• Show
Clear All
  • WindsorUK
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Windsor, U.K.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

When the Super Bowl came to San Diego, they set up an exhibit called "The NFL Experience" under a giant canvass tent (reminded me of Wringling Bros.). One of the displays was a plaster-of-paris mold of Earl Campbell's thigh. I could fit my whole torso in the casted mold. You don't realize the monster size of these guys until you're right next to them.

For comparison, Jim Brown played at the same weight as Earl Campbell (232 lb) but was 3 inches taller.
    The Nigerian Nightmare played at 254 ils. The Bus was @252 lbs.

Riggins @230
    Csonka @237
    Franco @230

My best friend loved Riggins (wore #44) and modeled his run-style after him in high school. He stood 5-10, 220. Pretty big for HS football. He used to truck people.

Marcus Allen went to Lincoln HS... before my time as a HS football player. But I did get to play against his younger brother (Michael...?). Once, I shed Michael Allens' block and stuck Steve Taylor (Nebraska) on a QB option/keeper. That felt good!
    Damon Allen was Marcus's brother. Ended up with a decent career in Canada( CFL HOF, I believe)
    He and Taylor are 4 years apart, so unless Taylor( my graduating class of '85-PHHS) was playing tailback as a 9th grader( Damon was the Lincoln QB), maybe a different Taylor?

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Fun walk down memories lane. I’d argue that Walter and Barry both played on some really shit teams, most games there was nothing else defenses needed to key on other than them, and they still did it.
      Yeah, the Bears were built to play defense and run the ball. Later in his career, the OL got better with Hilgenberg, Bortz, and Covert.
      The Lions had a decent OL (Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover). Herman Moore was probably better than any WR LaDanian Tomlinson ever played with.
      Both teams had some pretty bad/average QB's. Scott Mitchell and Jim McMahon were average to above average QB's.

Anybody remember LT's offensive line his first 3 years...? It was offensive. The WR's were a joke until his 5th year.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Will Jalen Hurts take a step back without Shane Steichen, like Josh Allen did last season without Brian Daboll?

There is a difference. Josh Allen's head coach, Sean McDermot, is a defensive coach. Hurts' head coach, Nick Sirianni, is an offensive coach, who was a mentor to Steichen early in his career with the Chargers.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Yeah, the Bears were built to play defense and run the ball. Later in his career, the OL got better with Hilgenberg, Bortz, and Covert.
          The Lions had a decent OL (Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover). Herman Moore was probably better than any WR LaDanian Tomlinson ever played with.
          Both teams had some pretty bad/average QB's. Scott Mitchell and Jim McMahon were average to above average QB's.

Anybody remember LT's offensive line his first 3 years...? It was offensive. The WR's were a joke until his 5th year.
          When Scott Mitchell and Jim McMahon are highlighted as their best QBS, we can probably just stop right there. jmo. Mitchell and McMahon sucked.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

Josh Jacobs won't report to Raiders' training camp unless he gets a new deal by Monday. He joins the Giants' Saquon Barkley as RBs who got franchise tagged which they didn't sign because they want a long-term deal. Looks like there is a general revolt among RBs in the league over how under-valued their position is. Glad Telesco agreed to give Ekeler some incentives to prevent him holding out.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              Josh Jacobs won't report to Raiders' training camp unless he gets a new deal by Monday. He joins the Giants' Saquon Barkley as RBs who got franchise tagged which they didn't sign because they want a long-term deal. Looks like there is a general revolt among RBs in the league over how under-valued their position is. Glad Telesco agreed to give Ekeler some incentives to prevent him holding out.
              Excellent. Speak Truth To Power, Mr Jacobs!!!

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

Damon Allen was Marcus's brother. Ended up with a decent career in Canada( CFL HOF, I believe)
                He and Taylor are 4 years apart, so unless Taylor( my graduating class of '85-PHHS) was playing tailback as a 9th grader( Damon was the Lincoln QB), maybe a different Taylor?
                Marcus Allen had 4 brothers.
                Steve Taylor was a freshman QB when I was a sophomore. I graduated in 1984.
                I played for Christian HS (City Central League). Lincoln HS was in the same league at the time... along with Hoover, Crawford, and Saint Augustine.
                Pretty sure it was Michael Allen I played against. I'm certain it was Steve Taylor I played against... 1981-82 season.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

When Scott Mitchell and Jim McMahon are highlighted as their best QBS, we can probably just stop right there. jmo. Mitchell and McMahon sucked.
                  McMahon was good for the Bears, not so good in his lone season for the Bolts...

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    Reportedly Barkley was offered $13 mil a year, but wants $16 mil. I wonder why the Raiders didn't pick up Jacobs's year 5 option. Now they franchised him, and he's disenfranchised with their $10 mil tag...

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Reportedly Barkley was offered $13 mil a year, but wants $16 mil. I wonder why the Raiders didn't pick up Jacobs's year 5 option. Now they franchised him, and he's disenfranchised with their $10 mil tag...
                      No way Quadzilla is getting $16 mil per. $13 mil was a pretty good offer for a RB in this era, especially for one with his injury history. He had more carries and rushing yards than Ekeler last season, Ekeler's ypc (4.5 to 4.4) was slightly better. Barkley scored 10 rushing TDs, zero receiving TDs and had 1,650 combined yards. Ekeler scored 13 rushing TDs and 5 receiving TDs and had 1,637 combined yds. Ekeler has been in the league a year longer and is two years older. Quadzilla should take the $13 mil and be grateful.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

I saw the public debate on Ekeler’s repeat of his prior complatints on the Rich Eisen show the other day summed up succinctly in two tweets. I’m definitely not endorsing either absolute. I love the guy=the player, im bored with the guy=the failed negotiator, im not sympathetic to the guy=the complainer. It is what it is, I don’t blame him for trying to get more but I don’t care he didn’t get it.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

What drives Eke to press the issue is the same thing that drives him to outwork everyone in the weight room and what drove him from being an UDFA real-life cowboy to the NFLs TD leader. I personally am enjoying watching this beast of a man work his craft and fully except and even appreciate his aggressive negotiation tactics, however unsuccessful they were. I'm glad and proud that the Chargers handled it the way they did and am grateful to have Eke for 1 more year.

LFGAE!!
                          Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

Working...
                          X