• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leslie Grossman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2020
    • Oklahoma
    • Send PM

Don't forget Craig Davis, Jacob Hester, and passing on Polamalu to get Sammy Davis and Terrence Kiel.

Has a GM ever been great his first 4 years and terrible his last 5 like AJ? I doubt it.
    Maybe he took a surfboard to the cranium like Beathard?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post
      Don't forget Craig Davis, Jacob Hester, and passing on Polamalu to get Sammy Davis and Terrence Kiel.

Has a GM ever been great his first 4 years and terrible his last 5 like AJ? I doubt it.
      Maybe he took a surfboard to the cranium like Beathard?
      I think he got cocky and arrogant

He overpaid for Hester
      He gave up a lot for Weddle - and even though Weddle was a very good player and probably worth it - he did give up a lot and when you combine that with 8 picks before - or whatever Buster Davis was - that was a lot of draft capital

Draft picks like Waters and Crompton were not good

I think one year AJ mentioned going into training camp they had like 46 out of 53 spots - this might have been just after the draft. But I think he felt like he was playing in with house money a year or two. He never replenished the shelves. The draft and UDFA - every year - every year - you have to hit on those . No years off

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2020
        • Oklahoma
        • Send PM

No doubt about the cocky and arrogant part. "You're a Charger year to year"
        Too bad Marty was arrogant enough to push for hiring his brother.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Leggo my Eggo waffles part 2 are back in the menu boys.......at least in the ATL.

Larry English? Trading up for Jonas Mouton. Hopefully Jr leaves the Ego home.
          He didnt trade up for Mouton, he reached all the way to the second round for him when he was probably a 4th-5th rounder.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think he got cocky and arrogant

He overpaid for Hester
            He gave up a lot for Weddle - and even though Weddle was a very good player and probably worth it - he did give up a lot and when you combine that with 8 picks before - or whatever Buster Davis was - that was a lot of draft capital

Draft picks like Waters and Crompton were not good

I think one year AJ mentioned going into training camp they had like 46 out of 53 spots - this might have been just after the draft. But I think he felt like he was playing in with house money a year or two. He never replenished the shelves. The draft and UDFA - every year - every year - you have to hit on those . No years off
            A lot of posters at that other forum openly worshiped AJ and called him God...yes, I think at least some of that crazy crap went to his head...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

He didnt trade up for Mouton, he reached all the way to the second round for him when he was probably a 4th-5th rounder.
              Mouton, Hester, Crompton and Waters were "house money picks"

English I think was expected to go where he did or within in reason
              Buster Davis
              Telesco picking Pipkins in round 3 and Mager too - those are just reaches. Use a 5th on those guys

I am good with higher floor lower ceiling players in round 2-4. Round 5 if you want to swing - fine. Just get good solid contributors in rounds 2-4 and for the most part, Telesco gets a D- for R3 and R4 in his tenure.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Leggo my Eggo waffles part 2 are back in the menu boys.......at least in the ATL.

Yeah, he made mistakes but look at how bad the team was before he took over and then look at those powerful teams after he stepped in.

He was often a pain in the rear but he got results!
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

A lot of posters at that other forum openly worshiped AJ and called him God...yes, I think at least some of that crazy crap went to his head...
                  You mean the owners forum? His last few years I couldn't stand him when he bickered with every player including VJ, Tomlinson, as well as Sproles. When He picked Mouton over Randall Cobb I literally lost it with that guy!
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

AJ was good until he decided he was the smartest guy in the room. After that his decision making skills declined. Continually reaching for gems that everyone else sees as rocks was his undoing.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

No idea if anything comes from this but I'll again say,. The Rams GM should be fired.

Goff being shopped to multiple teams

The Rams want an upgrade at quarterback. But first they need to get rid of the quarterback they have.

A trade that would ship Jared Goff off has been discussed between the Rams and multiple teams, according to Jordan Rodrigue of TheAthletic.com. One of those teams may be the Lions, who reportedly had discussions with the Rams about a trade involving Matthew Stafford.

It has become obvious that the Rams simply no longer want to be on the hook for Goff’s contract, which carries more than $43 million in fully guaranteed payments in 2021 and 2022.

But why would any other team want Goff’s contract? His performance has been mediocre the last two seasons, and although he did help the Rams get to the Super Bowl after the 2018 season, it’s hard not to think a whole lot of quarterbacks could have played just as well as Goff did in Sean McVay’s offense.

The Rams are now paying for their decision to give Goff a huge contract extension in the offseason after they went to that Super Bowl. If they had just allowed him to play out his rookie contract, he’d now be heading into free agency, and the Rams could decide in the coming weeks whether to extend him, franchise him, or let him walk. But because they extended him after only three seasons, they’re stuck with his contract.

Unless they can find a trading partner. They’ll keep spreading the word that they’re in trade talks in the hope that some team bites.

Report: Rams have talked to multiple teams about trading Jared Goff originally appeared on Pro Football Talk

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Best GM the Chargers ever had. BTW, you left off the 12 players the Chargers had on the 2006, would've been 13, but Darren Sproles was put on IR by Marty for the year, when he broke his leg in preseason. Sproles was ready to go by December.

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

My guess is the Colts

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said to "expect" a trade involving Matthew Stafford before the Super Bowl.

Even Lions coach Dan Campbell said trade talks were "hot and heavy". A deal will get done very shortly after the Lions agreed with Stafford that a change of scenery is best for both sides. The Rams have inquired about getting a deal done for Stafford, but they'd need to find a trade partner for Jared Goff and his contract for that to work under the salary cap. The 49ers, Colts, Football Team, Patriots, and others are also expected to inquire. Stafford, 32, comes with cap hits of $33 million and $26 million over the next two seasons, although the Lions would eat $19 million of that when he's dealt. Stafford could be the first domino to fall in what could be a massive game of musical chairs in the quarterback market.

Comment

Working...
                          X