• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolts4ever213
    Day One...
    • Mar 2019
    • Brentwood, 94513
    • Send PM

I’m pretty sure Feiler likes tapping Linsey before the snap. So no, I don’t see him moving.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
      If Feiler moves to RT, we need 2 OGs. Is Jaimes ready to play in 2022? Beats me. I generally don’t like taking OGs in top 17 either. I can’t say Zion is the exception to that - he has a great first step, utilizes leverage well, moves well at the 2nd level, appears ideal for a zone blocking scheme - plus he’s a ready backup OC. But OG that early? Idunno.
      Then hope that TT breaks convention again and finds a way to trade down to get a late first and second.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

In the playoff game v the Chiefs, Bills' QB Josh Allen ran a lot. Several of them were designed runs, and it worked, he really moved the ball and it opened up the passing game. I wondered if that would be something Herbert can do more of. He's the same size as Allen - an inch taller but the same weight, 237 lbs. His Combine 40 time was almost 1/10 second faster than Allen. We've seen what Herbert can do as a runner (the anti-Rivers), and in college he did a lot of damage with his legs - did you guys see his Rose Bowl performance?

But it turns out, McDermott, Allen's HC in Buff, wants Allen to run less.

Bills quarterback Josh Allen had more carries (122) and more rushing yards (763) than any season in his four-year career.

“We’re always trying to evolve — on the field, off the field, schematically — and in this case with Josh’s running or the amount of times that we run him, we have to continue to evolve that way and making sure we’re doing right by him by doing right by our team. So, we are going to keep a close eye on that. But the one thing we will never take from Josh is his competitive nature and spirit. So, he’s going to do it when he’s going to do it.”

Comment

• Parcells
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

One hit on a QB can derail the whole season. I don’t want a QB to be a pseudo running back, no matter how dangerous that makes him. Now, come playoffs or a couple times in a crucial game, we may have to take that chance. But in general, I don’t want Herbert getting hit.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
            Apparently Popper also thinks it's Feiler to RT
            if so, it's a great, sneaky undertheradar move disguised as sleeping from Telesco.
            So draft Penning and move him to LG for a year? I’m good with that.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I guess it's up for debate but maybe Penning can play RG next to Feiler (RT) to shadow him for a year.
              Feiler was a great support to Slater, can help but feel he would be the same to Penning

Slater. Jaimes. Linsley. Penning. Feiler.
              Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
                One hit on a QB can derail the whole season. I don’t want a QB to be a pseudo running back, no matter how dangerous that makes him. Now, come playoffs or a couple times in a crucial game, we may have to take that chance. But in general, I don’t want Herbert getting hit.
                100% QFT. Start naming all of the great “running” QBs who had a long illustrious career. That list of elite running QBs is going to end at about 3 in the last 50 years.

It was good to see Herbie learned to slide instead of plowing DBs shoulder first last year, the lost yards mean nothing compared to his safety. A couple runs a game is all that is needed to keep a defense semi-honest. I am good with that type of unpredictability in the scheme - just do not make it a habit to run him.

Watching Allen vs Herbie run … and this is just my eyeball impression/guess - I think Allen has a slightly faster 10 yd split (e.g. burst) - 40 times are not a good indicator if they aren’t going to run 40 yards. Herbie seems to take a shade longer to get up to full speed. Just my eyes, could be wrong.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

I don't mind how much he runs, as long as he picks his moments well so he avoids hits.

One of the big reasons so many NFL teams play so much zone D is that it defends the QB runs so much better than man coverages do. In man, especially press-man, the coverage defenders turn their backs on the QB, giving him a window where the QB is running before the coverage guys know they have to stop the QB. Zone guys may spend a lot of time watching the receivers in their and adjacent zones, but they are also reading the QB.

Most NFL teams are playing mostly zone these days, so I think the days of running QB is probably going to scale down some. There will still be moments, but I would prefer he picks his spots and tries to maximize his impact of the run by picking spots where he has plenty of open space to run into.

I think some of the running that McDermott for the Bills is talking about is that the Bills were still using Allen in a lot of zone-read type of plays. We went through that with Herbert very briefly, but he was a much better pocket passer right from the beginning, so we ditched that after just a couple of games in his rookie year.

Buffalo started using Allen in their zone-read runs back when he was struggling as a pocket passer. It helped their running game then but now seems like it is a kinda high risk given that Allen is a pretty good pocket passer in his own right.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Buffalo started using Allen in their zone-read runs back when he was struggling as a pocket passer. It helped their running game then but now seems like it is a kinda high risk given that Allen is a pretty good pocket passer in his own right.
                    His running style is very high risk as he does not do anything to avoid contact. He is a big guy who has been pretty durable but he sure does take a lot of hard hits. One day, he won't get up.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

My entire management style with Herbert would be to minimize the hits he takes. Let’s get him to 200 consecutive games played without any major injuries. I understand he going to get hit, but let’s minimize them, especially on the non-critical plays. And he can feel free to run when the D lets him. Just slide or get out of bounds.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Throwing to wide open Olave-- I mean, receivers can help minimize hits too.
                        Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

That's what the Bolts did with Fluke...if I draft a RT, I want him to stay at RT...

Comment

Working...
                          X