• Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

I can't link or embed the video, but Mike Florio on PFT opines that concern about the Chargers taking over the market with Herbert and Staley helped motivated the Rams to make these bold moves.

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

If you haven't seen this video of robert saleh it's definitely worth a watch! I like his comments about mahommes at the twenty minute mark!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        I can't link or embed the video, but Mike Florio on PFT opines that concern about the Chargers taking over the market with Herbert and Staley helped motivated the Rams to make these bold moves.
        I like Florio, smart dude
        I think Woodeye said something very similar minutes after the news broke, makes sense.
        battle for LA is realer than I thought haha
        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I like Florio, smart dude
          I think Woodeye said something very similar minutes after the news broke, makes sense.
          battle for LA is realer than I thought haha
          Right now it's advantage Chargers. The best rookie QB in history going into his second season. A bright young coach. A younger roster with some standout stars. A full complement of draft picks. The Rams meanwhile are making desperation moves to make up for mistakes, mortgaging their future to win now, a coach who is losing his luster.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

i like the move by the rams: two low 1rst round picks.
            It was costly, but some franchises take gambles on greatness at the right time,
            and others consistently fold their cards and stand pat.

People have been saying the rams have been mortgaging the future the last 5 years.

Comment

• AK47
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Per Spotrac, the Rams are more than $35M over the salary cap and they have significant free agents and no significant cut friendly contracts other than Stafford, who they could pick up $20M by cutting.
              Who actually pays for that $35M over?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

The Rams or any team cannot be OVER The cap when the league year starts. So what that means is they will have to release players or more likely, kick the can on contracts. Which means converting salaries into bonuses and amortizing over 5 years. For instance, Aaron Donald has a salary of 19.8m. The Rams can turn that into a salary of $1m and signing bonus of say $18.8m, divide by 5 and save like 14m dollars on this years cap. But eventually the payment will come due (e.g. the Saints this year)

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                  i like the move by the rams: two low 1rst round picks.
                  It was costly, but some franchises take gambles on greatness at the right time,
                  and others consistently fold their cards and stand pat.

People have been saying the rams have been mortgaging the future the last 5 years.
                  I actually believe the moves are prudent for the Rams. They are gutsy, designed to take advantage of the capable roster the team has now. But I do think they are mortgaging the future to win now. The Rams are unusual in that the team's anchor is a defensive player not a QB. He makes the Rams' defense, and the Rams' defense makes the team. But Donald is turning 30 this year. So there is a limited window of time. Stafford is 33, which fits him into that window too.

That said, I've always liked Stafford and feel he has been held back by the circumstances of playing in Detroit. The Rams have a pretty good duo of WRs in Kupp and Woods, and their 2020 2nd rounder, the son of Shawn, is going be a nice addition to that corps. Stafford will also have two not great but solid receiving TEs in Higbee and Everett in his arsenal. Cam Akers, who I wish the Chargers had drafted, has upgraded their run game. The are going to have a pretty good offense to go with that defense and I wouldn't be surprised if they are the cream of the NFC next season. What if the Rams and Chargers are in the SB next year, it's going to be at Sofi :rofl:

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

During Watson’s rookie year, late owner Bob McNair made his infamous remark about player protests, detailed in an ESPN investigation, lamenting during an owners meeting, “We can’t have the inmates running the prison.” Soon after, he apologized. Then, about six months later in April 2018, McNair revisited the controversy and told the Wall Street Journal, “The main thing I regret is apologizing.”

He died seven months later, but the organizational mentality remains the same. Early in his career, Watson was trying to establish himself and was unwilling to call out the man who made him a millionaire. But like many young Black Americans, he has found his nerve and his voice during this difficult and tense time.

Before the coronavirus segregated the world, Watson spent the 2019 offseason traveling with his friend and quarterback trainer, Quincy Avery, visiting six countries and expanding his mind. He wasn’t just the kid from Gainesville, Ga., anymore. The former Clemson star was growing into himself. As the conversations about racial injustice grew more intense and the examples of inhumanity became more pronounced and horrifying, he knew he couldn’t remain a passive observer, especially when his sport needed to do some soul-searching.

Eight months ago, when NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell offered a post-George Floyd mea culpa for how the NFL had handled player protests against police brutality, the mixed reaction included surprise over Goodell’s admission, skepticism about his sincerity and a thought that his words provided fodder to hold the owners, his bosses, accountable.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Right now it's advantage Chargers. The best rookie QB in history going into his second season. A bright young coach. A younger roster with some standout stars. A full complement of draft picks. The Rams meanwhile are making desperation moves to make up for mistakes, mortgaging their future to win now, a coach who is losing his luster.
                      Yep...Rams are like the fading has-been movie star, desperately trying to get back on top but failing with each new film bombing...Bolts are the new kid on the block, up and coming, with a bright future...

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Technically, they are not allowed to do so and as all contracts must go through the NFL head offices it shouldn't happen.

In reality there are a few ways to run afoul of the rules or the league office may be misled initially. Once it has been determined that a violation has occurred the team must bring themselves into compliance in 7 days. Failure to do so will result in fines, lost draft picks and/or the cancellation of the contract which put the team out of compliance.

Answer (1 of 6): While it should never arise be ‘cuz in short, any move that puts them OVER the cap is would not be approved by the league. You cannot sign a player whose deal puts you over or whilemyou are over the cap. Now, suppose you are over in a future league year, you mst5 cut and remove ...

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2020
                          • Oklahoma
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Several of us made it to Cabo...when we were with that other forum...
                          Does Charger Tom party hearty in Mexico?:deadhorse::beer:

Comment

Working...
                          X