• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PMR9FAN
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
    That definition of insanity thing. But I heard, yet again, that Lynn thinks that unless we can get the running game going we will not be successful. Uh coach, we aren't very successful right now...
    LOL ... good one.

Yes, I guess that's the danger of hiring an ex-RB as your Head Coach.

As much as Mike Martz infuriated me with his QB-killing passing attack, it would be far more interesting to watch and likely more successful.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
      French Speaking Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Québec city
      • Send PM

Back to the Dan Fouts era ?
      Yessssssss !

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Originally posted by PMR9FAN View Post
        Teams are afraid of our passing attack. With Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Hunter Henry and the RB's, the last thing a team wants us to do is spread the ball around in the passing game, especially in an up-tempo style.

What teams want us to do is run on 1st down, gain 2 yards, and then be forced to pass the ball.

So we should do the opposite of what our opponents want, right? I personally don't see the need to ever run the ball again this season, except to close out a W.

We can't even gain a single yard for heaven's sake. That's been apparent most of the season, dating back to even the preseason.

To the turnover-phobes, yes, this will increase the odds for tipped balls, strip sacks, picks, etc. Some of this risk can be mitigated with a short passing attack. But I'm afraid it's are only option: become a pass-happy, Mike Martz style offense. High risk, high reward.

What do we have to lose at this point?
        I merged this into our run game thread. I just think this falls under the umbrella for a run game discussion. Nothing personal. I like to sort of build up threads instead of off chuting a bunch of minor threads that sort of discuss the same thing. We end up with a bunch of low post threads. Its a good take though. And i appreciate your input...but we dont want to skin a cat 1000 different ways. lol

Lets build up the run game discussion.

Cheers

Comment

• PMR9FAN
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

I merged this into our run game thread. I just think this falls under the umbrella for a run game discussion. Nothing personal. I like to sort of build up threads instead of off chuting a bunch of minor threads that sort of discuss the same thing. We end up with a bunch of low post threads. Its a good take though. And i appreciate your input...but we dont want to skin a cat 1000 different ways. lol

Lets build up the run game discussion.

Cheers
          Roger that. I should have checked current threads.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Roger that. I should have checked current threads.
            Its all good man. I just dont want anyone to ever take my modding personally. Its a better look with large robust discussion. And the random thoughts have a tweet vibe. And i think many here are from twitter. And twitter in and of itself has created a posting style. But as the owner of this site i have to make us better than twitter.

So i see a lot of threads that are better as personal opinions or takes. But not strong enough to change the course of another thread with similar discussion.

I encourage deep thoughts about the same issue here. And i think thats what you are doing. Its all good.

Comment

• PMR9FAN
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Well Lynn doubled-down yesterday at his presser that we have to run the ball to be successful.

He said he didn't want to be an 8-8 or 9-7 team that throws the ball all around.

I would take 9-7 for this season but if we aren't built to run, why do it?

Comment

• DontEverGiveUp
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2019
                • Send PM

Well Lynn doubled-down yesterday at his presser that we have to run the ball to be successful.

He said he didn't want to be an 8-8 or 9-7 team that throws the ball all around.

I would take 9-7 for this season but if we aren't built to run, why do it?
                Lynn really is a dipshit.

Comment

• therber219
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2017
                  • Iowa
                  • Send PM

I'm sure no one will agree with me, but losing Jackon is a big part of it. He is the best pure runner on the team. He has vision and patience that neither Ekeler or Gordon have, which is part of the reason for the big runs. Where Ekeler and Gordon need the holes to be right where they are going, Jackson can see and anticipate better. I saw alot of his games at Northwestern, and there is a reason he is 3rd overall in career rushing yards in the big 10. Just an opinion, but him not playing is more damaging than Gordon...

Comment

• SDBORN
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Sad thing is, even if Jackson had stayed healthy, Gordon still would have been given the primary spot regardless. As soon as Gordon wanted to come back, he was to become the the main guy regardless of how well we were doing.

Pathetic how this orginazation runs things. Time and time again they prove guys like Archie Manning right. No one can take the Chargers seriously for many good reasons.

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

I think Lynn is being told from above to start Gordon and use him as much as possible.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post
                        I think Lynn is being told from above to start Gordon and use him as much as possible.
                        I think you are wrong. I think Lynn believes the team has to run to be successful and that in his mind, Gordon is the best running back on the team. The offense worked best last year when Gordon was our starting RB and Ekeler was our 3rd down back. Most of us fans are over Gordon and want more Ekeler and Jackson. But Jackson has been hurt and if you look at Ekeler's number running behind our crappy oline in the past 3 games, he is average less than 2.2 yards per carry. It almost doesn't matter who is our RB with the way we are blocking.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

The Ravens lead the league in rushing by a wide margin, averaging 204 yards per game on the ground. Obviously, it's because of their QB, who leads the team in rushing yards and is 6th in the league. He is backed up by a decent RB corps, spearheaded by Mark Ingram, who is 11th in the league in rushing yards. The Ravens are 5-2 and went to Seattle and dominated the 'Hawks in a 30-16 win. The Patriots play in Baltimore tomorrow night. That is going to be a fascinating game to watch. If the Ravens win, it will be a further validation of their style of offense with Lamar Jackson IMO.

The Chargers have personnel to run that type of offense successfully IMO, but it will require a change at QB. Tyrod Taylor, in his three prime years in Buffalo, ran for 1,575 yards and scored 14 rushing TDs. He did it in a more traditional passing offense, not the type of offense Baltimore is running now where the QB is a RB. Taylor also averaged 3,000 passing yards per season during those three seasons and threw 51 TD passes against 16 INTs. IMO, if the Chargers fail to turn the offense around in the next four games before the bye, and are out of realistic playoff contention, they should use the bye to design a new run-heavy offense around Taylor (yes that means benching Rivers). I think with Ekeler, Gordon and JJ, the Chargers' RB corps is superior to the Ravens. Think of the possibilities of a Ravens-style offense with Taylor and these three RBs. And Taylor is a much more accomplished passer than Jackson.

Comment

Working...
                          X