Clear All
  • Panama
    パナマ
    • Aug 2013
    • London
    • Opera singer and web developer.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
    I don't dislike Tutu either, but calling him a viable WR, even as a backup, is ridiculous.

If we can get his gunner spot reasonably covered by another position (not unreasonable to think we can IMO), he'll lose his roster spot to a better WR (not hard).
    Tutu is a viable WR.
    Adipose

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

I don't dislike Tutu either, but calling him a viable WR, even as a backup, is ridiculous.

If we can get his gunner spot reasonably covered by another position (not unreasonable to think we can IMO), he'll lose his roster spot to a better WR (not hard).
      glad you are not our GM. Clueless would be an understatement of your analysis here.
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• MakoShark
        Disgruntled
        • Jun 2013
        • North Alabama
        • Send PM

At Tutu's 61% catch rate I don't think Blueman is that far off. You guys act like he isn't replaceable.
        sigpic

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
          At Tutu's 61% catch rate I don't think Blueman is that far off. You guys act like he isn't replaceable.
          There's a lot of distance between viable (or even decent) and irreplaceable. I don't think anyone is saying Tutu is the next Jerry Rice, but he sure as heck ain't chopped liver such that any pretender who flashes a bit of speed is automatically going to consign him to the waiver wire.

Tutu is a decent WR who has had good chemistry with our QB and is a huge contributor on ST but has little upside. However, despite his lack of upside, given his worth on ST and his chemistry with teammates, it will take one heck of a performance by a rookie with promise to unseat him. It could happen; we shall see.
          Adipose

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Tutu was not even on the roster till midseason, then he did play quite a bit in the middle of the season. Granted it was mostly due to injury, but he was getting open. If I recall, there were some passes that were off target and he did drop a couple. But he had a couple of big catches.

Then we really didn't play him at WR late in the year very much. We pretty much stuck to 2 TE and 2 WR, and rotated in Royal and Brown, while Allen took the other spot.

I don't know how good Grice is, but he would have to be a pretty good gunner to be able to displace Tutu in that role. In time, maybe, but not that many rookies take those roles that early in their careers. Plus, I think there is room for both. Any gunner is going to be a reasonably solid lane person too, so it is not like it would hurt to have ST ability. Again, the key to our success was mostly due to field position, and consistency on offense last year.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I'd like to if Chris Davis can be a gunner for us.

Thanks for reminding me Steve, as shitty as Brown was playing for most of last year, he still started ahead of Tutu. Sounds like the coaches don't consider him all that viable. But maybe in his 5th season the lights go on for him? I'll hold my breath (and if he proves me - and the coaches - wrong I'll gladly eat crow, love his size and attitude but that's not enough at WR).
              Last edited by blueman; 07-28-2014, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Time to kill this thread "See Ya Mouton" has got more run on the website than he has on the field. We are talking about everything but Mouton now, which is not a bad thing.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Lol, Osgood v2.0.

Tutu's play as a gunner makes him hard to replace; his play as a WR is something you want to replace. But he's running with the 2s, let's see how he does.

Comment

• Panama
                    パナマ
                    • Aug 2013
                    • London
                    • Send PM

as shitty as Brown was playing for most of last year, he still started ahead of Tutu.
                    The thing is, as shitty as Brown was playing for most of last year, he wasn't playing that badly for most of last year. He had 2 very highly visible mistakes that led to INTs, and he lacked a bit of the crispness and burst running routes that he has in the past. But he still did plenty of things well. Most fans just use the same tunnel vision judging Brown that they do judging Clary.

Assuming no injuries, the WR depth chart is: Floyd, Allen, Royal, Brown, Tutu, Reese, Inman. If we only keep 5 WRs, there's a chance Reese or Inman beat out Tutu. I wouldn't be surprised if we keep 6, with Inman the odd man out.
                    Adipose

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Tutu is a better WR tehn Osgood was. He is not great, but for a 4th/5th WR, he is OK.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Really? One thing I always appreciated about Osgood as a WR was his blocking. There wasn't anything else, really. Tutu struggles to get separation, seems to run the wrong or at least sloppy routes, and has suspect hands (all true of Osgood back then too). And, don't remember him ever throwing a block, but he hasn't had a lot of opportunity.

Tutu may become a better 5th WR in time, but I'd take 5th year Osgood over 5th year Tutu, easy.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

I think you are in the minority on that one. I understand that Tutu doesn't get a lot of separation, but my recollection is that he is a much better route runner and receiver as Osgood. Not as good a blocker, but none of our current WR are that good at blocking.

As big a reason as anything will probably be that Tutu and Mathews have been roommates and training partners for a long time. I believe that if you watch the latest on of Mathews jumping up stairs downtown, you can see Tutu in some of the shots as well. Not saying that it would make the difference in him making the roster or not, just saying that it is a factor and might be a tie breaker.

In any case, the Chargers coaches, unlike all of us, don't make their decisions now. They need all of these guys, and they need to let the process play out in TC. Guys will get better, or not develop. New guys enter the mix. The situation is fluid and dynamic, so you just have to see how guys play and see how makes what spots for it to all work out.

Comment

Working...
                          X