Is There A Disconnect Between Lynn and Telesco?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Biggestfan View Post
    I think the disconnect is you have a front office bringing in players that neither fit the type of offense or defense these coaches are attempting to run.
    Did you research this? Of course not. You just blab fucking ignorant dribble.

The coaches (head, coordinators, and position), scouting staff, and front office all sign off on draft picks.
    TT has stated multiple times and it was stated on a backstage Chargers episode.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

This is the kind of fucking BS that makes most of us, with an actual football acumen, crazy.

Kyzir too small? 6' 2", 233# is too small for an LB? Did you notice that our worst defensive performance of the season is when Kyzir played 7 snaps?

What other brilliant analysis do you have?

So many of you guys are fucking clueless when it comes to football.
      :demonkid:

Comment

• Biggestfan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Did you research this? Of course not. You just blab fucking ignorant dribble.

The coaches (head, coordinators, and position), scouting staff, and front office all sign off on draft picks.
        TT has stated multiple times and it was stated on a backstage Chargers episode.
        So if theres no disconnect between FO and Coaching and these are the unanimous choice for players then what's the issue? Are they just getting bad players? Are the coaches not able to make them better? I had heard the Chargers were attempting to go with a lighter "faster " type personnel in the front 7. How's that working out? These guys up front get pushed around like rag dolls

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

So if theres no disconnect between FO and Coaching and these are the unanimous choice for players then what's the issue? Are they just getting bad players? Are the coaches not able to make them better? I had heard the Chargers were attempting to go with a lighter "faster " type personnel in the front 7. How's that working out? These guys up front get pushed around like rag dolls
          It was fantastic last season. 13-5.

We, as a team, have had inconsistencies through our first 3 games of 2019.
          Same can be said for the first several games of 2017 & 2018.
          We definitely have some key player injuries/holdout that we are dealing with that must be overcome. Not an easy task with the key injuries. We are down 6 starters right now.

Ragdolls?
          Take away the 2 long runs by Mack in week 1 and we are giving up less than 3.3 YPC. Yep, looks like we're getting ragdolled.
          Consistent QB pressure is an issue. 2 young guys at DT will have to improve. All 3 teams have schemed us pretty well with max protections. GusD needs to find some counters.

The 2nd halves of each game we have been out schemed, played, and hustled. Penalties, miscues, and young player errors have cost us at critical times.
          Our offense must run the ball more and FINISH scoring opportunities.
          On D we have to figure out how to overcome the injuries that have made us play CB5 & SS3, provide more constant passrush, and figure out our LBer rotation.

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• UglyTruth
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2018
            • Send PM

Tackles metric is probably one of the worst ways to judge if a player is good or not. Stephen Cooper used to lead the Chargers in tackles while being one of the worst LBs on the team and could never shed blocks in the run game and was way too slow in coverage as well.

Those who say Thomas Davis is good for the Chargers because of him racking up stats in tackles are clearly not watching the game and only looking at the box score.

I can see why Ron Rivera and the Panthers wanted to move on from him so fast. I remember I had gone on the Panthers forum when we signed him and many of their fans expressed relief as he was a huge liability in coverage for them.
            Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
            - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
            - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
            - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
            - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
            - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
            - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
              Tackles metric is probably one of the worst ways to judge if a player is good or not. Stephen Cooper used to lead the Chargers in tackles while being one of the worst LBs on the team and could never shed blocks in the run game and was way too slow in coverage as well.

Those who say Thomas Davis is good for the Chargers because of him racking up stats in tackles are clearly not watching the game and only looking at the box score.

I can see why Ron Rivera and the Panthers wanted to move on from him so fast. I remember I had gone on the Panthers forum when we signed him and many of their fans expressed relief as he was a huge liability in coverage for them.
              TDavis has, at times, looked like he is thinking too much. That is probably more about adjusting to scheme in real game action. If this doesn't improve by week 5-6, then I'll be more concerned. I thought he looked better with his rungame fits and on several coverage snaps in the Texans game.

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I see Davis lining up and being used a little differently from game 1 to game 3. Maybe not trying to fit a square peg in a round hole works?

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

This is the kind of fucking BS that makes most of us, with an actual football acumen, crazy.

Kyzir too small? 6' 2", 233# is too small for an LB? Did you notice that our worst defensive performance of the season is when Kyzir played 7 snaps?

What other brilliant analysis do you have?

So many of you guys are fucking clueless when it comes to football.
                  Ya know, I'm starting to believe the only thing makes sense why Lynn plays/praises some guys over others is team culture. It's like certain players don't even exist to him regardless of talent level AND how poorly the guys getting snaps are playing. If this is in any way true, TT needs to either fire Lynn and get someone who will play the talent, or purge the roster of these ghost players. Jenkins playing elite football is a mind blowing concept.

Comment

• Biggestfan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

It was fantastic last season. 13-5.

We, as a team, have had inconsistencies through our first 3 games of 2019.
                    Same can be said for the first several games of 2017 & 2018.
                    We definitely have some key player injuries/holdout that we are dealing with that must be overcome. Not an easy task with the key injuries. We are down 6 starters right now.

