• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I know the question wasn't for me but I gotta say, I think XH's talent is worth the risk
    I think he's wrong to assert his leverage here, but I genuinely believe he simple jumped at the big money without seriously considering the guaranteed money and is regretting it now
    I would be shocked if he had the balls to pull off something your describing, he would look like a complete ass, and really ruin his rep around the league.

We're not finding a better corner in the draft or in FA

I'd be for taking this chance
    No doubt the talent is there, but I'm concerned he might pull some headcase stunt in the future. What also concerns me is he has had a couple of injury-plagued seasons (only 5 and 7 games played in two years), yet when he wanted a big fat extension, the Fins were actually pretty generous by shelling out $75 mil, even though they had only gotten a mediocre return on investment due to him missing so much time due to injuries. Now, only two years after they re-did THAT deal, he's whining for more bank. Sorry, don't think Howling Howie is a TT kind of guy...

howard 2.JPG

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Asante Samuel for X Howard straight up. Providing we get a 5 year deal with X first. Miami is not getting a better deal.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• equivocation
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2021
        • Send PM

Yes, he signed a contract. Unless that contract has language prohibiting requesting a rework or requesting a trade, he is not violating that contract. He's at camp and doing his work. Considering how new the contract is, I doubt he gets what he wants.

But asking for things is not the same as holding out or otherwise violating the contract. It's just not. Is it a flag that he may be a malcontent in general? Sure, I can see that. But he's well within his rights and contract to do so.

NFL teams can terminate a contract at any point they choose. It happens fairly often after 1 year. Why don't we demand they "honor their contracts"? "If you didn't want this guy on your team, you shouldn't have signed him to a 6 year contract 5 years ago!" Yeah, I've never heard that. The only concern is how much cap space terminating the contract can free up.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
          Asante Samuel for X Howard straight up. Providing we get a 5 year deal with X first. Miami is not getting a better deal.
          Interesting and creative proposal
          I don't remember any trade involving recently drafted 2nd rounders but ya I'd consider that.
          we can afford to pay XH
          Dolphins can potentially gain a cheap talented cb
          Win win
          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Former MVP Lamar Jackson tested positive for COVID-19 prior to the first camp practice, coach John Harbaugh announced, becoming the second prominent contributor to this innovative offense to now be forced to miss an extended period of early work (joining running back Gus Edwards). Jackson, who has been negotiating a mega-contract extension with the Ravens this offseason, has declined to offer his vaccination status in the past, but Harbaugh indicated he has taken multiple tests in the past week – many of them negative – which, given the NFL's testing protocols, is indicative of a player who has not been vaccinated. Those players, when testing positive, are precluded from practicing for 10 days, which takes Baltimore up to the week of its first preseason game, Aug. 14 against New Orleans.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Not interested in signing a whiner...pass...

Comment

• CivilBolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Not interested in signing a whiner...pass...
                I agree. I think we had enough whining when Moaning Mel was here. Just messes up the locker room.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

I agree. I think we had enough whining when Moaning Mel was here. Just messes up the locker room.
                  Yep...for the life of me, don't understand why so many in this forum overlook not only the locker room cancer effect of a whining headcase, but also the effect on management, finances, and the fans...once a player starts going public on either contract negotiations or other issues, it's all downhill after that...

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Asante Samuel for X Howard straight up. Providing we get a 5 year deal with X first, followed by a whining tweetstorm after year 2, demanding more $$$...Miami is not getting a better deal.
                    There...fixed it for 'ya!

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...for the life of me, don't understand why so many in this forum overlook not only the locker room cancer effect of a whining headcase, but also the effect on management, finances, and the fans...once a player starts going public on either contract negotiations or other issues, it's all downhill after that...
                      Having drafted Asante Samuel, Jr., the Bolts appear to have addressed their CB deficiencies to a significant degree.

If they like what they see in Samuel, it makes no sense to designate a significant chunk of cap space to X. Howard.

If they believe they've made a huge mistake with Samuel, and need to recover from that by adding Howard, I'd look at that differently.

But as far as I know, that isn't the case. IMO, the cap space the Bolts have available to them would be better invested elsewhere.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                        Yes, he signed a contract. Unless that contract has language prohibiting requesting a rework or requesting a trade, he is not violating that contract. He's at camp and doing his work. Considering how new the contract is, I doubt he gets what he wants.

But asking for things is not the same as holding out or otherwise violating the contract. It's just not. Is it a flag that he may be a malcontent in general? Sure, I can see that. But he's well within his rights and contract to do so.

NFL teams can terminate a contract at any point they choose. It happens fairly often after 1 year. Why don't we demand they "honor their contracts"? "If you didn't want this guy on your team, you shouldn't have signed him to a 6 year contract 5 years ago!" Yeah, I've never heard that. The only concern is how much cap space terminating the contract can free up.
                        Teams are honoring the terms in the contracts. They'd be sued out of existence if they didn't. Both sides know the structure of these long term contracts is to fit players within the salary cap and how the back end will not ever be met in many cases.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

In other news, Wentz out indefinitely for undisclosed foot injury at end of practice today.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X