Clear All
  • Panama
    パナマ
    • Aug 2013
    • London
    • Opera singer and web developer.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
    Well yeah, he was a 5th rounder. I dont know why some were expecting a lot from him.
    Because he looked very good last preseason.

(And I disagree with TTK's assessment that he looked like garbage during this preseason.)
    Adipose

Comment

• MakoShark
      Disgruntled
      • Jun 2013
      • North Alabama
      • Send PM

You are now projecting the definition of polarity on to the word potential. For an obviously intelligent guy I can't see why you are failing to grasp this. Potential is not fixed and can flip like a switch. The point is now moot as Sorenson, the reason for this debate, is cut. The potential he showed last year has completely flipped, reversed and performed a 180 as far as the Chargers are concerned.
      sigpic

Comment

• Grinners
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
        Wow. You really hate being wrong and really lack a basic understanding of how 1 word can affect the meaning of another. I'll keep that in mind for now on.
        Do you mean "for" now on or "from" now on? That one word can "affect" the meaning of the rest of the sentence and can have a totally different "effect"..............
        ......Just saying and just playing..............

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
          Probably because he looked like garbage for the most part during the preseason games.
          He really hasn't shown any reason to be on the team other than he was a draft pick.
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Opera singer and web developer.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
            You are now projecting the definition of polarity on to the word potential. For an obviously intelligent guy I can't see why you are failing to grasp this. Potential is not fixed and can flip like a switch. The point is now moot as Sorenson, the reason for this debate, is cut. The potential he showed last year has completely flipped, reversed and performed a 180 as far as the Chargers are concerned.
            No, no, no, no, NO! Potential cannot be flipped. That is entirely the point! You are treating potential as a binary value, one that is either on or off. But it isn't that, outside of physics/electronics. Potential, in the most commonly used sense, is the state latent abilities would be in if maximized.

Taking a step back in one's development does not nullify or negate one's potential, does not nullify the ultimate state one's latent abilities would take if progressed to their furthest limit, no more so than pouring water out of a paper cup affects the cup's potential to hold water.
            Adipose

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

So, after all this talk about Steve Williams playing with the ones (and me saying it didnt mean much) the official depth chart has come out and Williams is third string behind Richard Marshall.
              Beers bitter pill,lol.

And I'm not claiming anything other than TC is a time to experiment.
              I think a big part of it was to see how well Williams is/was developing as a press coverage guy. In college, he was a great off coverage guy. This year, we played a ton of press coverage, and that is something that Williams didn't/doesn't do well.

Some of that is also the nature of preseason. We tend to play a lot more press coverage in preseason then we do in the regular season, because we don't study teams tendencies and route combinations. There are a lot of players like Williams and Teo who rely a lot on their film study. They are not amazing athletes who can dominate their opponents physically, so they out think them. But to do that, they need to know tendencies and be able to read the offense, which teams don't do in preseason. So, they tend to look bad by comparison.

I'm not saying Williams is ready to be a starter, just that if you let him do what he does best (play man off), give him a game plan, and then let him study his opponents for a week on film, he would be a lot better then what he showed in PS.

Comment

• TTK
                EX-Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • America's Finest City
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post

(And I disagree with TTK's assessment that he looked like garbage during this preseason.)
                I like his potential and am rooting for him to do well for sure but he didn't look good out there this past month.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Windsor, U.K.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  I think a big part of it was to see how well Williams is/was developing as a press coverage guy. In college, he was a great off coverage guy. This year, we played a ton of press coverage, and that is something that Williams didn't/doesn't do well.

Some of that is also the nature of preseason. We tend to play a lot more press coverage in preseason then we do in the regular season, because we don't study teams tendencies and route combinations.There are a lot of players like Williams and Teo who rely a lot on their film study. They are not amazing athletes who can dominate their opponents physically, so they out think them. But to do that, they need to know tendencies and be able to read the offense, which teams don't do in preseason. So, they tend to look bad by comparison.

I'm not saying Williams is ready to be a starter, just that if you let him do what he does best (play man off), give him a game plan, and then let him study his opponents for a week on film, he would be a lot better then what he showed in PS.
                  Steve, you say Williams can't dominate his opponent physically. As a Cornerback, I'm not so sure that is the most important quality to have. What is more important as a Cornerback though, is speed. And supposedly Williams has that in abundance.

Let's hope his speed helps him until he's savvy enough to cover the Larry Fitzgeralds and Michael Crabtree's of the league. If so, our secondary will be very solid.

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

I'm still high on Stevie. He had a few bad plays vs. the 49ers that have changed some peoples opinion on him. All corners get toasted.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post

You mean he looked very good in TC. He got hurt early in preseason,.... Like early in the second game. I'm just saying some had too much high hopes for him where I was far from sold. The only thing I liked about him is his speed.
                      I hope he developes well for us but he is essentially a rookie this year who was a 5th rounder.
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 09-01-2014, 11:51 AM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                        Steve, you say Williams can't dominate his opponent physically. As a Cornerback, I'm not so sure that is the most important quality to have. What is more important as a Cornerback though, is speed. And supposedly Williams has that in abundance.

Let's hope his speed helps him until he's savvy enough to cover the Larry Fitzgeralds and Michael Crabtree's of the league. If so, our secondary will be very solid.
                        I don't agree that speed is the most important quality. Its a plus to have but not the most important thing.

Comment

• Beerman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Eastlake
                          • Send PM

I don't agree that speed is the most important quality. Its a plus to have but not the most important thing.
                          If you don't have speed at CB (particularly in a zone off coverage scheme), you may as well just wave a white flag. Tackling, instincts, etc are obviously are all important, but you need to meet a certain speed threshold IMO. You simply can't be slow and play in this scheme. It's all based on the ability to read and use your closing speed to make the pass deflection or tackle. If you don't have speed, you are just going to be making tackles while the guy in front of you makes catches all day long.

We don't necessarily need burners at CB, but it sure would be nice - see Verrett. Excellent all around athlete with phenomenal closing speed. Here's hoping his tackling ability translates from what we saw at TCU.

Comment

Working...
                          X