• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • equivocation
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2021
    • Send PM

The Browns insulted Mayfield by implying he's not a grown up. And of course, taking his ball and going home is the perfect way to prove them wrong!

If he wants to be a franchise QB this is his chance to show it. And if he wants to be childish this is his chance to show it. One of those two options gets paid.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

How do you see Watson - Browns screwing up Herbert's extension?
      The fully guaranteed salary part

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The fully guaranteed salary part
        So the Chargers have to give Herbert a fully guaranteed contract of equal or greater value?
        I am not sharp (obviously) re NFL contracts. The numbers are absurd to me. It looks like a video game..

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
          Day One...
          • Mar 2019
          • Brentwood, 94513
          • Send PM

I don’t see teams doing what the Browns did, although it will be pretty close to how Kirk Cousins has been getting paid. When he started to get guaranteed money, it started.

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

I have a feeling that Herbert will not be seeking to be the highest paid. He's smart enough to know that the bigger chunk he takes, the less for position players that are needed to make it to the SB. I think he'll be more like Ton Brady in that regards.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

So the Chargers have to give Herbert a fully guaranteed contract of equal or greater value?
              I am not sharp (obviously) re NFL contracts. The numbers are absurd to me. It looks like a video game..
              That's the point. The idea is that every time a QB comes up to get a new contract, then they will ask for the contract to be fully guaranteed. Once the precedent is established, it makes it hard to not give the same thing, especially for a guy like Herbert, who has few if any negatives. If Chad Henekie (Washington backup) asks for it, you can blow him off pretty easily. But the franchise guys ...

From the team's point of view, it is a perfect example of why you DON'T give contracts that are fully guaranteed. If Cleveland is forced to release Watson, they literally have to leave him sitting and pay him for several seasons until his cap # drops to the point they can cut him, and even then the (salary cap) damage will be epic.

Deshaun Watson's unprecedented contract will create cap issues and a shortage of draft capital, but the Cleveland Browns may survive.

FYI, An interesting bit in the article is that no team has won a SB (recently) if they had a player with over 15% of their salary cap. Interesting trivia given we have a guy who may command more than that when his next contract is due playing QB for us.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                I have a feeling that Herbert will not be seeking to be the highest paid. He's smart enough to know that the bigger chunk he takes, the less for position players that are needed to make it to the SB. I think he'll be more like Ton Brady in that regards.
                The love of money is the root of all evil.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

We need to introduce him to a supermodel

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

That's the point. The idea is that every time a QB comes up to get a new contract, then they will ask for the contract to be fully guaranteed. Once the precedent is established, it makes it hard to not give the same thing, especially for a guy like Herbert, who has few if any negatives. If Chad Henekie (Washington backup) asks for it, you can blow him off pretty easily. But the franchise guys ...

From the team's point of view, it is a perfect example of why you DON'T give contracts that are fully guaranteed. If Cleveland is forced to release Watson, they literally have to leave him sitting and pay him for several seasons until his cap # drops to the point they can cut him, and even then the (salary cap) damage will be epic.

Deshaun Watson's unprecedented contract will create cap issues and a shortage of draft capital, but the Cleveland Browns may survive.

FYI, An interesting bit in the article is that no team has won a SB (recently) if they had a player with over 15% of their salary cap. Interesting trivia given we have a guy who may command more than that when his next contract is due playing QB for us.
                    Go ahead and guarantee Herbie’s next contract. Heck, guarantee the contract after that now and then guarantee a contract for his kid while we’re at it. he’s a sure thing, lock in the next 10, I say.

i am already completely bored with the Browns saga. No fucks given.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Browns did us a favor.
                      Herbert's contract will be ridiculous, but so will every QB after him.
                      And I bet on Herbert over all the others.
                      no one is getting elite qb play at a discount after Brady
                      P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                      P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                      P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                      P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• CivilBolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2019
                        • Send PM

I believe this. He was asked about his loyalty to Nike before and he said he won’t leave even if other company pays him more. Maybe we’ll get a hometown discount :thumbsup:

Comment

• Tges58
                          Registered Chiefs Fan
                          • Mar 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                          I'm not on Redit, but a few people I know on their are telling me the same thing, which is that many, many Browns fans are jumping ship with the Watson debacle as the last straw, and many of them are interested in a adopting another franchise,

Preferably one with a stud at QB wearing the best looking uniforms in all of football.

can't blame them, especially after wearing the color of shit their whole lives. Haha
                          I'm sure we have room for them at Arrowhead.

Comment

Working...
                          X