• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Dallas just gave their 2020 undrafted rookie free agent right tackle a massive 86 mil deal, they paid him like he's one of the top RTs in the NFL! I don't think I've ever seen an undrafted guy get top dollar like that almost as if he'd been a high draft pick...it'll be interesting to see if other undrafted guys start demanding the same treatment...has Steele made all-pro or even a probowl yet? And the kid is coming off of a serious knee injury, I'm wondering why the cowboys paid him so much when they probably could've had him for a lot less, I'm all for players getting paid but overspending like that on a guy that is probably on par with Trey Pipkins, it just seems like a waste of salary cap, they must really believe that he has All-pro type ability that has yet to be put on display...This one really has me scratching my head right now...
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
      Dallas just gave their 2020 undrafted rookie free agent right tackle a massive 86 mil deal, they paid him like he's one of the top RTs in the NFL! I don't think I've ever seen an undrafted guy get top dollar like that almost as if he'd been a high draft pick...it'll be interesting to see if other undrafted guys start demanding the same treatment...has Steele made all-pro or even a probowl yet? And the kid is coming off of a serious knee injury, I'm wondering why the cowboys paid him so much when they probably could've had him for a lot less, I'm all for players getting paid but overspending like that on a guy that is probably on par with Trey Pipkins, it just seems like a waste of salary cap, they must really believe that he has All-pro type ability that has yet to be put on display...This one really has me scratching my head right now...
      Watch for a new movement to start, similar to the whining RB's holding out with a year or two left on their deal...UDFA's in their second or third year will now probably point to Steele and say, "I want what he's having..."
      (It never ends...)

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Jerruh Is an idiot, that's why.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
          The blocking schemes are 100% different than Lombardi's. This should be a real fun season!
          Yep...like I've said before, Moore's blocking and route schemes are light years ahead of Lombozo's lumbering, unimaginative, ineffective, predictable playcalling...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Jerruh Is an idiot, that's why.
            ...or he's just plain crazy...this move with an undrafted player coming off of tearing two ligaments in one knee, in a contract year and having never made All-pro or the probowl, I don't think I've ever seen a team do something like this...if he thought the kid was such a superstar I'm sure that the cowboys could've found a different way to keep him in the fold, perhaps the franchise tag or something like that...did Steele even play during the preseason? He got hurt in week 13 of last season so I'm wondering if he's even available in the first 3-5 weeks of the season?

I've seen Steele play a handful of times and it never occurred to me that I was watching one of the best RTs in the NFL, he seemed like a nice undrafted free agent find with potential to become a long term starter, but to pay him like he's one of the best in the NFL under the current circumstances is weird, especially since they just got done playing hardball with Zach martin's negotiations...
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

...or he's just plain crazy...this move with an undrafted player coming off of tearing two ligaments in one knee, in a contract year and having never made All-pro or the probowl, I don't think I've ever seen a team do something like this...if he thought the kid was such a superstar I'm sure that the cowboys could've found a different way to keep him in the fold, perhaps the franchise tag or something like that...did Steele even play during the preseason? He got hurt in week 13 of last season so I'm wondering if he's even available in the first 3-5 weeks of the season?

I've seen Steele play a handful of times and it never occurred to me that I was watching one of the best RTs in the NFL, he seemed like a nice undrafted free agent find with potential to become a long term starter, but to pay him like he's one of the best in the NFL under the current circumstances is weird, especially since they just got done playing hardball with Zach martin's negotiations...
              Actually, AJ Smith comes to mind when it comes to awarding big, bloated contracts to subpar or undeserving players:

• The Bolts signed Edge Jyles Tucker in 2007 as a UDFA. He had one big game, with 3 sacks vs. the Raiders that season, a feat never to be repeated. In the offseason, AJ re-signed Tucker for 5 years at a reported $14 million. That was a lot of money back then, especially for a player with only one year under his belt.

• The Bolts claimed OT Jared Gaither off waivers a few weeks short of the 2011 season. Gaither played well in a few games at the end of the season. In the offseason, he signed a 4 year, $24,500,000 contract with the San Diego Chargers, including a $8,000,000 signing bonus, $13,500,000 guaranteed. That was REAL big money back then. Gaither never did play up the the level the previous season, claimed he was injured, and finally released.

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
                Let's do this!
                • Aug 2022
                • Raleigh N. Carolina
                • Send PM

What's up with Travis Kelce publicly calling out Jones for holding out?

Jones is doing what he feels he needs to do to get paid correctly in a league throws away players like garbage when it's through with them.

Travis just got extended for $57M

Bad look and bad for team chemistry

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Actually, AJ Smith comes to mind when it comes to awarding big, bloated contracts to subpar or undeserving players:

• The Bolts signed Edge Jyles Tucker in 2007 as a UDFA. He had one big game, with 3 sacks vs. the Raiders that season, a feat never to be repeated. In the offseason, AJ re-signed Tucker for 5 years at a reported $14 million. That was a lot of money back then, especially for a player with only one year under his belt.

• The Bolts claimed OT Jared Gaither off waivers a few weeks short of the 2011 season. Gaither played well in a few games at the end of the season. In the offseason, he signed a 4 year, $24,500,000 contract with the San Diego Chargers, including a $8,000,000 signing bonus, $13,500,000 guaranteed. That was REAL big money back then. Gaither never did play up the the level the previous season, claimed he was injured, and finally released.
                  I was reading a thread on one of the cowboy forums about the Steele extension and a lot of people on there are not happy about the signing, reading things like he's above avg but not top ten RT like this contract makes him out to be, also folks are concerned about the timing of the extension with him coming off of tearing two ligaments in one knee...usually when the fan base is happy about a guy getting extended, you have a general consensus about the the signing being good with the usual troll here and there making off base remarks, but the conversation on that thread is very split and potentially slanted towards the negative, concerns over his health, concerns that they already had people that can play as well for less, on and on...there was a post about the "Jones' know what they are doing" that made me chuckle a bit...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by OG619FrightninLightnin View Post

Jones is doing what he feels he needs to do to get paid correctly in a league throws away players like garbage when it's through with them.

Kelce cares a lot about Kelce, apparently.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• northerner
                      Charger fan since '79
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by OG619FrightninLightnin View Post

i was surprised too. Kelce should know not to comment on someone's money. i like his podcast, but he is getting full of himself. he also had a fight in practice, which is something he should be smarter about. i hope we kick ass, but that dude kills us.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

i was surprised too. Kelce should know not to comment on someone's money. i like his podcast, but he is getting full of himself. he also had a fight in practice, which is something he should be smarter about. i hope we kick ass, but that dude kills us.
                        I thought he had two fights in camp lol. Agree with you - dude signs a big extension and then tells other players to stop scratching for their slice? Bad look.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I thought he had two fights in camp lol. Agree with you - dude signs a big extension and then tells other players to stop scratching for their slice? Bad look.
                          I saw a couple of different media guys commenting that they did not like the vibe coming out of the Chiefs this offseason and through camp. As long as Mahomes and Reid are there they'll be dangerous, but I wonder if this is the year they are knocked off their perch in the AFC West - and we are primed to do it.

Comment

Working...
                          X