• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AZBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Thomas Davis absolutely sucks. I can understand Phillips sucking because he's supposed to be a STs only player (and he's a stud in that role) that should only play like 5-10 snaps on defense in sub packages but Davis? That's inexcusable.

No wonder Carolina was in such a hurry to get rid of his ass. Only thing worse than his whiffed tackles is his coverage. I bet even our blocking TEs like Green and Culkin beat him badly in practices.

Just because he's a good character guy and cause he used to be good 3 years or whenever shouldn't mean he plays so many snaps when his play doesn't justify it. Give Tranquil opportunities and let him grow and develop.
    Totally agree, he is a bad football player at this stage of his career.......and make him captain? I'm starting to wonder about Lynn and Bradley, Need performance, not rah rah bullshit.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by AZBolt View Post

True, but both of the TD penalties were marginal IMO and didn't need to be called......Ekeler's fumble was inexcusable and cost us the game.....not only fumble cost us 7 points, but equally important KILLED OUR MOMENTUM.

Having the punter kick FG was a disaster waiting to happen, Long sucked in preseason with FG and GM did nothing .....Yea, Rivers winged it at the end bc Noone had confidence Long would make the darn FG.
      They were overconfident in Long based on last week. I suspect Bags could have gone but they wanted to give him another week and didn't think it was a risk. ‍♂️

They should have considered it 4 down territory when they had a 3rd and 2 before Long's second miss. Try to pound it on 3rd knowing you had 4th to convert

Comment

• Rugger05
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

They were overconfident in Long based on last week. I suspect Bags could have gone but they wanted to give him another week and didn't think it was a risk. *♂️

They should have considered it 4 down territory when they had a 3rd and 2 before Long's second miss. Try to pound it on 3rd knowing you had 4th to convert
        You are correct they should of ran it with the intention of it being four down territory. This was just a classic Charger loss we have all seen so many times

Comment

• Krazy_Legs
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

They were overconfident in Long based on last week. I suspect Bags could have gone but they wanted to give him another week and didn't think it was a risk. *♂️

Lynn and Telesco have screwed around with kicking game the last two years with very mixed results (being kind here). Two seasons ago, it cost the team the playoffs. Last year, they were very fortunate to find Badgley mid season. This year, it's already cost them a game.

Comment

• BlackMamba
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Krazy_Legs View Post

Lynn and Telesco have screwed around with kicking game the last two years with very mixed results (being kind here). Two seasons ago, it cost the team the playoffs. Last year, they were very fortunate to find Badgley mid season. This year, it's already cost them a game.
            This. We don't know the severity of the injury, but he practiced on Friday and it APPEARS he was good enough to go today if he really had to. Lynn (or whoever made the decision) and the team keep trying to get cute with the kicking game and assumed just because we got lucky one week, that it would be fine without Badgley this week. So basically they didn't value the importance of a completely winnable regular season game enough, and that's inexcusable.

Comment

• BlackMamba
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2019
              • Send PM

That being said, I don't necessarily blame them for not going 4 down territory on the drive before the last one. Keep in mind Long hit his first FG of the day from a similar distance, and it's not like the second one was way off the mark (bounced off the upright). Hindsight is a b*, but at that point in time, he wasn't completely a lost cause.

And does it matter if the mentality is 4 down territory when freakin' Rivers is going for broke on 3rd down regardless? Another inexcusable mistake, and that from a guy who should know way better. He had the TE wide open underneath on that 3rd and 19. Could've easily chopped off 10-15 yards and left us with a convertible 4th down.

At the end of day, a ton of players and coaches f'ed up, and it was a complete team breakdown. I can't really single out any one person. The only guys who can hold their head up high are probably the receivers, JJ, Bosa, and Hayward. Surprisingly, the O-line wasn't half bad, either.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
                Superbowl?
                • Sep 2018
                • Los Angeles/Chicago
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
                The football team played better than I thought they would. I expected them to get blown out. Run defense was bad for 1 quarter but pretty solid for 3 quarters. Pass protection was really good all things considered. Usually on the road in a loud environment you see Rivers at least 20 times at the line of scrimmage yelling and clapping his hands frantically trying to get the snap in time, but that didn't happen at all today. What beat us today were errors this team usually doesn't make: dropped balls, penalties, and easy missed kicks. I thought it was par for the course given the game against the colts should have been a loss. Win a game you shoulda lost and lose a game you shoulda won. All in all not a lot to be discouraged about. Houston will come in playing man coverage next week and I expect the offense to play well.

