• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SAY OW 55
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2023
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

My biggest problem with the name "Redskins" is the owner who came up with the name was openly and unapologetically racist - George Preston Marshall. When Marshall bought the team it was in Boston and it was named the Braves. There was already a Boston Braves MLB team so he changed the name to differentiate, later moving the franchise to DC.

Marshall was the driving force behind the quiet agreement among NFL owners not to sign black players. When the Rams and Browns signed black players in 1946 Marshall was furious. (The Rams did so because the LA Coliseum threatened to evict them if they didn't sign a black player.) The NFL quickly started integrating after that, but Marshall refused, and the Redskins where the lone team not to have a black player for decades. Marshall claimed that the Redskins, as the southern most team in the NFL at the time, would lose its fan base if it had black players.

He famously said, "We'll start signing negroes when the Harlem Globetrotters start signing whites." A Washington Post sports writer called Marshall, "one of pro football's greatest innovators and its leading bigot." The Redskins under Marshall were the last team to integrate. That came about in the early '60s when Bobby Kennedy, AG in his brother's presidency, threatened to kick the Redskins out of the stadium in DC (later named RFK). Marshall grudgingly drafted a black player in 1962, Ernie Davis, but Davis refused to play for Marshall, so Marshall traded him to the Browns for Bobby Mitchell.

So given the man who was behind the Redskins name and his legacy, I believe changing the name was appropriate. I guess I should add that I don't have a problem with the Chiefs or the Braves. I feel these are names that pay respect to a class of people, like the Cowboys, Patriots, 49ers or Buccaneers, and so on.
    Hey props to you for getting all that insight man. I had no idea about this. Great job man.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SAY OW 55 View Post
      How about Washington Presidents??? Pretty obvious. It’s Washington D.C.

keep the shit basic as fuck.
      I loved the Washington Bullets name.

Comment

• captaind
        Cook This Pork Chops
        • Jun 2013
        • Mars
        • Ball Holder
        • Send PM

The DC Washingtons.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

For obvious reasons that name is not going to work.

I like the Solons. Solon was an ancient Greek and considered the founder of democracy. The Solons name as been used before in capital cities. It was the name of the Sacramento team that played in Pacific Coast League for decades. It is a synonym for legislators and lawmakers.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post
            Looks like the Redskins (I am Comanche Indian, they will always be the Redskins to me) lost their trademark request for the team name Commanders. Some are saying that this could have them change their name and logo yet again.

Personally, they should go by Washington Team of Football, or WTF. They could put that on the side of their helmets a big WTF.

Hilarious.
            hahaha
            P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
            P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
            P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
            P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• SAY OW 55
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2023
              • Send PM

My biggest problem with the name "Redskins" is the owner who came up with the name was openly and unapologetically racist - George Preston Marshall. When Marshall bought the team it was in Boston and it was named the Braves. There was already a Boston Braves MLB team so he changed the name to differentiate, later moving the franchise to DC.

Marshall was the driving force behind the quiet agreement among NFL owners not to sign black players. When the Rams and Browns signed black players in 1946 Marshall was furious. (The Rams did so because the LA Coliseum threatened to evict them if they didn't sign a black player.) The NFL quickly started integrating after that, but Marshall refused, and the Redskins where the lone team not to have a black player for decades. Marshall claimed that the Redskins, as the southern most team in the NFL at the time, would lose its fan base if it had black players.

He famously said, "We'll start signing negroes when the Harlem Globetrotters start signing whites." A Washington Post sports writer called Marshall, "one of pro football's greatest innovators and its leading bigot." The Redskins under Marshall were the last team to integrate. That came about in the early '60s when Bobby Kennedy, AG in his brother's presidency, threatened to kick the Redskins out of the stadium in DC (later named RFK). Marshall grudgingly drafted a black player in 1962, Ernie Davis, but Davis refused to play for Marshall, so Marshall traded him to the Browns for Bobby Mitchell.

So given the man who was behind the Redskins name and his legacy, I believe changing the name was appropriate. I guess I should add that I don't have a problem with the Chiefs or the Braves. I feel these are names that pay respect to a class of people, like the Cowboys, Patriots, 49ers or Buccaneers, and so on.
              What a certified Piece of shit this guy was.

Comment

• SAY OW 55
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2023
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Wrong sport Basketball.

why not call them the Farmers farmers are a huge part of what we do. Or the Cobras l

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SAY OW 55 View Post
                  What a certified Piece of shit this guy was.
                  Back in that day, there were a lot people like him I am sorry to say.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                    I wonder how many other things Belichek does that do not get caught? And how many times does he have to violate rules before some serious punishment (like maybe banning him for a year) happens?

And it must be like a sickness with him. Just has to cheat or skirt the rules or not comply with their spirit and intent no matter what. A lot of the stuff he does probably he doesn't need to even do to win.

TG
                    ^ This...Belicheat is kind of like an alcoholic, who keeps going back to the bottle, while a whole slew of enablers keep letting him get away with it...from Goodell on down to the ball boy who deflated the ball in Inflategate...I think they need to start up a Cheataholics group..."Hi, I'm Bill B., and I'm a Cheataholic..."

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

I agree on the name change, based on the name itself. My perspective and conclusion. I’m getting out before it gets more political and I wear on the kind patience of our beloved leader. Sorry all.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

For obvious reasons that name is not going to work.

I like the Solons. Solon was an ancient Greek and considered the founder of democracy. The Solons name as been used before in capital cities. It was the name of the Sacramento team that played in Pacific Coast League for decades. It is a synonym for legislators and lawmakers.
                        Sounds like hair stylists’ place of business, nope.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• FoutsFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Birmingham AL
                          • Send PM

Maybe they should go with the Washington Corruption? Cesspool? Swamp?

Still think WTF (Washington Team of Football) is the way to go.

download.jpg

Comment

Working...
                          X