• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Beachcomber can’t stand prosperity. Sky is falling post. Do the deep dive on the other rosters and everything that can go wrong and we’ll be able to discuss. Until then I can’t take the post seriously

Comment

• Boltx
      Dominate the day
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
      The Bills have been chasing the Chiefs in the AFC during the past few seasons, and they were chasing them in this draft as well, as both teams maneuvered to select cornerbacks late in the first round. Kansas City leaped past Buffalo by trading up eight spots to 21 for cornerback Trent McDuffie. Buffalo then jumped two spots, bypassing Dallas, to take cornerback Kaiir Elam at 23. There would not be another corner selected until 35.

The Bills will be early season Super Bowl favorites but I can see a lot of teams coming out of the AFC.
      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
        ok, reading this thread has me going to Our Lads and checking out the AFC West rosters, and.... sorry to say, but just have a funny feeling 'bout this season, and it's not so hot.... ??

KC

think the only guy that disappoints @receiver for the Chiefs is MVS, as think they have enough otherwise.... they also have a hellah HC & QB. their Oline is somewhere between tough and awesome, save for RT (sound familiar ?).... they still have Kelce 'n Clyde, and as was hoping to get him as a Charger, am of the opinion that Ronald Jones is gonna be a huge plus.... also like JuJu quite a bit.

their defense leaves a little to be desired, w/a decent Dline and some safety talent, plus McDuffie, who will be a plus.... question is, how did we not beat these guys ?? cannot forget that we had them handled in the first half w/Anthony Ray and Herbotron ?? ....good kicker too.

Denver

am a big Russell Wilson fan, and think he's got more than enough to work w/at wideout, and despite a rather big blow @TE w/the loss of Fant, there is Dulcich, who could produce some, and more than anything they will have Javonte Williams year 2.... he's a player/super baller.... their IOL is pretty solid as well.

their defense also leaves a bit to be desired, as they more have some bright spots, as opposed to strong position groups, let alone a cohesive D, and.... that said, we didn't exactly handle them either.

Vegas

on offense, they are a big handful, w/some serious challenges w/their receiver group, @TE, and again @RB, dude is gonna do some damage, and.... have never liked Carr, but he is a bit like the Eveready bunny, and just keeps on ticking.

on D, they have some top end talent on that side of the ball, and they sure look like they could be tough to run on up the middle.

LAC

think we have a huge plus in Herbert, but am not convinced his talents are being optimized, as think Lombardi, and perhaps @the behest of Telesco, did his best to push the MW narrative, and that he is this and that type of receiver, which however is a less efficient offense, and likely leaves/left Keenan a bit frustrated in not getting the ball as often as he'd like/should ?? we are also counting on a step up taken by the both of Palmer and Guyton.... @RB, we all love Austin's powers that be, but no one will be confusing Spiller w/Javonte nor Josh Jacobs, and prolly not Ronald Jones as well.

would also volunteer that if the either of Pips or Storm are on the roster, let alone starting, that we have FO politics interfering w/putting our best players on the field, and on the 53.

not sure that Everett is any big upgrade over Cook, and Parham and McKitty are still ?s.... think the latter could be more productive than expected, but we did not draft any TE talent this last go 'round, which leaves us a bit vulnerable here, @least by my take.

on O, think we need to get Keenan and Ekeler the ball, albeit not sure we have that third big threat.... know you like MW, and when he's on, we're pretty darn good, and when he's not, aren't we closer to so so, as in 9-8 ??

and on D, know most everyone is head over heels for SJD and Johnson, and.... not convinced they are that huge of an upgrade over a healthy Linval and Justin Jones ?? Bosa is already an availability concern, and Mack is a huge availability concern, and we don't really have an established ED3 on the roster either.... we have been left very exposed @edge rusher.

