• Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by PMR9FAN View Post

Be careful what you wish for ...

Prediction: if the Chargers part ways with PR, their curse will go another decade.
    Lol.

Part ways with a QB who has zero Superbowl appearance. Who has never beat Brady.
    He did beat the Pats once, but Cassell was the QB.
    Part ways with a QB who is going to retire soon anyway. Part ways with a QB who a few times a game needlessly forces rock into triple coverage.

My suggestion is move up and draft the QB and have him sit behind Rivers for a year.

Would love to see Rivers and the team have a bounce back year. If he was to play another season after that and he just had a great year. I'm good. If not move on with your new Franchise QB.

Teams have to move on at some point.

I'm just confused as to why Rivers is blameless.
    What happens if in 2009 playoff game vs Jets, Rivers does NOT force the rock into triple coverage for a pick that sets up Jets at 15yd line.
    Chargers were leading 7-3.
    Jets punched it in took lead 10-3.
    That was a huge momentum swing.

Go ahead take a look at 5:52 mark.

Please tell me how that throw wasn't an awful decision by Rivers. Situational football. Make the Jets earn it. Don't give them anything cheap. These are 1 and done games. Be Aggressive yes but be really smart too. Rivers does not have to be perfect or flawless. He can lead his team to a win simply being a little bit better with the rock in situational football.

This year Lions game was a perfect example.
    Game was 10-13. Yes Ekie had a fumble. Yes the kicker missed earlier.
    But late game situational football, Chargers were in FG range.
    The only thing that kills your chances to at least attempt a tying FG try is a turnover. Do anything but turn it over. Yet, Rivers thows it into double coverage for a pick. And then explains post game he was trying to get a PI. That is not smart decision making. And he is a 15 year vet. Same implusive brainless decision he has made his entire career. His best season record wise have been when the team was loaded with talent. And still could not make a Superbowl.

He is what his record says he is. Very very good, but not great in situational football. Tendency to force a throw.

Rivers is not going to change. He will tease you again with so many great plays. And then he will commit intentional grounding or throw it up for grabs in a close game. And people will blame everyone but Rivers.
    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Hummm .. well maybe PR would sign for less if he knew the o-line would get fixed.
      That's right !!
      You are thinking outside the box.
      We are already gonna get MG III
      dirt cheap
      after he gets his head screwed on right.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• PMR9FAN
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Lol.

Part ways with a QB who has zero Superbowl appearance. Who has never beat Brady.
        He did beat the Pats once, but Cassell was the QB.
        Part ways with a QB who is going to retire soon anyway. Part ways with a QB who a few times a game needlessly forces rock into triple coverage.

My suggestion is move up and draft the QB and have him sit behind Rivers for a year.

Would love to see Rivers and the team have a bounce back year. If he was to play another season after that and he just had a great year. I'm good. If not move on with your new Franchise QB.

Teams have to move on at some point.

I'm just confused as to why Rivers is blameless.
        What happens if in 2009 playoff game vs Jets, Rivers does NOT force the rock into triple coverage for a pick that sets up Jets at 15yd line.
        Chargers were leading 7-3.
        Jets punched it in took lead 10-3.
        That was a huge momentum swing.

Go ahead take a look at 5:52 mark.

Please tell me how that throw wasn't an awful decision by Rivers. Situational football. Make the Jets earn it. Don't give them anything cheap. These are 1 and done games. Be Aggressive yes but be really smart too. Rivers does not have to be perfect or flawless. He can lead his team to a win simply being a little bit better with the rock in situational football.

This year Lions game was a perfect example.
        Game was 10-13. Yes Ekie had a fumble. Yes the kicker missed earlier.
        But late game situational football, Chargers were in FG range.
        The only thing that kills your chances to at least attempt a tying FG try is a turnover. Do anything but turn it over. Yet, Rivers thows it into double coverage for a pick. And then explains post game he was trying to get a PI. That is not smart decision making. And he is a 15 year vet. Same implusive brainless decision he has made his entire career. His best season record wise have been when the team was loaded with talent. And still could not make a Superbowl.

He is what his record says he is. Very very good, but not great in situational football. Tendency to force a throw.

Rivers is not going to change. He will tease you again with so many great plays. And then he will commit intentional grounding or throw it up for grabs in a close game. And people will blame everyone but Rivers.
        Some valid points here ...

Kurt Warner was my sports idol in 2009 so I don't recall the Jets game but it doesn't surprise me.

The Lions game was a boneheaded decision. Not sure why he did that ...

Overall though, Rivers turnover ratio is much less than Eli and less than Ben R. (Rivers: 385 TD/184 Pick, Eli: 362:241, Ben: 363:191). As much as people love to talk about the 4th quarter, all the points are worth the same.

