• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

good point and good option.... but hes not playing for league minimum.... which is what spanos will be looking for.....
    Cooks contract this year is - the part the Chargers would take on is a pro-rated $1.17m
    now next year - it goes up but again, if the chiefs and Saints can work around it - so can the Chargers
    (and quite frankly - next year is next year - you can always work the math)

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Cooks contract this year is - the part the Chargers would take on is a pro-rated $1.17m
      now next year - it goes up but again, if the chiefs and Saints can work around it - so can the Chargers
      Yes one cant help notice that the best teams in the NFL that are always supposed to be in cap hell keep getting it done and keep winning more than Chargers. They seem to figure out the cap.

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Brandin Cooks is a very good WR, a professional. With a week of practice he would be fine.
        And of all the WR choices out there - might be the top option actually. He is just a good solid professional (and I don't see Elijah M from the Jets as an option)
        I second this choice. Familiarity with the system and production being the overriding factors. I am arch-conservative when it comes to trading future draft picks as well, so the cost must be kept low as possible.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Yes one cant help notice that the best teams in the NFL that are always supposed to be in cap hell keep getting it done and keep winning more than Chargers. They seem to figure out the cap.
          Now, I preface this that a couple things
          1) like the Chiefs they got rid of Tyreek HIll for example to take on cheaper players to maximize cap. So you have to draft well and sometimes get rid players
          2) The Saints went overboard - they kept pushing chips in when Brees retired. When he retired they should have sucked it up and quite pushing cap. They cannot even trade anybody they are so leveraged

But you can be smart and have a plan with the cap if you have a spreadsheet with a rolling five year budget - meaning looking ahead to having a 53 man roster, draft picks, practice squad etc.

But I bring up Cooks only with Hughes as I think the combo package would help two positions.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

Now, I preface this that a couple things
            1) like the Chiefs they got rid of Tyreek HIll for example to take on cheaper players to maximize cap. So you have to draft well and sometimes get rid players
            2) The Saints went overboard - they kept pushing chips in when Brees retired. When he retired they should have sucked it up and quite pushing cap. They cannot even trade anybody they are so leveraged

But you can be smart and have a plan with the cap if you have a spreadsheet with a rolling five year budget - meaning looking ahead to having a 53 man roster, draft picks, practice squad etc.

But I bring up Cooks only with Hughes as I think the combo package would help two positions.
            Totally agree.

A little cap creativity is fine but not in on mortgaging the future either. Telesco has been good that way, but he also hasnt won anything in 10 years I guess.

It just seems this year, with the expectations, with 10 games left, this team badly needs some sort of infusion. Like I have said, at least get Herbert some help.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Totally agree.

A little cap creativity is fine but not in on mortgaging the future either. Telesco has been good that way, but he also hasnt won anything in 10 years I guess.

It just seems this year, with the expectations, with 10 games left, this team badly needs some sort of infusion. Like I have said, at least get Herbert some help.
              Thats why a guy like Elijah Moore makes sense as he has two more years on his rookie deal - but he is cheap - so costs more draft capital

Cooks is not bad this year but next year that figure goes up and it does affect your cap - they can figure it out - but its a more win this year move. But if they do it for Cook - I wouldn't be opposed as you can always finagle the cap next spring

Comment

• Riverwalk
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

Totally agree.

It will either be criminal or incompetent if they don’t trade for a quality WR right now. Take your pick.

if they don’t they are throwing away the season and settling for an offense that will check down to Ekeler on pass plays.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Cooks has more than $20 million left from his signing bonus that is going to impact anything happening.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Windsor, U.K.
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

It will either be criminal or incompetent if they don’t trade for a quality WR right now. Take your pick.

if they don’t they are throwing away the season and settling for an offense that will check down to Ekeler on pass plays.
                    One word that sums up our management.
                    Sure, they make a lot of moves( in the off season- almost never in season) but none of those have equated to much, certainly not deep playoff runs.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Cooks has more than $20 million left from his signing bonus that is going to impact anything happening.
                      Thats the Texans problem to worry about though - not the Chargers. They would take a pretty hefty dead cap hit so that might preclude the Texans from trading him

Of the two players from the Texans I have mentioned, he or Hughes - Hughes seems more gettable for that reason - smaller cap hit to trade him

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

for EDGE Robert Quinn is being shopped

Comes with 18 mil cap hit for 2023 though

There is definately activity prior to deadline.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

for EDGE Robert Quinn is being shopped

Comes with 18 mil cap hit for 2023 though

There is definately activity prior to deadline.
                          Mack was Quinn’s teammate. He would know if it’s worthwhile to get him.

Comment

Working...
                          X