Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by PMR9FAN View Post

Bizarre interview. Rivers was holding his kid like it was commonplace to do so.
    It is for Phil. He almost has a starting 11 of his own.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by PMR9FAN View Post

Phillip must have seen our discussion about his run tell ...I did not notice it yesterday ... did play-action from the gun nicely.
      Yep...good thing Phil reads our posts...

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

It is for Phil. He almost has a starting 11 of his own.
        Well, that's ONE way to get some more Charger fans in the stands...

Comment

• pacstud
          Black Belt Poster
          • Sep 2018
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

The 3 big things that were different than under wiz were

- the pace of the offense was much quicker then before....
          We were snapping the ball earlier. Fewer multi-play audibles.

- and our offense was spreading the ball around far better than we have been....... making it much harder fir defense to figure out who to cover......
          Wait, this would mean defenses don't cover people? I don't think that's how it works.

we've had other games this year where the game plan was about forcing ball to KA on almost every pass play even when he was covered by their best defender.....
          That's on Rivers, not the play caller

- and this team finally came out with a do or die kind of attitude on offense and defense and ST's..... we were playing like guys were worried about being cut....... maybe the firing of wiz was more than x's and o's...... letting everyone know you could be next.....
          Agreed. It was about the team sucking fat ones, Whiz was the sacrificial lamb.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by pacstud View Post

We were snapping the ball earlier. Fewer multi-play audibles.

Wait, this would mean defenses don't cover people? I don't think that's how it works.

That's on Rivers, not the play caller

Agreed. It was about the team sucking fat ones, Whiz was the sacrificial lamb.
            Not a baaaaaaaaddd idea, there, Pac...

Comment

• SDBORN
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

The offense made strides but I feel the defense was the biggest difference yesterday. They fired on all cylinders from the start of the game. They got off the field quickly giving our offense more quick possessions. The offense improved and returned the favor by leading long drives for points.

Before yesterday our defense was one of the worst in the league at getting off the field on 3rd downs. Teams were using our own tactics against us by leading long drives down the field and keeping our offense sidelined often.

Great to see improvements on both sides of the ball.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post
                The offense made strides but I feel the defense was the biggest difference yesterday. They fired on all cylinders from the start of the game. They got off the field quickly giving our offense more quick possessions. The offense improved and returned the favor by leading long drives for points.

Before yesterday our defense was one of the worst in the league at getting off the field on 3rd downs. Teams were using our own tactics against us by leading long drives down the field and keeping our offense sidelined often.

I wonder how much of that was due to us evidently having some kind of tell whether a play was a run or a pass. Is this what it feels like to be a Patriot fan?

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                  Outback Goon
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Australia
                  • Send PM

another excellent thread Cat thanks.

Bravo!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Many LAC fans, myself included, have frequently asked about PR not seeing wide open receivers and not getting the ball them. Instead, he seems to force the ball into double coverage.

I just heard the most legimate explanation for this by former NE Playcaller, Assistant Coach, and Notre Dame Head Coach Charlie Weiss @ SXM NFL Radio.

A QB goes through their progressions rather methodically,
                    and cannot be expected to see everything.

In our case, Rivers is busy reading coverages with laser-like focus. He always likes the matchups with his primary or secondary receivers and goes there, and does not instead get to his third or fourth reads.

This also explains why some guys are not targeted at all. Rivers has confidence that KA or HH, say, will win on contested balls, and be where they are supposed to be.

This is all painfully obvious upon further thought, but we do ask. It is great to hear the explanation from Weiss, someone who knows WTH he is talking about.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                      Many LAC fans, myself included, have frequently asked about PR not seeing wide open receivers and not getting the ball them. Instead, he seems to force the ball into double coverage.

I just heard the most legimate explanation for this by former NE Playcaller, Assistant Coach, and Notre Dame Head Coach Charlie Weiss @ SXM NFL Radio.

A QB goes through their progressions rather methodically,
                      and cannot be expected to see everything.

In our case, Rivers is busy reading coverages with laser-like focus. He always likes the matchups with his primary or secondary receivers and goes there, and does not instead get to his third or fourth reads.

This also explains why some guys are not targeted at all. Rivers has confidence that KA or HH, say, will win on contested balls, and be where they are supposed to be.

This is all painfully obvious upon further thought, but we do ask. It is great to hear the explanation from Weiss, someone who knows WTH he is talking about.
                      Yep...and when our O-line keeps allowing pressure (even in Packers game, 2 sacks and a lot of hurries), we just don't have TIME for Phil to read down through 3-4 progressions. Stitch must have told Rivers something like "if your primary receiver is covered, go to the RB dumpoff asap."

Comment

• foreigner
                        Tom Telesco is gone
                        • Sep 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...and when our O-line keeps allowing pressure (even in Packers game, 2 sacks and a lot of hurries), we just don't have TIME for Phil to read down through 3-4 progressions. Stitch must have told Rivers something like "if your primary receiver is covered, go to the RB dumpoff asap."
                        Wise words my friend, wise words, just dump it to Ekeler, he will take it all the way.

I'm getting myself an Ekeler Jersey for the game in Mexico City. Let's show some support for the amazing little guy.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

That game was the definition of complementary football. The offense kept the ball for long periods of time. The defense was well rested whenever they went on the field. Special teams delivered a big punt block that we converted into a TD. All three phases did their jobs and fed off each other

Comment

Working...
                          X