State Of The Chargers - What/Where Now!?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Electric Chicken
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

45504972_2217750971628891_7214717352657551360_n.jpg

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

From a football perspective, who knows in what direction they'll go. They probably don't know.

Do Telesco and Lynn feel they need to win now to hold onto their jobs? If so, they'll bring in someone like Cam Newton, and draft another defensive weapon for Bradley to misuse.

If not, & they feel secure, they'll draft a qb #1 and talk about patience (& continuity of course). But that begs the question: why have Lynn, as your head coach, be the one
      overseeing the development of your young qb?

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

In terms of their fan base in L.A., it ain't going to happen. Get use to padded attendance figures well into the future - except on Raider day.

On that day, the Spanos might as well stick a Raider nation flag in the rafters to appease the home crowd. Hopefully, the stadium has been
        designed to muffle crowd noises. If the Spanos are called in by the league office to justify their ownership, they can use footage of the excited Raider's
        crowd, with cameras that magically convert black & silver into blue and gold.

Comment

• foreigner
          Tom Telesco is gone
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
          In terms of their fan base in L.A., it ain't going to happen. Get use to padded attendance figures well into the future - except on Raider day.

On that day, the Spanos might as well stick a Raider nation flag in the rafters to appease the home crowd. Hopefully, the stadium has been
          designed to muffle crowd noises. If the Spanos are called in by the league office to justify their ownership, they can use footage of the excited Raider's
          crowd, with cameras that magically convert black & silver into blue and gold.
          The league is hugely responsible for this mess, I say 25% each: Kroenke, The League, Jerry Jones and the Spanoses.

Actually no, the league and Jerry Jones is a combined 50% responsible, the other 25% each is for Kroenke and The spanoses...

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post

The league is hugely responsible for this mess, I say 25% each: Kroenke, The League, Jerry Jones and the Spanoses.
            I lived in L.A. right before the move. I would go to sports bars to watch a game and never encounter any Charger fans. Colts fans, Steeler fans - yes; never any Charger fans.

I was told that i had to go to special locations where they hang out.

I give 100 % of the blame to Spanos: he's no longer an adolescent.
            Last edited by powderblueboy; 12-23-2019, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

I think the team and league are desperately clinging to the delusional notion that moving into a new stadium will attract more fans actually supporting the home team. The rationale is that ticket prices were so high that most people could not afford them and brokers bought them and sold them to fans of other teams who would spend it to see one game a year. Tickets will be cheaper in the new stadium and therefore real fans who could not afford the $275 tickets at the soccer stadium will come and support the team. Not gonna happen. The only chance the team had was to win big this year and the product on the field was a disaster.

The team obviously has a huge decision to make about the QB and everything will start there. They can rightly say that only a year ago we were 12-4 and Rivers was a pro-bowl QB. Can Rivers be “fixed” and the team return to that level? Or do we need to blow everything up and start over with a new QB? Going with Taylor or trading for a has-been like Newton would be a disaster and utterly waste a year or so. If they are going to rebuild, do it with the QB of the future.

Regardless of which way they go, I fully expect TT back (he did just sign an extension) and Lynn as well. I doubt we make any major changes on the coaching staff with Steichen back as our OC and Gus as our DC.

I still have the uneasy feeling they are higher on our offensive lineman than we are and am not sure how much they address it - and that scares me!

We reportedly have a lot of skill players and on paper we do, but none of them, aside from maybe Ekeler are explosive players. We need a couple of WR with some speed to wreak some havoc.

The middle of our defensive line is still a major issue and I’m not sold on Davis as a corner.

A legitimate returner would help as well.

Comment

• Electric Chicken
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

[QUOTE=richpjr;n892219]I think the team and league are desperately clinging to the delusional notion that moving into a new stadium will attract more fans actually supporting the home team. The rationale is that ticket prices were so high that most people could not afford them and brokers bought them and sold them to fans of other teams who would spend it to see one game a year. Tickets will be cheaper in the new stadium and therefore real fans who could not afford the $275 tickets at the soccer stadium will come and support the team. Not gonna happen. The only chance the team had was to win big this year and the product on the field was a disaster.

The team obviously has a huge decision to make about the QB and everything will start there. They can rightly say that only a year ago we were 12-4 and Rivers was a pro-bowl QB. Can Rivers be “fixed” and the team return to that level? Or do we need to blow everything up and start over with a new QB? Going with Taylor or trading for a has-been like Newton would be a disaster and utterly waste a year or so. If they are going to rebuild, do it with the QB of the future.

Regardless of which way they go, I fully expect TT back (he did just sign an extension) and Lynn as well. I doubt we make any major changes on the coaching staff with Steichen back as our OC and Gus as our DC.

I still have the uneasy feeling they are higher on our offensive lineman than we are and am not sure how much they address it - and that scares me!

We reportedly have a lot of skill players and on paper we do, but none of them, aside from maybe Ekeler are explosive players. We need a couple of WR with some speed to wreak some havoc.

