• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Why not just sign him to a regular contract? Do we expect crazy demands?

BTW, I bet McGuire cringes every time Staley effusively praises a player. Especially those who are in contract years. And Staley does it a lot and does it sincerely. McGuire probably has PTSD. (Post Traumatic Staley DIsorder)

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I see a completely affordable Franchise Tag coming for Mike Will.
      I hope not. Either sign him to a long term, reasonable deal or let him walk and spend the money elsewhere.

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I hope not. Either sign him to a long term, reasonable deal or let him walk and spend the money elsewhere.
        Conversely, I am stating my opinion as to what the franchise will do. I view this in much the same way I did the Vincent Jackson situation, the organization made a difficult business decision and moved on.
        In the Melvin Ingram situation, the organization fully guaranteed his salary before saying 'so long'.

I expect the organization to offer the Franchise Tag. And draft another receiver in 2022.

Point is, the Chargers are good cap stewards every year and that carries over, the Chargers will be in a position to be flexible to do whatever they please with the new cap.
        Last edited by ghost; 12-14-2021, 06:27 PM. Reason: Misspelling.

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

I think Mike W is an important player for this team - both on and off the field. i really hope they can sign him to a decent deal - decent for both sides. He's a good team member.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
            I think Mike W is an important player for this team - both on and off the field. i really hope they can sign him to a decent deal - decent for both sides. He's a good team member.
            $12 mil per year ...keep. Solid player plus good character. $18 mil...well we could sign 3 solid oline players for that and draft more playmakers on offense. I do trust Telesco there in finding playmakers.

:hello:
            Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
              Day One...
              • Mar 2019
              • Brentwood, 94513
              • Send PM

Word, with so much cap space, just sign 81. If he wants to stay with an Elite QB or decides to Hunter it, let him go. I prefer he stays, but isn’t Devante Adams a free agent?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I see a completely affordable Franchise Tag coming for Mike Will.
                Why wouldn't we just sign him? His tag will be more than the 15.7 mil it is now. Just sign him long term for 17 per year.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

I don't think he is worth anywhere near $17 mill per season. Do you think his production is going to jump up to be similar to the other players on the attached list will be in the near future? There are a lot of players who are a lot more productive than Williams on the south side of $17 mill per season (the graphic below is sorted by average per year).

This is the kind of thing the franchise tag was invented for. Let him play another season and see if he can put together the kind of improvement in his consistency that is expected out of a big-money WR. This season was kind of a wait-and-see thing because he wasn't worth what he got paid this season. His overall ability is there, but he needs to stop disappearing for such long stretches. Some of that is due to injury, but that is not comforting because he has been dinged up most of his career. I'm not against signing him to a reasonable contract, but something more in line with his production.

Frankly, given the production of other "X's" in the NO style of O, I am a little disappointed in his production this season. It has been better than it has been but is still somewhat lacking in terms of an overall route tree. He flashed some of that early in the year, but it is just still not quite there. I would like to see him do a bit more on the shorter routes in the tree. Turning shorter routes into something. He just doesn't have as many short catches as I would like to see, because with his size and run after the catch, you have to think he can make things happen at the bottom of the tree, and he just doesn't. Even just like the catch he had vs the Giants, where in the 1st quarter he took a shorter gain and dragged a couple of DB for an extra 5 yards.

WR avg per year 12_15_21.png

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    BetterToday ThanYesterday
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Because franchise tags are single year cap killers, Steve. Can’t spread it, pro rate it, defer it. It all hits all at once. May make sense if chargers don’t lock up their own premier players or make some big splashes. And also it’s time to fish or cut bait here. How much longer do we want to wait to see who Williams is? We did that this year and he has underperformed his contract this year. He has been good but not as good as he is getting paid.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Parcells
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I’d probably take Chris Godwin over Mike Williams.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Square got waived. 4th time he's been let go from a team this year. What can I say? He contributed to many years of the Chargers mediocrity and even losing seasons. He's terrible and a waste of roster space and time.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post
                          Square got waived. 4th time he's been let go from a team this year. What can I say? He contributed to many years of the Chargers mediocrity and even losing seasons. He's terrible and a waste of roster space and time.
                          Square keeps getting cut for a reason...

Comment

Working...
                          X