• Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    Swing pass to Johnson. Launchwhiff by Phillips:

image.png

Launchwhiff by Davis:

image.png

Missed tackle by Mebane:

image.png

Wow, three whiffs for the price of one. Phillips and Davis, between this and last week, are officially inducted into the Jaleel Addae Launchwhiffy Hall of Shame...
    probably the ugliest def play all day. It had me screaming at my TV. My screaming for this play was only over shadowed by the INT by Phil at the end. Now i gotta find some good in this mess....

thanks for the pics Cat

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Those are some very poor QB decisions and plays down the stretch. And to think he admitted he was ok with throwing it up thinking incomplete or interference and let's go kick. What?!?! Are you kidding me Philip? Your okay with that!

How about not get the delay and then thinking throw it to someone open, maybe underneath for easy completion and yac might get enough for 1st down. Keep drive alive and go get the TD. If not kick it.

No wonder Rivers makes too many questionable throws in late game situations during his career.
      He is Not thinking take what is open and get yac on 3rd & long in late 4th quarter drive. He is thinking throw it up, incomplete, interference, awww shucks I threw a pick.
      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• SDBORN
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
        Those are some very poor QB decisions and plays down the stretch. And to think he admitted he was ok with throwing it up thinking incomplete or interference and let's go kick. What?!?! Are you kidding me Philip? Your okay with that!

How about not get the delay and then thinking throw it to someone open, maybe underneath for easy completion and yac might get enough for 1st down. Keep drive alive and go get the TD. If not kick it.

No wonder Rivers makes too many questionable throws in late game situations during his career.
        He is Not thinking take what is open and get yac on 3rd & long in late 4th quarter drive. He is thinking throw it up, incomplete, interference, awww shucks I threw a pick.
        That response by Rivers was pretty ridiculous.

Was he the only problem today? Absolutely not. Ekler fumble, missed figgies, etc. killed us. But Rivers, the leader, with a chance to at least put us in position to tie, needs to get his head on straight in those situations. Horrible decision.

Comment

• SDBORN
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

probably the ugliest def play all day. It had me screaming at my TV. My screaming for this play was only over shadowed by the INT by Phil at the end. Now i gotta find some good in this mess....

thanks for the pics Cat
          Agreed. Looks like Bradley should be teaching the defense fundamentals.

Comment

• UglyTruth
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2018
            • Send PM

Yeah I'm with you guys, that response by Rivers for INT is bullcrap. I'm a big Rivers guy and he's my favorite athlete in sports (and I watch all 4 major American sports) but he has to know better than to throw up passes hoping for a flag at that point in the game. It's not like we're down 2 possessions or something, we're down 3, that's it. Take something shorter underneath and give the WR a chance for YAC or try someone else that's open like Mike Williams.

I hope Rivers never again in his life will justify throwing an INT with the reasoning of "Oh I was trying to draw a flag". This isn't basketball and Rivers isn't James Harden.

Ugh such a frustrating loss.
            Last edited by UglyTruth; 09-15-2019, 05:17 PM.
            Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
            - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
            - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
            - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
            - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
            - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
            - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• SDBORN
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
              Yeah I'm with you guys, that response by Rivers for INT is bullcrap. I'm a big Rivers guy and he's my favorite athlete in sports (and I wish all 4 major American sports) but he has to know better than to throw up passes hoping for a flag at that point in the game. It's not like we're down 2 possessions or something, we're down 3, that's it. Take something shorter underneath and give the WR a chance for YAC or try someone else that's open like Mike Williams.

I hope Rivers never again in his life will justify throwing an INT with the reasoning of "Oh I was trying to draw a flag". This isn't basketball and Rivers isn't James Harden.

Ugh such a frustrating loss.
              After that response, if I'm Lynn, I'm getting whiz and Rivers in a meeting to talk it over. That just can't happen again in that situation. Someone needs to get in his face.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2018
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                Swing pass to Johnson. Launchwhiff by Phillips:

image.png

Launchwhiff by Davis:

image.png

Missed tackle by Mebane:

image.png

Wow, three whiffs for the price of one. Phillips and Davis, between this and last week, are officially inducted into the Jaleel Addae Launchwhiffy Hall of Shame...
                Thomas Davis absolutely sucks. I can understand Phillips sucking because he's supposed to be a STs only player (and he's a stud in that role) that should only play like 5-10 snaps on defense in sub packages but Davis? That's inexcusable.

No wonder Carolina was in such a hurry to get rid of his ass. Only thing worse than his whiffed tackles is his coverage. I bet even our blocking TEs like Green and Culkin beat him badly in practices.

Just because he's a good character guy and cause he used to be good 3 years or whenever shouldn't mean he plays so many snaps when his play doesn't justify it. Give Tranquil opportunities and let him grow and develop.
                Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

The football team played better than I thought they would. I expected them to get blown out. Run defense was bad for 1 quarter but pretty solid for 3 quarters. Pass protection was really good all things considered. Usually on the road in a loud environment you see Rivers at least 20 times at the line of scrimmage yelling and clapping his hands frantically trying to get the snap in time, but that didn't happen at all today. What beat us today were errors this team usually doesn't make: dropped balls, penalties, and easy missed kicks. I thought it was par for the course given the game against the colts should have been a loss. Win a game you shoulda lost and lose a game you shoulda won. All in all not a lot to be discouraged about. Houston will come in playing man coverage next week and I expect the offense to play well.

Did you'll hear Rivers talking trash to the Lions linebacker before the big Inman completion? He was under center in the middle of his cadence and pointed right at him and said "We're getting ready to hit this right here" Gotta love that guy.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Det had the play pretty well covered across the board.

It was only a 3 player route. JJ was in pass protection helping Scott. Green helps pass block with Tevi and then releases on a short crossing route, which was probably the best option, although since it was 3rd and 19, it was a very good choice.

Allen is running the flag/corner route on the backside, and the FS is lurking in the middle, reading Rivers eyes. Not only does he have Allen over the top, but he is also in a position to take away Williams post route. On the highlight, it looks like Williams is open, but that is only after the FS breaks on the ball. Williams and Allen are both doubled by the FS.

The only really good choice would depend on what Benjamin was doing, but after the number of drops Benjamin had, I can't say I would blame Rivers for not going there.

If Rivers was going to try and be sneaky and throw Allen open despite the double coverage, he needed to throw it in a lot flatter, so that Slay wasn't going to be able to make a play on the ball. By putting so much air under the ball, Slay had plenty of time to get his head around and find it in the air.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
                      Run defense was bad for 1 quarter but pretty solid for 3 quarters.
                      It took a Kerryon Johnson injury to do better.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

13 points. D is fine

Comment

• AZBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

There are always plays that can be questioned, but 2 red zone turn overs, 2 TDS called back by penalties, 2 missed fgs and 6 dropped passes kind of indicate the problem is execution rather than game plan or play calling.
                          True, but both of the TD penalties were marginal IMO and didn't need to be called......Ekeler's fumble was inexcusable and cost us the game.....not only fumble cost us 7 points, but equally important KILLED OUR MOMENTUM.

Having the punter kick FG was a disaster waiting to happen, Long sucked in preseason with FG and GM did nothing .....Yea, Rivers winged it at the end bc Noone had confidence Long would make the darn FG.

Comment

Working...
                          X