The middle of our defensive line is still a major issue and I’m not sold on Davis as a corner.

A legitimate returner would help as well.[/Q

Need 2 see Easton Stick vs. K.C. and see what we got

Comment

• Charge!
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers33 View Post
                  I posted this in the game day forum but wanted to share under this topic heading as well:
                  I myself am a 40 year fan of this team and don't plan on changing,but there have been more than a few fans that have left, and this team didn't have the luxury of losing fans. It all starts at the top and without a strong GM, "Team Spanos" has had their way for a while now, and this is what it looks like. There is no way a football team can continue to stay competitive in a game over any length of time, year in and year out, without an actual home field advantage. Our guys start right out with a competitive disadvantage, that's on the ownership. Using silent counts at home is embarrassing - we have the worst "home field" in all of football. Feel sorry for our guys on that one, and it won't be any better for the foreseeable future, just a nicer stadium for the opposing teams fans to enjoy. I for one, do not discount this competitive disadvantage, although it doesn't show up in the stat sheet it is huge!! Beyond that, Telesco has not been stellar on draft day the last 2 years so that is starting to show, his unwillingness to invest in the O-line, along with the unfortunate injuries (who know how good Lamp might really have been) have reeked havoc in area where we have to be strong for the type of QB we have. I do like his stance on some of the contracts and the fact that he prefers to stay behind the scenes so those are pluses. At this point I believe our talent is overrated - and I wish the media would back off on saying how talented this team is, they only look at skill players and there is so much more than that when evaluating talent. Not sure how long the LA experiment will last, there will be tremendous promotion and excitement in the beginning, but make no mistake, LA is still a Rams and Raiders town. I think long term we are going to eventually have to move somewhere that the Chargers can actually call home, and where the fans come to see us and not the other team. The stadium was crap in SD, and there were many times when the stands were filled with opposing fans - heck who wouldn't want to go to SD to see a game, right!? - but when the team was playing well you knew whose house it was. My biggest fear as a 50 something fan now, is that we will linger in purgatory for 10-12 years before anything changes, so unfair to the players and fans - and for that "Team Spanos", shame on you!!!
                  Im the exact age of the team, I have (40th and 50th anniversary Chargers T-shirts given to me on my birthdays) so I understand and agree ..........

The biggest problem by far is the horrible cheap ownership. The spanos's are just millionaires not billionaires like most owners(the value of the team is a couple of billion so that puts spanos's in billionaire range(but only if they sell)..... there is no way a measly millionaire owner is going to pay a QB 30-40 million per year when the owners only make millions......

I was fortunate to blow savings to attend Chargers-49ers SB back in 94-95..... thinking the way the chargers are it may be a once in a lifetime opportunity..... i was hoping it wasn't but unless Chargers find a way to trade up for Burrow, this team is likely going to let Rivers go for nothing and grab some vet scrub like Newton, Dalton, Fitz, etc..... and Chargers will hover at about .500 or less for next decade .....

It is true that most of the media who call Chargers talented are only looking at our offensive skill players and pass rushers, and maybe secondary, but anyone who watches the team realizes our offensive skill players are good but not great because they lack speed...... our defense has more athletic ability but still too slow overall and our OL and DL lack the huge immovable studs that other teams have.....

This team need to be sold to a smart billionaire who cares about football and loves SD so he will bring the team back where it belongs.....

Its amazing that San Diego with over 3 million people is one of the largest cities in America yet does not have an NBA team or an NFL team????? that is embarrassing...... the politicians in SD are all selfish and corrupt and dont care about sports.

Comment

• MakoShark
                    Disgruntled
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Alabama
                    • Send PM

I think the Spanii could drive the team into bankruptcy. I don't care what they are "worth" on paper. Has that ever happened?
                    sigpic

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Occam’s razor states, "The simplest solution is most likely the right one."

Forget about that because we’re not getting new owners.

after that, do things the old fashion way, build the lines. Games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage. In our case, lost. Don’t overthink this, just do it.

Then bring in a coaching staff that can compete with Andy Reid and Co.

and always keep an eye out for your qb of the future.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I don't consider those disasters equal.
                        Letting Tyrod playout his contract for the year and then leave, leaves us with only one crap year. If they try and land Cam, they're still going to have to pay him a bunch, and it could mess us up for a while beyond depending on how much they overpay him. If they are going to get the QB of the future in this draft to trot out for publicity photos with the new stadium, I hope they either let Tyrod play or bring back Rivers for one final hurrah while the kid sits so they don't wreck the QB of the future right away as well.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Birmingham AL
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I lived in L.A. right before the move. I would go to sports bars to watch a game and never encounter any Charger fans. Colts fans, Steeler fans - yes; never any Charger fans.

I was told that i had to go to special locations where they hang out.

I give 100 % of the blame to Spanos: he's no longer an adolescent.
                          I would go to sports bars and find lots of. Badger fans. I would suggest not going to a Packers bar or Raiders bar.

Comment

Working...
                          X