Jackson is an upgrade, albeit how much better is he over an again, healthy Casey Hayward ?? is Asante going to go twentysomething games ?? ....Callahan ?? Nasir's passing against rating was over 120.... does JT Woods solve that ?? and is Derwin more susceptible to injury the closer to the LOS he gets ??

and personally think the Reeder/Van Noy signings help alleviate a major vulnerability before so @LB, in once counting on Drue and Kenneth.

we have alot of things that need to go right for us.... Tillery/Murray need to get it together, Bosa/Mack need to keep it together as well.... MIke D. needs to get his juju back, and Asante/Callahan need to stay healthy.... ditto for Derwin, and MW.... we're also counting on Spiller.

think the bottom line for me, is that if you're paying your two receivers $40m, they better win some games for you, and.... they went 9-8.

also, last year peoples were calling it a slam dunk on D, given that we were gonna have the both of Bosa and James healthy for the year, of which they relatively were, and.... we got the near bottom of the barrel ranked D outta the deal last year.... what gives ??

and of course it's unpopular, and last year eye had them @11-6, which was the median avg on the forum here, and.... not sure what it is, but just have a funny feelin' that things might not turn out as well as peoples here are hoping for/counting on, as won't be surprised to see the standings reflect the order above.... ??

personal opinion is that Telesco/team Tommy John has left himself/themselves w/too many rabbits to pull outta the proverbial hat, and despite the obvious talent, have left this roster remarkably exposed.... ??
        This part is irrelevant imo.

They did win is some games and others gave us a lead only to have the defense lose it.
        Last game against Oakland for example. MW had a monster game and some huge catches. The defense was awful and when MW ties it up at the end, the defense once again failed us as they got the winning FG.

You did reference the defense not being good and I'll say it again, the offense was NOT the problem last season.
        Don't know why that's so hard to grasp for some.

As or injuries, everybody has that concern. What if Kelce goes down for KC? There is a big target gone for Mahomes.
        For me I think Mack is the biggest worry staying healthy as he is a huge upgrade on the edge in both rushing the passer and against the run.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

This part is irrelevant imo.

They did win is some games and others gave us a lead only to have the defense lose it.
          Last game against Oakland for example. MW had a monster game and some huge catches. The defense was awful and when MW ties it up at the end, the defense once again failed us as they got the winning FG.

You did reference the defense not being good and I'll say it again, the offense was NOT the problem last season.
          Don't know why that's so hard to grasp for some.
          Not true about the last game, LV got the ball first in OT, and our shitty terrible no brain D held them to a FG. Then it was our turn and…

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Not true about the last game, LV got the ball first in OT, and our shitty terrible no brain D held them to a FG. Then it was our turn and…
            You see shoot out ball and we lost. I wonder how the hell we allowed the stinking 'Turds to dominate most of the game with their offense.
            Their best effort vs LAC on Oct 14 was 14 pts. On Jan 9 they were 3 TDs better. Not effing acceptable.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

You see shoot out ball and we lost. I wonder how the hell we allowed the stinking 'Turds to dominate most of the game with their offense.
              Their best effort vs LAC on Oct 14 was 14 pts. On Jan 9 they were 3 TDs better. Not effing acceptable.
              Defense last year was just not good. From basically the bye week on - getting a stop on third down was not the norm.

Getting off the field - that has to improve this year. I want a top 5 defense in that category -

Comment

• Chargerfreak
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2018
                • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                The Bills have been chasing the Chiefs in the AFC during the past few seasons, and they were chasing them in this draft as well, as both teams maneuvered to select cornerbacks late in the first round. Kansas City leaped past Buffalo by trading up eight spots to 21 for cornerback Trent McDuffie. Buffalo then jumped two spots, bypassing Dallas, to take cornerback Kaiir Elam at 23. There would not be another corner selected until 35.
                And none of them are JC Jackson. So maybe they can leap frog that. Let KCrap and Buttalo worry about each other while we slide right by them.

Comment

• Chargerfreak
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Send PM

ok, reading this thread has me going to Our Lads and checking out the AFC West rosters, and.... sorry to say, but just have a funny feeling 'bout this season, and it's not so hot.... ??

LAC

and on D, know most everyone is head over heels for SJD and Johnson, and.... not convinced they are that huge of an upgrade over a healthy Linval and Justin Jones ?? Bosa is already an availability concern, and Mack is a huge availability concern, and we don't really have an established ED3 on the roster either.... we have been left very exposed @edge rusher.

