• Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Javontee Herndon

Javontee Herndon has shown consistency in training camp.

Now, he is being rewarded for it.

There was a shift this week on the Chargers depth chart at wide receiver. Herndon, arguably having the best camp of five rookies at the position, was elevated from the third- to second-team offense. It is expected he'll run with No. 2 quarterback Kellen Clemens on Friday when the Chargers play in Seattle for their second exhibition game.

Two forces may be at play here with Herndon's ascent.

Herndon, first, has progressed well in camp, wide receivers coach Fred Graves praising the ex-Arkansas Razorback as one not to repeat the same mistake. Third-team quarterback Brad Sorensen said that he likes the 6-foot, 194-pound receiver's strong hands and physicality.

"He wins most of the time," Sorensen said. "That's what you want as a quarterback, a guy you can trust. If you're going to go to him on a one-on-one route, you want to know he can match up and come down with the ball for you."

There is another factor, too.

Tevin Reese, a speedy seventh-round pick from Baylor, has faded after his fast start in training camp. His route-running ability is raw, the transition from a spread style of college offense proving a challenge. He currently appears on the outside looking in for a 53-man roster spot.

Herndon, 22, will make the occasional mistake. A near fumble and pass interference call were among the corrections from last week's exhibition opener. He continues to develop at an encouraging pace.

"The game's not too big for him," Graves said.

Here comes a real test.

Herndon knows to expect a loud environment against the Seahawks. He also anticipates depth in their secondary. This is a roster from which cornerback Ron Parker was waived last year after training camp. Today, Parker starts in Kansas City.

The Chargers play three exhibition games in 14 days.

"Just keep working," Herndon said. "Obviously, my hard work is being noticed. Just keep doing what I'm doing."
    Sooooo this little bastard is crashing the Tutu/Reese/Inman party apparently. Who does he think he is?
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Was there a Reese party?
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• UtahBolt
      Did we win?
      • Jun 2013
      • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
      • Send PM

Good for him, will be interesting to watch him over the next couple of weeks. I still think there will be room for Inman and one other (Tutu, Herndon, Reese). I never did get the love for Reese from this board.
      I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

been saying hes a sleeper to make the team. A guy stepping up is never a bad thing, even though I'm a fan of Reese. Reese could probably be stashed on the practice squad, especially if the route running concerns are true. That tells me he's not ready to contribute, no matter how fast he is. The guy did last til the 7th round, so I dont know why any team would be so eager to add him to their active roster now. I really want to see what happens tomorrow. Can't wait.

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Reese looked very fast in the early practices, then the pads came on. Speed gets you deep, but routes get you open.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
            Reese looked very fast in the early practices, then the pads came on. Speed gets you deep, but routes get you open.
            agree with this, especially in an offense that seems to prefer short/quick/intermediate routes to slower, longer developing ones.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Well don't showcase Herndon for other teams. Shut up about him so he doesn't get poached from the PS.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

He could be Brown's replacement, sounds like he plays similarly (but isn't injured). Glad someone is stepping up.

So who got demoted, Inman?
                Last edited by blueman; 08-14-2014, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Sounds like Inman is 4 and Herndon is 5.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Will be interested to see him play vs Seattle but cannot imagine him beating out Inman. That kid looks pretty polished to me. Of course there are more games to go and I'm all for respecting the outcomes in competition.

Comment

• Beerman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Eastlake
                      • Send PM

Brown is the 4th guy (unfortunately). Inman is the 5th guy IMO. Herndon will challenge The 6th spot if he shows he can handle return duties. Reese/Tutu on the outside looking in.

Still pulling for Sweet Feet. Can't teach speed. Not so sure he wouldn't get claimed. Panthers, Browns, and Raiders come to mind.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

I dont know anything about Herndon. I did a little research and that article above says he is 6', 194 but at his pro day it says is measured 6'4", 207 and ran a 4.40- 40. So i ask, those that have beeen to TC, does he look 6'4", because one of those writers is wrong.
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 08-14-2014, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X