Feeney some reps at C to reduce wear and tear on Pouncey?

Comment

• SDBORN
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Maybe we give Feeney some reps at C to reduce wear and tear on Pouncey?
                  I think that's the writing on the wall... At least based on how he's been used this offseason.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Antonio Brown was traded to Oakland for a 3rd and 5th pick, and he will only get paid about the same as Williams (that is what Brown's new deal is worth). That would be a reasonable comp since they are both similar in terms of overall impact, age and salary. If you factor in the dead money for Washington, we actually come out ahead in terms of the salary.

Considering Williams has sworn to never play for the Redskins again, they will have to break down and try and get what they can. We can even ask them to take Gordon off our hands, to fee up their salary cap space. Washington wouldn't have been able to sign Penn unless they knew Williams was willing to hold out. Penn wasn't going to go to TC unless he was basically promised a starting job, and there is no way he is going to sit the bench. Penn

There are no other good to great OL available at this point, at any other OL positions. Guys like Schrader might play a bit better than Tevi at first, but their performance is not that much better overall, and in time Tevi will be performing at a similar level. But Schrader is in his early 30's and is losing his skills fast, where TEvi is still very young and hasn't been playing football very long.
                    I looked at Ryan Schrader a while ago. Hard pass. He went from his first Pro Bowl to barely better than Tevi, in one season. He is done.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

We are getting much needed snaps for young players. Position flexibility is an issue. Trying players in different spots is a good idea, especially since we dress 7. That's Feeney OR Qberry + Swing Tackle. We will pick up a Swing Tackle after RSG1. Don't panic.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

If we need to trade for an OL, let it be a a stud guard or center. It's the more realistic approach compared to getting someone like Trent Williams.
                        I don't think there is a single team in the league that has such deep depth on the line that they would look to trade any kind of a good offensive lineman to another team, especially at this point in the preseason. Williams is mentioned because he is a huge update over both tackles and is possibly available because of his holdout. Whatever linemen become available after the final cuts won't be anyone much different than what we currently have on the roster - possibly a small improvement on the back end of the rotation but nobody that will make much of a difference. We rolled the dice on the young guys improving and it looks like we will live or die with them - unless we can pry Williams out of WA.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I don't think there is a single team in the league that has such deep depth on the line that they would look to trade any kind of a good offensive lineman to another team, especially at this point in the preseason. Williams is mentioned because he is a huge update over both tackles and is possibly available because of his holdout. Whatever linemen become available after the final cuts won't be anyone much different than what we currently have on the roster - possibly a small improvement on the back end of the rotation but nobody that will make much of a difference. We rolled the dice on the young guys improving and it looks like we will live or die with them - unless we can pry Williams out of WA.
                          We may be able to pick up a RT who has better pass pro skills than Tevi...maybe not a road-grader in ground game, but an upgrade at T in pass pro would be a plus, especially if Whiz is calling a lot of pass plays in a certain series...

Comment

Working...
                          X