Jackson is an upgrade, albeit how much better is he over an again, healthy Casey Hayward ??
                  Are those real questions ? Linval is about 97 years old and Justin Jones never amounted to crap. SJD's hand is heavier from a SB ring months ago, and Johnson is a very solid DT.

Hayward is only 96, and couldn't sniff JC Jackson's jock. You are talking about the best CB in the AFC.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Defense last year was just not good. From basically the bye week on - getting a stop on third down was not the norm.

Getting off the field - that has to improve this year. I want a top 5 defense in that category -
                    Agreed. The D roster looks a LOT better. Serious talent & depth added. Not much question we'll be better than avg but how much? Single digits, probably. Top 5, definite maybe. We should be.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Who said anything about them running the table? I simply see them as the favorite in the division until proven otherwise. If you disagree, that's fine. I think their WR group is more well rounded than last year. Could JuJu or some of their other guys underperform? Sure, could happen to our signings too. But they have a proven, stable HC/QB tandem and that goes a long way. The Bolts, while having had a nice off-season, are...well, the Bolts, and they now need to show it translate into consistent wins.

For what it's worth, I don't think more than 2 games or so separates first and last in this division. Will be brutal start to finish.
                      Sorry about the mix-up. I thought you were another Chief's fan who had come to start trolling.

Losing Hill is huge - no getting around it:
                      Juju Smith, Sky Moore are not much at this point in their careers: Smith signed for peanuts for a reason, & 11 receivers went before Moore, whose coming from the Mac: don't expect much from him this year. Scantling was their major acquisition this offseason, and he was way overpriced. He's a shadow of Tyreek Hill.

Reid needs players, which he doesn't have on offense. They have Kelce (& of course Mahomes), a very average receiving core (& i'm being charitable) & a decent Oline with holes.
                      Trey Smith & Creed Humphrey were pleasant surprises for them last year; they possibly take a step back this year as Sophomore's often do. Looks like Niang is hurt again (like in college),
                      it will again be Wiley at RT.

Their defense is going to have to step up big time this year, and i just don't see it. Watch the Ohio State game and tell me Karlaftis is ready to live in opponents backfields. Not having Ward and honeybadger at the start of the season will be a big problem....we'll see if they can settle down. Will they get a spark from Ingram again - i doubt it.

The more i think about their draft, the less I like it. Karlaftis and Moore, to me, seem like panicked reaches. and they just seem thin all over the place except at safety.
                      Andy Reid has a shrewd eye for Olineman, and the fact that they didn't grab an OT tells me there weren't any close to being ready to contribute after early in round 1.

I think the Chiefs might fall off the cliff this year. They can't afford any injuries which they've mostly managed to avoid for the last 4 years...they can't continue with that sort of luck.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

KC is a good team. LV should be good. Den had VG defense, got a VG vet QB. We split with all three when we had a lousy defense and R/side OL, no #2 RB. IMO we're the team to beat in the AFCW. Let's get it on!

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

KC

think the only guy that disappoints @receiver for the Chiefs is MVS, as think they have enough otherwise.... they also have a hellah HC & QB. their Oline is somewhere between tough and awesome, save for RT (sound familiar ?).... they still have Kelce 'n Clyde, and as was hoping to get him as a Charger, am of the opinion that Ronald Jones is gonna be a huge plus.... also like JuJu quite a bit.

their defense leaves a little to be desired, w/a decent Dline and some safety talent, plus McDuffie, who will be a plus.... question is, how did we not beat these guys ?? cannot forget that we had them handled in the first half w/Anthony Ray and Herbotron ?? ....good kicker too.

Denver

am a big Russell Wilson fan, and think he's got more than enough to work w/at wideout, and despite a rather big blow @TE w/the loss of Fant, there is Dulcich, who could produce some, and more than anything they will have Javonte Williams year 2.... he's a player/super baller.... their IOL is pretty solid as well.

their defense also leaves a bit to be desired, as they more have some bright spots, as opposed to strong position groups, let alone a cohesive D, and.... that said, we didn't exactly handle them either.

