• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I had no idea until I read his obit that he was of Filipino heritage. I was a boy in the '60s and he was a sex symbol, I saw him on TV variety shows with women fawning all over him. At 6-5, he was unusually tall even for an NFL QB back then. My best friend growing up was named Roman. But he was Italian. It's an interesting name for an American of Filipino-Irish descent.
    He was a Junior, by the way. Filipino names are all over the place, because of the Spanish and American influence. He's one of those guys that fall into the Very Good category, that don't quite make it into the HOF, like Ken Anderson. Maybe he gets noticed by the Senior Committee some day.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

One of my favorite trades of the year.
      Paton is the same GM that traded for Russell Wilson, so it’s hard to be surprised by this one. I’m just glad he is their GM, though to be fair - swapping a 6th for a 7th round pick and having the Jets pay part of his salary is very low risk.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

John Middlekauff, is a former Eagles scout and former Athletic writer covering the 49ers and Raiders. He opines that most people make life decisions based on how much money they can earn. But when you have a lot of money, you should not let money become the primary factor. He uses the example of Tom Brady, who accepted less money to continue playing for NE when the Patriots had a really good roster. The legacy he sealed for himself is more valuable than the extra millions he could've made, because he already has more money than he needs. (I feel Keenan's decision not take a pay cut to remain with the Chargers may cause him some regret in the future, if the Chargers win Super Bowls under Harbaugh.)

But Middlekauff is really making the point that Sean Payton blew it by taking the Broncos job. Payton has all the money he could ever want, but he couldn't resist the money the WalMart people threw at him, and the Broncos are going to tarnish his legacy because the franchise is such a mess. Payton wanted the Chargers job, but the Spanoses didn't want to fire Staley after the 2022 season. Middlekauf said he should've waited another season for the Chargers job to open instead of taking the Broncos job. It does make me wonder if the Spanoses told his agent they were never going to surrender a 1st and 2nd pick for Payton. Middlekauff goes onto compare why the Broncos job was a disaster hole compared to why the Chargers job was so attractive, the reason being largely because of Herbert. He notes that the Chargers had a cap mess, but Harbaugh (and Hortiz) cleaned that up in a hurry and the team is in good shape.

He also notes that the 2021 QB class was a joke, because of the 2020 college season, the COVID cancellations caused QBs to look good (against lesser teams) when in a normal year they would not have stood out, or in the case of Trey Lance they got drafted based on their 2019 performances.

And he opines, as I have, that multiple players from this QB class are going to turn out to be busts. He doesn't name players, he just says it always happens in the NFL, there QBs who enter the league with high expectations who don't make it.

I've been thinking about that too. Who is going to be great and who is going fall flat from the 2024 class. There were a lot of question marks about CJ Stroud last season, nobody was expecting him to be as good as he was as a rookie.

Sean Payton made HUGE MISTAKE taking Broncos job, destined to fail with Zach Wilson | 3 & Out

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

John Middlekauff, is a former Eagles scout and former Athletic writer covering the 49ers and Raiders. He opines that most people make life decisions based on how much money they can earn. But when you have a lot of money, you should not let money become the primary factor. He uses the example of Tom Brady, who accepted less money to continue playing for NE when the Patriots had a really good roster. The legacy he sealed for himself is more valuable than the extra millions he could've made, because he already has more money than he needs. (I feel Keenan's decision not take a pay cut to remain with the Chargers may cause him some regret in the future, if the Chargers win Super Bowls under Harbaugh.)

But Middlekauff is really making the point that Sean Payton blew it by taking the Broncos job. Payton has all the money he could ever want, but he couldn't resist the money the WalMart people threw at him, and the Broncos are going to tarnish his legacy because the franchise is such a mess. Payton wanted the Chargers job, but the Spanoses didn't want to fire Staley after the 2022 season. Middlekauf said he should've waited another season for the Chargers job to open instead of taking the Broncos job. It does make me wonder if the Spanoses told his agent they were never going to surrender a 1st and 2nd pick for Payton. Middlekauff goes onto compare why the Broncos job was a disaster hole compared to why the Chargers job was so attractive, the reason being largely because of Herbert. He notes that the Chargers had a cap mess, but Harbaugh (and Hortiz) cleaned that up in a hurry and the team is in good shape.

