• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    What drives Eke to press the issue is the same thing that drives him to outwork everyone in the weight room and what drove him from being an UDFA real-life cowboy to the NFLs TD leader. I personally am enjoying watching this beast of a man work his craft and fully except and even appreciate his aggressive negotiation tactics, however unsuccessful they were. I'm glad and proud that the Chargers handled it the way they did and am grateful to have Eke for 1 more year.

LFGAE!!
    I can dig that right there

Swipe Up GIF
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

I am curious what others think about the decision of Carolina to draft Bryce Young #1 overall. I admire the young man greatly, so don't get me wrong. I just don't think a 5-10 QB can succeed in the NFL. Maybe as a back up, but not as an elite QB capable of taking a team to the SB. I think the Kyler Murray experiment has proven that. Am I wrong to believe this so strongly before Young ever takes an NFL snap? The Panthers traded their 9th overall pick in 2023, this year's 61st pick, next year's 1st rounder, a 2025 2nd rounder and WR DJ Moore for the Bears' #1 overall pick in order to draft a 5-10 QB. Would you be upset if the Chargers had made that move? I would.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        I am curious what others think about the decision of Carolina to draft Bryce Young #1 overall. I admire the young man greatly, so don't get me wrong. I just don't think a 5-10 QB can succeed in the NFL. Maybe as a back up, but not as an elite QB capable of taking a team to the SB. I think the Kyler Murray experiment has proven that. Am I wrong to believe this so strongly before Young ever takes an NFL snap? The Panthers traded their 9th overall pick in 2023, this year's 61st pick, next year's 1st rounder, a 2025 2nd rounder and WR DJ Moore for the Bears' #1 overall pick in order to draft a 5-10 QB. Would you be upset if the Chargers had made that move? I would.
        I don’t know if we are wrong but I 100% agree. I would never draft a 5-10 QB as I am institutionally biased and prejudiced to believe such a player cannot succeed. I thought the same before/when Murray was drafted. I’ve thought that for decades. I feel the same about “running QBs” - they are doomed to be hurt but more importantly NFL QB must first and foremost be a great pocket QB with a great arm. If he can then add some run, ok in limited amounts. But a running QB thats not a great pocket Qb will always fail. Mahomes runs some but he’s really not that fast, he is a great pocket QB who then saves a lot of plays being elusive and creative.

I loved Herbie over Tua before the draft based on this analysis. Much better arm, better in pocket, taller, more durable, = gonna be a much better NFL QB. It’s clear I was right …

2023 draft, I loved that big huge prospect Anthony Richardson, i think he’s going to be the star of this draft after some intense development to fix his mechanics flaws. Watch him lead to a resurgence of Indy in 2024 and beyond …

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don’t know if we are wrong but I 100% agree. I would never draft a 5-10 QB as I am institutionally biased and prejudiced to believe such a player cannot succeed. I thought the same before/when Murray was drafted. I’ve thought that for decades. I feel the same about “running QBs” - they are doomed to be hurt but more importantly NFL QB must first and foremost be a great pocket QB with a great arm. If he can then add some run, ok in limited amounts. But a running QB thats not a great pocket Qb will always fail. Mahomes runs some but he’s really not that fast, he is a great pocket QB who then saves a lot of plays being elusive and creative.

I loved Herbie over Tua before the draft based on this analysis. Much better arm, better in pocket, taller, more durable, = gonna be a much better NFL QB. It’s clear I was right …

2023 draft, I loved that big huge prospect Anthony Richardson, i think he’s going to be the star of this draft after some intense development to fix his mechanics flaws. Watch him lead to a resurgence of Indy in 2024 and beyond …
          Russell Wilson is only 5-10.5, so I guess there is precedent. But, yeah, I believe any QB under 6 foot or even 6-1 is going to have a hard time succeeding in the NFL.

And I agree about "running" QBs. Lamar Jackson is highly hyped because he won MVP one season. But he spends so much time injured he becomes a liability to his team. His best year passing was barely more than 3,000 yds and that was 4 seasons ago. He's 1-3 in the playoffs.