Ragdolls?
                    Take away the 2 long runs by Mack in week 1 and we are giving up less than 3.3 YPC. Yep, looks like we're getting ragdolled.
                    Consistent QB pressure is an issue. 2 young guys at DT will have to improve. All 3 teams have schemed us pretty well with max protections. GusD needs to find some counters.

The 2nd halves of each game we have been out schemed, played, and hustled. Penalties, miscues, and young player errors have cost us at critical times.
                    Our offense must run the ball more and FINISH scoring opportunities.
                    On D we have to figure out how to overcome the injuries that have made us play CB5 & SS3, provide more constant passrush, and figure out our LBer rotation.

If you're seeing something else from this defense that I may be missing please enlighten. I get it, sans a few long runs from Mack the YPC is good. But the guys up front cannot win one on one matchups. Secondary can only hold so long. And there still seems to be a tackling issue. That may be on coaching. But watch the defensive front. How often does the line actually collapse the pocket. In the lions game the big INTs actually kept the score lower. So the secondary stepped up in that game. Watson ran around and extended plays because the defensive line is not good. Watson was getting sacked more than any other QBs, except against the Chargers. How many tackles does the dline actually get in these games? They aren't getting it done.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

If you're seeing something else from this defense that I may be missing please enlighten. I get it, sans a few long runs from Mack the YPC is good. But the guys up front cannot win one on one matchups. Secondary can only hold so long. And there still seems to be a tackling issue. That may be on coaching. But watch the defensive front. How often does the line actually collapse the pocket. In the lions game the big INTs actually kept the score lower. So the secondary stepped up in that game. Watson ran around and extended plays because the defensive line is not good. Watson was getting sacked more than any other QBs, except against the Chargers. How many tackles does the dline actually get in these games? They aren't getting it done.
                      I agree with you about the lack of consistent pressure. We absolutely have to win more 1v1 in passrush situations. We have also been schemed against using 6, 7, & 8 man protections. This has exposed our CB5 ( who has been an injury replacement starter ) and now SS3. Both are very young UDFA players. We must get off the field on 3rd down. GusD must figure it out.

D tackle stats v. Texans
                      Thomas Davis 0 0 0.00 0 0 6 1 7 0.5 4.5
                      Roderic Teamer 0 0 0.00 0 0 6 1 7 0.0 0.0
                      Denzel Perryman 0 0 0.00 0 0 5 1 6 0.0 0.0
                      Melvin Ingram 0 0 0.00 0 0 4 1 5 0.0 0.0
                      Desmond King 0 0 0.00 0 0 4 0 4 0.0 0.0
                      Brandon Facyson 0 0 0.00 0 0 2 1 3 0.0 0.0
                      Casey Hayward 0 0 0.00 0 0 3 0 3 0.0 0.0
                      Rayshawn Jenkins 0 0 0.00 0 0 2 0 2 0.0 0.0
                      Joey Bosa 0 0 0.00 0 0 1 1 2 0.5 4.5
                      Damion Square 0 0 0.00 0 0 1 1 2 0.0 0.0
                      Brandon Mebane 0 0 0.00 0 0 1 1 2 1.0 5.0
                      Isaac Rochell 0 0 0.00 0 0 0 1 1 0.0 0.0
                      Nick Dzubnar 0 0 0.00 0 0 0 1 1 0.0 0.0
                      Michael Schofield 0 0 0.00 0 0 1 0 1 0.0 0.0
                      Justin Jones 0 0 0.00 0 0 1 0 1 0.0 0.0
                      Drue Tranquill 0 0 0.00 0 0 1 0 1 0.0 0.0
                      Jaylen Watkins 0 0 0.00 0 0 1 0 1 0.0 0.0
                      Offensively we MUST run the ball more often to dictate the game and FINISH scoring opportunities.

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• UglyTruth
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2018
                        • Send PM

TDavis has, at times, looked like he is thinking too much. That is probably more about adjusting to scheme in real game action. If this doesn't improve by week 5-6, then I'll be more concerned. I thought he looked better with his rungame fits and on several coverage snaps in the Texans game.
                        I think he's simply playing too many snaps. Look at his age. How many other starting LBs are there in the NFL that are his age and playing 100% of a team's defensive snaps? Probably very few if there are any at all.

LB's one of the most physical positions in football and the older you get, the less endurance you generally have. It's not even realistic to ask Davis to play this many snaps at age 36.
                        Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                        - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                        - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                        - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                        - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                        - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                        - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

This is a excerpt from a brilliant article on BFTB which everyone should read in its entirety as it addresses all the problem that the Chargers have right now.

Back to excerpt though, isn't this completely true? The front office seems to want to play these young guys who are much quicker and faster to the ball yet Lynn and the coaching staff seems to prioritize seniority and training camp reps over actual talent and ability. These older players like Thomas Davis should be playing a few snaps here and there instead of starting and playing nearly the whole game. He's getting picked on again and again by every QB and team we have played so far cause they know he moves like he has cement shoes on.

This goes true for the offense as well. Beating the dead horse again, yes this is in reference to Forrest Lamp not getting playing time and Travis Benjamin getting unwarranted playing time.

Lynn has such an outdated philosophy that needs to change based on players' abilities.
                          His philosophy got the team a 5-11 season. This is what happens when the GM just sits back idly.

There's definitely something going on. For the team to become an aggravating train wreck.

Comment

Working...
                          X