He also notes that the 2021 QB class was a joke, because of the 2020 college season, the COVID cancellations caused QBs to look good (against lesser teams) when in a normal year they would not have stood out, or in the case of Trey Lance they got drafted based on their 2019 performances.

And he opines, as I have, that multiple players from this QB class are going to turn out to be busts. He doesn't name players, he just says it always happens in the NFL, there QBs who enter the league with high expectations who don't make it.

I've been thinking about that too. Who is going to be great and who is going fall flat from the 2024 class. There were a lot of question marks about CJ Stroud last season, nobody was expecting him to be as good as he was as a rookie.

Sean Payton made HUGE MISTAKE taking Broncos job, destined to fail with Zach Wilson | 3 & Out
          I think the Broncos should bolster their QB room and bring in Josh Rosen

Oh Yeah Love GIF by ZDF Magazin Royale

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Wait... is john middlekauff allowed to opine about other people's money and legacy and question the wisdom of their actions??

Should we be outraged?
            P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
            P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
            P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
            P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Do you kind of feel the Donks sold their soul to win that Super Bowl in the 2015-16 season and they are still paying for it? They haven't made the playoffs since and have had losing seasons every year since 2016. They've finished last in the division in 4 of the 8 seasons since that Super Bowl. And they'll probably finish last in 2024 also. If Harbaugh doesn't sweep the Broncos this season, something is wrong.
              Jim Harbaugh is 3-1 against Sean Payton. Granted, those are different teams they had then. Need to return the favor and sweep them. Chargers haven't swept the Broncos since 2010.

I suppose the Broncos did sell their soul for that Super Bowl run. They had their time. The Rams too. KC is keeping them coming. Those on the Chiefs who are in on the shady stuff are selling people out and bad stuff is befalling people in their city or organization.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                I think the Broncos should bolster their QB room and bring in Josh Rosen
                Ryan Tannehill and Blaine Gabbert are also available...let's make it a 4-ring circus...

Comment

• Jack Burton
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2023
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Ryan Tannehill and Blaine Gabbert are also available...let's make it a 4-ring circus...
                  I think they’ll end up with one of those after the draft.
                  I just can’t see a team taking Nix at 12 or 13 or even in the 1st at all.

But the bigger picture is this draft is it if you need a QB. You just cannot go into next years draft thinking you are gonna get one. It’s bad as of today and that might change but it might not. It might be even worse than we can imagine.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                    Beef Before Gazelles
                    • May 2021
                    • Send PM

No surprise that Washington isn't trading out of the #2 spot, but I guess now it's more or less official.

“Teams trying to move up for QB and calling Washington are being told they are not moving,” Russini reported on Tuesday. “Washington’s GM Adam Peters has publicly stated the Commanders feel great about staying at No. 2 and picking their QB.”

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Paton is the same GM that traded for Russell Wilson, so it’s hard to be surprised by this one. I’m just glad he is their GM, though to be fair - swapping a 6th for a 7th round pick and having the Jets pay part of his salary is very low risk.
                      Zach Wilson was the second overall pick of his draft class. If his ego has a keister, it just got stomped hard by a steel-toed boot.

Comment

• Scharnhorst43
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2023
                        • Send PM

And those new Donkey uniforms? Those shoulders look strikingly like lightning bolts. Trying for some easy INTs??

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Segue... former Rams, and Eagles QB Roman Gabriel passed at 83 on 4/20/24. RIP. He had a Filipino dad and and a mom of Irish background. First NFL QB of Filipino-American descent, and maybe Asian-American descent. Won the MVP in 1969.

Probably the 3rd best QB out of North Carolina State, behind Philip Rivers and Russell Wilson.
                          Sorry to hear that about Roman G.

I remember a story about him breaking a finger pulling out crab grass from his yard and never was quite the same.
                          Very well might not be true.

I was a Rams fan in the 70s.

Comment

Working...
                          X