With all due deference to the short guys - I'm 5-10 myself - the NFL belongs to the Mahomes, Burrows, Allens and Herberts of the world. I wish Young luck in Carolina when he's not playing the Chargers, but I just don't see it working.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
            What drives Eke to press the issue is the same thing that drives him to outwork everyone in the weight room and what drove him from being an UDFA real-life cowboy to the NFLs TD leader. I personally am enjoying watching this beast of a man work his craft and fully except and even appreciate his aggressive negotiation tactics, however unsuccessful they were. I'm glad and proud that the Chargers handled it the way they did and am grateful to have Eke for 1 more year.

LFGAE!!
            To his credit, at least Ekkie didn't pull a Moaning Mel-type holdout...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Russell Wilson is only 5-10.5, so I guess there is precedent. But, yeah, I believe any QB under 6 foot or even 6-1 is going to have a hard time succeeding in the NFL.

And I agree about "running" QBs. Lamar Jackson is highly hyped because he won MVP one season. But he spends so much time injured he becomes a liability to his team. His best year passing was barely more than 3,000 yds and that was 4 seasons ago. He's 1-3 in the playoffs.

With all due deference to the short guys - I'm 5-10 myself - the NFL belongs to the Mahomes, Burrows, Allens and Herberts of the world. I wish Young luck in Carolina when he's not playing the Chargers, but I just don't see it working.
              there are a couple exceptions, and hundreds of examples, of our hypothesis. Young could be the next exception, i too wish every man well in the field of objective competition. He’s got a better chance than many shorties before him, he was a better college QB than most of them. He is a QB before runner, which is key to NFL. All accounts I’ve read are that he is a great person and leader. I’d still have taken Richardson and worked thru the pain of fixing his mechanical flaws. 3 years from now, i think he is the cream of the draft. Year 1, Young is likely the best.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

To his credit, at least Ekkie didn't pull a Moaning Mel-type holdout...
                Agree, i actually expect his righteous anger to result in production. It’s the story of his life, he won’t change who he is. Also expect its our last year together, so lets enjoy the friendship one last season.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

there are a couple exceptions, and hundreds of examples, of our hypothesis. Young could be the next exception, i too wish every man well in the field of objective competition. He’s got a better chance than many shorties before him, he was a better college QB than most of them. He is a QB before runner, which is key to NFL. All accounts I’ve read are that he is a great person and leader. I’d still have taken Richardson and worked thru the pain of fixing his mechanical flaws. 3 years from now, i think he is the cream of the draft. Year 1, Young is likely the best.
                  Yep, I would've drafted Richardson too, especially if I had a coach like Steichen, who helped Herbert attain rookie of the year and Hurts reach the Super Bowl.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Desperation to get a QB. Not out of the norm but this class wasnt great and he in their opinion is the best bet to succeed. The only under 6' QB to have any success is Russell Wilson and he is always the most sacked QB every season because he holds the ball too long likely because he cant see down field very well.

Murray is becoming a disaster. If it were me i think id have taken Stroud, though i dont think he is a sure thing either. Hooker might be good but he is already 25 or 26 years old. Dont like Levis or Richardson.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Yep, I would've drafted Richardson too, especially if I had a coach like Steichen, who helped Herbert attain rookie of the year and Hurts reach the Super Bowl.
                      Herbert is miles more talented than Richardson. You are giving Steichen too much credit. Pep was the QB coach then and Herbert has done well since then without them.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Herbert is miles more talented than Richardson. You are giving Steichen too much credit. Pep was the QB coach then and Herbert has done well since then without them.
                        I give Steichen credit for recognizing Herbert's talent and letting him play to his talents and not holding him back.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

I give Steichen credit for recognizing Herbert's talent and letting him play to his talents and not holding him back.
                          Not sure id buy that. You think only Steichen saw his talent? Telesco drafted him, they all were aware of his talent and arm. Lynn is the one who loved Tyrod lol...and id bet he was forced by those above him to stick with Herbert when Tyrod was ready to play.

We'll see this year. Richardson isnt near the passer Herbert is.

Comment

Working...
                          X