Vegas

on offense, they are a big handful, w/some serious challenges w/their receiver group, @TE, and again @RB, dude is gonna do some damage, and.... have never liked Carr, but he is a bit like the Eveready bunny, and just keeps on ticking.

on D, they have some top end talent on that side of the ball, and they sure look like they could be tough to run on up the middle.

LAC

think we have a huge plus in Herbert, but am not convinced his talents are being optimized, as think Lombardi, and perhaps @the behest of Telesco, did his best to push the MW narrative, and that he is this and that type of receiver, which however is a less efficient offense, and likely leaves/left Keenan a bit frustrated in not getting the ball as often as he'd like/should ?? we are also counting on a step up taken by the both of Palmer and Guyton.... @RB, we all love Austin's powers that be, but no one will be confusing Spiller w/Javonte nor Josh Jacobs, and prolly not Ronald Jones as well.

would also volunteer that if the either of Pips or Storm are on the roster, let alone starting, that we have FO politics interfering w/putting our best players on the field, and on the 53.

not sure that Everett is any big upgrade over Cook, and Parham and McKitty are still ?s.... think the latter could be more productive than expected, but we did not draft any TE talent this last go 'round, which leaves us a bit vulnerable here, @least by my take.

on O, think we need to get Keenan and Ekeler the ball, albeit not sure we have that third big threat.... know you like MW, and when he's on, we're pretty darn good, and when he's not, aren't we closer to so so, as in 9-8 ??

Jackson is an upgrade, albeit how much better is he over an again, healthy Casey Hayward ?? is Asante going to go twentysomething games ?? ....Callahan ?? Nasir's passing against rating was over 120.... does JT Woods solve that ?? and is Derwin more susceptible to injury the closer to the LOS he gets ??

and personally think the Reeder/Van Noy signings help alleviate a major vulnerability before so @LB, in once counting on Drue and Kenneth.

we have alot of things that need to go right for us.... Tillery/Murray need to get it together, Bosa/Mack need to keep it together as well.... MIke D. needs to get his juju back, and Asante/Callahan need to stay healthy.... ditto for Derwin, and MW.... we're also counting on Spiller.

think the bottom line for me, is that if you're paying your two receivers $40m, they better win some games for you, and.... they went 9-8.

also, last year peoples were calling it a slam dunk on D, given that we were gonna have the both of Bosa and James healthy for the year, of which they relatively were, and.... we got the near bottom of the barrel ranked D outta the deal last year.... what gives ??

and of course it's unpopular, and last year eye had them @11-6, which was the median avg on the forum here, and.... not sure what it is, but just have a funny feelin' that things might not turn out as well as peoples here are hoping for/counting on, as won't be surprised to see the standings reflect the order above.... ??

personal opinion is that Telesco/team Tommy John has left himself/themselves w/too many rabbits to pull outta the proverbial hat, and despite the obvious talent, have left this roster remarkably exposed.... ??
                          This is a glass half empty sort of approach beachcomber.

On offense:

Are the Chargers better off on the Oline? yes, and by quite a bit...even if Storm Norton is trotted out there, which won't happen (heaven forbid).
                          Are the Chargers better off at running back? Yes - maybe Spiller isn't Javonte Williams, but he's a clear step up from what they had when J.J. couldn't go.
                          Are they better at qb? Yes, Herbert will only get better having a year under his belt in Lombardi's offense.
                          Are they better at tight end? Yes, I disagree with your assessment that Cook is better than Everett, and the other two will only get better.
                          Keenan allen might start to decline: that's a possibility which would hurt the offense; but Palmer will take a step up from last year.

Tell me where I am wrong?

On defense:

Just not having to trot out Trey Marshall & our least favorite Canadian should be very helpful.
                          If Khalil Mack and DJ both get injured, they'll be no worse than last year.

And Jackson over M Davis as your #1 cb is a substantial upgrade; not certain why you are bringing Casey Hayward into the conversation,
                          who is not a fit for Staley's D.

Comment

Working...
                          X