That Was Ugly. Seriously, Where Do We Go From Here?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Post is sufficiently snarky.
    Although sometimes it is the idiot kickers fault.
    snark when you miss the point is especially endearing

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

snark when you miss the point is especially endearing
      Who missed what point ?
      Snark points for you too, Frances.
      I'll mark you down for...nevermind.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

I read something on Twitter yesterday that blew my mind.

Add 4 points to the Chargers score in each of the last 64 games,
        and their record would be 58-6.

4 points ! That would be one touchdown instead of a field goal in only one of the trips to the red zone per game.

If we just improve our red zone offense,
        it will have profound impact.
        Here you go jam.
        I made the point
        in the first place.

:tongue:

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

I read something on Twitter yesterday that blew my mind.

Add 4 points to the Chargers score in each of the last 64 games,
          and their record would be 58-6.

4 points ! That would be one touchdown instead of a field goal in only one of the trips to the red zone per game.

If we just improve our red zone offense,
          it will have profound impact
          1. Use Mike Will more to high point in EZ
          2. Use Gordon up the gut less
          3. If Watt can't pound it in from the 1 or 2, what use is having a FB? Maybe we give him a few more chances...

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

1. Use Mike Will more to high point in EZ
            2. Use Gordon up the gut less
            3. If Watt can't pound it in from the 1 or 2, what use is having a FB? Maybe we give him a few more chances...
            What FB leads a team in TDs?
            NONE do. Only Alstot had a decent number of TDs but he was much more than just a FB.

But it sure wouldn't hurt to use the I formation at the GL with Gordon or any formation that Watt
            lead blocks....along with an occasional GL carry.
            Last edited by Boltjolt; 11-21-2019, 10:02 PM.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

What FB EVER leads a team in TDs?
              NONE do. That isn't why they keep FBs. But it sure wouldn't hurt to use the I formation at the GL with Gordon or any formation that he lead blocks....along with an occasional GL carry.
              Agree on I-formation on goal line. Yes, why not a quick opener to Watt, sometimes, instead of the good old predictable Gordon up the congested gut...

Comment

• jubei
                Vagabond Ninja
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Unlike most others, I don't blame Rivers for the final pick because it was a Hail Mary play with few ticks left in the game. On that kind of play sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't... Understand, I'm not saying that to excuse PR, he had a bad game and we lost largely because he was off. But, I don't fault him for that game ending pick as most do.
                which hail mary was this roo? Are you talking about the chiefs game with the pass to Ek? If so that was no hail mary as we were in the red zone and we had time to get in there. it was just a HORRENDOUS pass...low with no arc. He basically threw it at the defender.

Comment

• pacstud
                  Black Belt Poster
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

No, top of the league in red zone offense.

you said we struggled for decades and it pre-dated Rivers and even Brees. That was false.
                  Well, I did add the "for the most part" caveat.

I'm too lazy, but all that was proven was that our good years coincided with good red zone performance.

How were we in 2003? 2002?

Or I'll make it easy, we've struggled for decade.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

I dont know the numbers on this...but how many goaline TDs have we missed out on this year? I swear it feels like a shitload. Not to mention the turnovers and penalties. We are fucking terrible in the redzone right now.

I wonder what we would look like with Taylor running plays there. Make teams account for his ability to run. Have him bootleg out. Have him move around the pocket. It will open things up.

Comment

• Midwestbolt
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Midwest
                      • Local 150 operating engineer.
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                      I dont know the numbers on this...but how many goaline TDs have we missed out on this year? I swear it feels like a shitload. Not to mention the turnovers and penalties. We are fucking terrible in the redzone right now.

I wonder what we would look like with Taylor running plays there. Make teams account for his ability to run. Have him bootleg out. Have him move around the pocket. It will open things up.

The top 10 red zone teams in terms of touchdowns ironically have a great ground game.
                      1. Tenn
                      2. GB
                      3. Buff
                      4. Sea
                      5. Min
                      6. Hou
                      7. Bal
                      8. Ind
                      9. Chi
                      10. Philly

Except for one far outlier (Bears @ #29 and I don't get it, but stats don't lie), Green Bay is #18, Titans #15, Philly #11. The other 6 teams are top 10 in the NFL in rushing.

There is something to having a mobile QB as we know Seattle, Houston and Baltimore have very athletic QB's. I just don't think it's the be all and end all. The threat of loading up and running it down a defenses throat will make an Offense consistently better in the red zone.

The Bolts need a consistent run game. And consistently run it in the red zone. Commit.

That and stupid penalties. getting behind the sticks in the red zone. This is a bad charger habit as well

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Another insightful take from Mwb.

Two out of ten, IND & MIN have pocket QBs.

They have gritty IOL, Marlon Mack and Dalvin Cook.

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Midwestbolt View Post

The top 10 red zone teams in terms of touchdowns ironically have a great ground game.
                          1. Tenn
                          2. GB
                          3. Buff
                          4. Sea
                          5. Min
                          6. Hou
                          7. Bal
                          8. Ind
                          9. Chi
                          10. Philly

Except for one far outlier (Bears @ #29 and I don't get it, but stats don't lie), Green Bay is #18, Titans #15, Philly #11. The other 6 teams are top 10 in the NFL in rushing.

There is something to having a mobile QB as we know Seattle, Houston and Baltimore have very athletic QB's. I just don't think it's the be all and end all. The threat of loading up and running it down a defenses throat will make an Offense consistently better in the red zone.

The Bolts need a consistent run game. And consistently run it in the red zone. Commit.

That and stupid penalties. getting behind the sticks in the red zone. This is a bad charger habit as well
                          Ironically Wilson completely made the fact the Seahawks OL has been terrible for years. I think they are better now but they for a good amount of time with him at QB were bad. He is a good example of a QB who has done more with a lot less. They struggled at RB. They struggled at WR. And that OL sucked. He has carried bad offenses. And then you had a stud D.

I would kill to have a guy like Wilson. He is a passer. But he makes something out of nothing with his legs. Which was a lot over the years. I want a qb who is a passer....that can make plays with his legs. Extend drives. Im not so much looking for a mobile QB. Im looking for a guy who is mobile and will force D's to contain him. Fortunately with college teams going with such a heavy shift towards the run/pass we are starting to get QBs who are really good runners.

I was actually really banging the drum hard for us to make a trade for Jacoby B. Then the Colts stole him. That guy behind a stud OL is solid. When they surround him with weapons he will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                          X