Did you'll hear Rivers talking trash to the Lions linebacker before the big Inman completion? He was under center in the middle of his cadence and pointed right at him and said "We're getting ready to hit this right here" Gotta love that guy.
                10 points is not better than I thought when there are teams, qb's, o co-ords putting up huge points/statistics, ie. Murray in AZ, Mahommes in KC, Lamar in Balt, Brady in NE, those teams are not scoring only 10 points. 10 points is a point to where you wonder if this is a 1-15 team and need to start over.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                  Outback Goon
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Australia
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Det had the play pretty well covered across the board.

It was only a 3 player route. JJ was in pass protection helping Scott. Green helps pass block with Tevi and then releases on a short crossing route, which was probably the best option, although since it was 3rd and 19, it was a very good choice.

Allen is running the flag/corner route on the backside, and the FS is lurking in the middle, reading Rivers eyes. Not only does he have Allen over the top, but he is also in a position to take away Williams post route. On the highlight, it looks like Williams is open, but that is only after the FS breaks on the ball. Williams and Allen are both doubled by the FS.

The only really good choice would depend on what Benjamin was doing, but after the number of drops Benjamin had, I can't say I would blame Rivers for not going there.

If Rivers was going to try and be sneaky and throw Allen open despite the double coverage, he needed to throw it in a lot flatter, so that Slay wasn't going to be able to make a play on the ball. By putting so much air under the ball, Slay had plenty of time to get his head around and find it in the air.
                  good points about the FS watching Phil's eyes. I think a pump fake to Allen and then hit Mike W on the 5yd line let him push his way into the end zone.

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

not totally blown out.... 'twas a road game, we had lost last time around in Detroit 38-10, and they had beat the Pats last year, and.... @least both the Bronks and Raiders lost.

more good stuff were Ty's punts, our kick coverage, Des' returns, the run D, held Hockenson in check, and MW had some pretty beastly receptions.

think the key factor was PR and for whatever reason.... think alotta peoples here have crowned this his season, and as stated, @least statwise, he had some accuracy issues, along w/falling short in crunch time, something he has a bit of a history w/@times.

that said Golladay had a good game (was that Heyward on him for most of the game ?), and didn't see that coming from Jahlani Tavai, Slay slowed down Keenan as well, not to mention the telltale tripwire.... our execution >> fumble, INT, missed FGs, point killing penalties, overthrows and dropped passes.

and liked what I saw from Whiz last week against Indy, and guessin' Detroit was much the stouter D up the gut w/their IDL & MLB, and.... can't say that he can't be upgraded, as wouldn't flinch if we overpaid for David Shaw as our OC and Asst HC.

my first ? is does Phil have enough @wideout down HH & MG ?? next up and personally, think we should get the ball to JJ and even Virgil a bit more often.

and doubt that Thomas D. sucks.... injuries suck, and.... agree, that putting Drue out there wouldn't suck.

will also add that it appears that Badgley hasn't lost his job, as he is nails from 40+, and.... keep reading how we are really well coached.... what gives ?? (w/the players ?)
                    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

This game was like the stinker we had against the Broncos last year, losing a game by letting an inferior opponent hang around and doing enough dumb things to give it to them.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                        We Are The Storm!
                        • Aug 2018
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                        This game was like the stinker we had against the Broncos last year, losing a game by letting an inferior opponent hang around and doing enough dumb things to give it to them.
                        And I believe that game cost is the chance at a Lombardi last year.

Comment

• Big Dog
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

On first take this morning, nick said "the Chargers lose a close game they should have won because of their injuries and kicking game failures ... but we say that about the Chargers every single year since Tomlinson left" ...

ouch, accurate, but man that hurts!

Comment

Working...
                          X