• Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts&noles View Post

Great points.
    The Lombardi thing is what's super disappointing.
    Could use more speed at WR to match the QB.
    The D was super disappointing also.
    Iam not as worried, I think they will improve but I thought that last year to.
    The Chiefs are still the team to beat until proven otherwise.
    As fans, we keep banking on injury riddled, declining vets to play a whole season.
    We thought Bulaga and Harris would recapture to some degree their old form.
    We thought Linval Joseph would continue to be a good player; we thought Cook would be forever solid.

How many of us would have had high expectations knowing that Storm & Schofield anchored the right side,
    that Michael Davis couldn't adapt to the new defense,
    and that Linval Joseph would start to break down, along with Cook near seasons end?

Other than Mack, whose decline is highly questionable, with whom do we have false expectations.

I can't see it....they are a young team at most spots...and the vets Allen/Mack still have football left in them.

In other eras, Callahan and Kyle Van Noy would have been their top acquisitions in free agency, and they would play too many minutes.

This team is different.
    Last edited by powderblueboy; 05-06-2022, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

You see shoot out ball and we lost. I wonder how the hell we allowed the stinking 'Turds to dominate most of the game with their offense.
      Their best effort vs LAC on Oct 14 was 14 pts. On Jan 9 they were 3 TDs better. Not effing acceptable.
      Shoot out ball happens. Especially against top teams. We have the ball at the end, our top five O needs to come up with the W regardless of the previous 58 minutes.

Its funny, I feel bad using the top five O thing to question if our WR corps is really all that, when the same argument is totally forgotten in the RT/backup RB discussions. We’re top five, we suck, we’re top five, we suck. Back and forth and really it’s the D lol. My concern, which has to be legit in the face of our record/no playoffs the last two years when we did have opportunity in those shoot outs you want to write off, is trotting out the same guys is gonna somehow equate to a different outcome. I can see every game against AFCW opponents being shoot outs, going 3-3 is gonna get us bounced again. I do think our improved D will - hopefully - prevent one or two of those shoot outs from happening. Just wish I had more confidence in the same guys coming through in the end. There’s always hope.

Comment

• Chargerfreak
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2018
        • Send PM

Mike Garafolo on Twitter: "#Raiders team president no longer with the organization for reasons unknown." / Twitter

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Shoot out ball happens. Especially against top teams. We have the ball at the end, our top five O needs to come up with the W regardless of the previous 58 minutes.

Its funny, I feel bad using the top five O thing to question if our WR corps is really all that, when the same argument is totally forgotten in the RT/backup RB discussions. We’re top five, we suck, we’re top five, we suck. Back and forth and really it’s the D lol. My concern, which has to be legit in the face of our record/no playoffs the last two years when we did have opportunity in those shoot outs you want to write off, is trotting out the same guys is gonna somehow equate to a different outcome. I can see every game against AFCW opponents being shoot outs, going 3-3 is gonna get us bounced again. I do think our improved D will - hopefully - prevent one or two of those shoot outs from happening. Just wish I had more confidence in the same guys coming through in the end. There’s always hope.
          I have a ton more confidence in our 2022 D and STs to hold opponent scoring down, force punts, get takeaways and field position. Playing good teams shouldn't mean we have to put up 35+ points every week. Say 28 - 17 gets the job done.
          But yeah, having a Jerry Rice clone in our pocket to score game winning TDs with no time left would be nice.
          Barring that we're just going to have to play quality team ball.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Shoot outs never happen, and only Jerry Rice can help when they do. Got it.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2021
              • Send PM

First, In this present day, Chargers are getting a steal @ 40 million for Keenan Allen & Mike Williams.

Secondly Chargers had a VERY productive first run in free agency that addressed many defensive deficiencies (say that three times fast).

Mack trade was huge. He was key to the whole offseason including FA & the draft.

Then fortified the OL, safety, RB/FB, CB/Returner and IDL in the draft. Not sexy picks, but essential core upgrades. Unlike last years class, all could contribute sooner than latter.

Second wave, the bargain bin, free agents addressed positions of need unable to grab in the draft, Edge and Slot CB.

This may be underrated moves on paper but the real proof will be revealed over the season, instead of fading after the bye week, it should all be coming together.

My only question is, does home field advantage really mean anything @ SoFi Stadium?

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

This game is about matchups...

The only match-up advantage I see the Chiefs having over us is Karlaftis v Pipkins. But you can guarantee that Pipkins will get help from a RB or TE there.
                The match-up we've always lost was Travis Kelce vs. our zone D. Now that we're going more man... DJ will be matched up v. Kelce. That's a big improvement.

Our CB's:
                JC Jackson, ASJ, Michael Davis
                Skyy Moore, Ju-ju, MVS/Hardman
                KC's WR's

I'll take our CB's vs KC's WR's

Our WR's
                Keenan, MikeD, Palmer
                McDuffie, Sneed, Baker/Fenton

I'll take our WR's over their CB's

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                  First, In this present day, Chargers are getting a steal @ 40 million for Keenan Allen & Mike Williams.

Secondly Chargers had a VERY productive first run in free agency that addressed many defensive deficiencies (say that three times fast).

Mack trade was huge. He was key to the whole offseason including FA & the draft.

Then fortified the OL, safety, RB/FB, CB/Returner and IDL in the draft. Not sexy picks, but essential core upgrades. Unlike last years class, all could contribute sooner than latter.

Second wave, the bargain bin, free agents addressed positions of need unable to grab in the draft, Edge and Slot CB.

This may be underrated moves on paper but the real proof will be revealed over the season, instead of fading after the bye week, it should all be coming together.

My only question is, does home field advantage really mean anything @ SoFi Stadium?
                  Sleep at home, eat & train on regular schedule. For sure.
                  With all the Chargers famous players and talent, local ticketholders may actually want to see the Chargers. Maybe.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Yep...Raider ex-prez apparently tried to report a hostile workplace and things got even MORE hostile...wow...only the Raiders would have an issue like this...

Dan Ventrelle is no longer with the team, owner Mark Davis announced Friday, but the former Raiders president said it’s because he tried to act as a whistleblower over the team’s workin...

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

The only match-up advantage I see the Chiefs having over us is Karlaftis v Pipkins. But you can guarantee that Pipkins will get help from a RB or TE there.
                      The match-up we've always lost was Travis Kelce vs. our zone D. Now that we're going more man... DJ will be matched up v. Kelce. That's a big improvement.

Our CB's:
                      KC's WR's

Our WR's
                      Keenan, MikeD, Palmer

Yes, yes, and yes. Can’t wait.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Our CB's:
                        KC's WR's

Our WR's
                        Keenan, MikeD, Palmer

Our RB was our 3rd most productive receiver in 2021.
                        ===rec==yds=tds
                        KA 106 - 1138 - 6
                        MW 76 - 1146 - 9
                        Eke 70 - 647 - 8
                        Palmer 33 - 353 - 4
                        Guyton 31 - 448 - 3
                        COOK- ghost- 48-564- 4
                        Everett - TBD

ps: our D pressure & coverage will keep us in the game with anybodies WRs. Period.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...Raider ex-prez apparently tried to report a hostile workplace and things got even MORE hostile...wow...only the Raiders would have an issue like this...

Dan Ventrelle is no longer with the team, owner Mark Davis announced Friday, but the former Raiders president said it’s because he tried to act as a whistleblower over the team’s workin...

That’s not good at all.

Comment

Working...
                          X