I would certainly be ok with extending Rivers a year with an option for another. So maybe we are in agreement?

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Some valid points here ...

Kurt Warner was my sports idol in 2009 so I don't recall the Jets game but it doesn't surprise me.

The Lions game was a boneheaded decision. Not sure why he did that ...

Overall though, Rivers turnover ratio is much less than Eli and less than Ben R. (Rivers: 385 TD/184 Pick, Eli: 362:241, Ben: 363:191). As much as people love to talk about the 4th quarter, all the points are worth the same.

I would certainly be ok with extending Rivers a year with an option for another. So maybe we are in agreement?
          Yes.
          I would not want to draft a QB, immediately dump Rivers and have the rookie starting.
          I would prefer he sit behind the veteran for at least 1 season. And if the veteran can hold him off from taking his job for another year after that, great.
          Iron Sharpens Iron. A new Franchise QB drafted this next year can push Rivers while he learns from the veteran.
          Patriots keep getting Brady's successor and he keeps playing well, so they trade the back up and draft another one.
          Chargers can do the same with Rivers until he retires.
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

• PMR9FAN
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Yes.
            I would not want to draft a QB, immediately dump Rivers and have the rookie starting.
            I would prefer he sit behind the veteran for at least 1 season. And if the veteran can hold him off from taking his job for another year after that, great.
            Iron Sharpens Iron. A new Franchise QB drafted this next year can push Rivers while he learns from the veteran.
            Patriots keep getting Brady's successor and he keeps playing well, so they trade the back up and draft another one.
            100% agreement, as long as the coaches give the vet a fair shot at keeping his job and don't blindly fall in love with their brand new boy toy.

Case in point: Whiz fired Warner in favor of Matty Boy Leinart. With Leinart going at #10 overall, the Cards had spent some money on him and wanted to sell some tickets for their fancy new stadium (sound familiar?). They figured they could draw some interest from the USC crowd.

Sounded like a great plan. The only problem is that it turns out Leinart sucked at the pro game. Took them half of the 2007 season to figure that out and ultimately a season-ending injury before Whiz turned the ball back over to Warner for good. The rest is history.

Bottom line: politics, new stadiums, coaches wanting to keep their jobs, etc. often make it hard on the vet getting a fair shot.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

100% agreement, as long as the coaches give the vet a fair shot at keeping his job and don't blindly fall in love with their brand new boy toy.

Case in point: Whiz fired Warner in favor of Matty Boy Leinart. With Leinart going at #10 overall, the Cards had spent some money on him and wanted to sell some tickets for their fancy new stadium (sound familiar?). They figured they could draw some interest from the USC crowd.

Sounded like a great plan. The only problem is that it turns out Leinart sucked at the pro game. Took them half of the 2007 season to figure that out and ultimately a season-ending injury before Whiz turned the ball back over to Warner for good. The rest is history.

Bottom line: politics, new stadiums, coaches wanting to keep their jobs, etc. often make it hard on the vet getting a fair shot.

This sort of happened to Warner too with the NYG. Warner had a winning record when they yanked him mid-season and stuck rookie sheli in and finished 1-6. It was Coughlin's first year too I think.

Comment

• PMR9FAN
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Gwynning_Spirit View Post

This sort of happened to Warner too with the NYG. Warner had a winning record when they yanked him mid-season and stuck rookie sheli in and finished 1-6. It was Coughlin's first year too I think.
                Yep, you are correct. Giants were 5-4 and in the playoffs if the season had ended. Eli came in and was horrible. Had a QB rating of 0.0 in one game. "Eli is a real zero" was the headline if memory serves. The GM made that decision. It didn't quite bother me as much though as when Whiz did it. The Giants had already drafted Eli and subsequently gave Warner a one year contract to give Eli some time to assimilate into the pro game. They should have waited until they were essentially out of playoff contention but it's all about selling tickets and seeing what the new kid can do.

Coughlin made a tape of every throw Warner made to show he could still play and advocated for him. So I have no complaints with TC. Whiz on the other hand ....

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Yes.
                  we just drafted Easton Stick

Comment

• PMR9FAN
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

we just drafted Easton Stick
                    Good point. Why did we do that again?

Comment

• foreigner
                      Tom Telesco is gone
                      • Sep 2013
                      • Send PM

Easton Stick is not a Franchise QB....

Comment

• PMR9FAN
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
                        Easton Stick is not a Franchise QB....
                        Why did we draft him?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Why did we draft him?
                          Future backup. You don't purposely wait to draft your franchise guy in the 5th round. Yes I know. Brady was a 6th but that isn't the norm, he was a rare exception.

Comment

Working...
                          X