• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Nice! Yeah, we blended with the Clairemont crowd pretty seamlessly once we were all to driving age. I played in local bands with guys from Clairemont. We used to go up to Palomar once in awhile, more than Julian. Julian was a cool tiny town then. Ramona had one stop light. I used to backpack a lot with friends when we were teens - we’d go up to San Gorgonio or Jacinto for short trips, Sierras if we could go longer . Real mountains . Loved those trips, no adults - especially in the snow when there’s nobody out there. I couldn’t carry a backpack for a day now, lol.

I didnt go to an Aztec game last year, I want to get to one or two next year. I heard the first couple games were just brutal - 100 degrees and Snap crew never installed the shade covers they have braces just sitting there waiting to add them on to. People were hiding under the overhangs
    Julian used to be a 1-season kind of town in the 70's. The Banjo & Fiddle contest kicked off in early Autumn and led into "Apple Days". By late November, the streets were empty again. The occasinal snow would bring people up again. Now, the town is jam-packed every weekend.

I loved backpacking the Sierras! Bishop Pass was a favorite of mine. I've done most of the John Muir Trail. But I haven't been backpacking in 8 years now. Getting older and slowing down. I still do hikes in Julian... but it's mostly the beach now. I'm heading down to San Felipe to camp on the beach in a few days.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Julian used to be a 1-season kind of town in the 70's. The Banjo & Fiddle contest kicked off in early Autumn and led into "Apple Days". By late November, the streets were empty again. The occasinal snow would bring people up again. Now, the town is jam-packed every weekend.

I loved backpacking the Sierras! Bishop Pass was a favorite of mine. I've done most of the John Muir Trail. But I haven't been backpacking in 8 years now. Getting older and slowing down. I still do hikes in Julian... but it's mostly the beach now. I'm heading down to San Felipe to camp on the beach in a few days.
      Nice, We did Bishop Pass one trip, 100 lakes basin (or something like that), Upper/Lower Monarch Lakes, (something) dragon peaks, … I can’t remember them all. Just randomly pick a different place each trip. Climbed Mount Whitney one time just to say we did but that hike was pretty boring like a road and way too crowded,

I’ve been there during Apple days maybe 3 or 4 times. It’s a cool fun not-San Diego thing to do for those following along. I like Julian and the vibe they have going, I have a pic of my daughter in front of the wooden bear statue from one of her Indian princess camp trips - vehicle camping is my speed now but i’ve raised a family attuned to the resort life unfortunately lol. Good times!

A sax player in one of my bands has what he calls an “estate” just outside/south of San Felipe. Not sure what that cat does, think he’s a secret agent smuggler or something as he’s always just sliding around but doing great and livin the life. he’s got something figured out, thats for sure lol. I’ve still never been there, always done the pacific side of baja. We used to camp on the beach at diff spots between Rosario and Ensenada a lot - 3 wheeling and surfing and going in to town at night to party - man the days eh?

alright - I really need to get back to Smokey, I’m worried he may become skeptical again if left alone …
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

alright - I really need to get back to Smokey, I’m worried he may become skeptical again if left alone …
        dmac_stalker, at my service! LOL!

P.S. I'm 70 and can still do 15-mile hikes with a backpack. Sounds like you need a personal trainer.

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

P.S. I'm 70 and can still do 15-mile hikes with a backpack. Sounds like you need a personal trainer.
          When I was 70, I bowled 3 times a week, went hiking on the weekends and jogged. Now, I'm 87 and can't walk anywhere without some form of support (walker/cane). - Be warned.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Once again your compassion shines like a beacon thru the fog. Actually I have degenerative disk compounded by a bulge (~6mm) at L5/S1, i do work out but I guess I should exercise my spinal disks … oh, wait, thats not possible. The bulge flares periodically and impinges on my spinal column, then I need epidural injections to reduce the swelling back to a point it’s not impairing skeletal nerve function. It’s only been needed every 3-5 years (7 yrs once) and it still works, so I feel blessed. I once worked at a spinal device company and saw patients who ran out of options and had to have fusion procedures. I’ve lived with it for about 20 yrs now since my 40s and with luck I’ll go another 20 without needing surgery. My father had it most of his adult life, my brother has it and suffers incredibly. Again, I feel blessed. But backpacking would be a uniquely bad idea, trainer or not.

Such a sweetheart, I see the hope that you’re still blind to. We’ll find it

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Impressive

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Once again your compassion shines like a beacon thru the fog. Actually I have degenerative disk compounded by a bulge (~6mm) at L5/S1, i do work out but I guess I should exercise my spinal disks … oh, wait, thats not possible. The bulge flares periodically and impinges on my spinal column, then I need epidural injections to reduce the swelling back to a point it’s not impairing skeletal nerve function. It’s only been needed every 3-5 years (7 yrs once) and it still works, so I feel blessed. I once worked at a spinal device company and saw patients who ran out of options and had to have fusion procedures. I’ve lived with it for about 20 yrs now since my 40s and with luck I’ll go another 20 without needing surgery. My father had it most of his adult life, my brother has it and suffers incredibly. Again, I feel blessed. But backpacking would be a uniquely bad idea, trainer or not.

Sorry to hear that. Hurts just reading it.

Comment

• SBbound
                  Casual fanatic
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Merced/San Diego
                  • Send PM

I had all of my L vertebrae fused in 2016. Best decision ever. I didn't know how much pain I was in until it wasn't there.

Comment

• captaind
                    Cook This Pork Chops
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Mars
                    • Ball Holder
                    • Send PM

I still remember when you climbed Kilimanjaro

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post

I still remember when you climbed Kilimanjaro
                      I climbed Whitney many times. Man, she was wild!

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Nice, We did Bishop Pass one trip, 100 lakes basin (or something like that), Upper/Lower Monarch Lakes, (something) dragon peaks, … I can’t remember them all. Just randomly pick a different place each trip. Climbed Mount Whitney one time just to say we did but that hike was pretty boring like a road and way too crowded,

I’ve been there during Apple days maybe 3 or 4 times. It’s a cool fun not-San Diego thing to do for those following along. I like Julian and the vibe they have going, I have a pic of my daughter in front of the wooden bear statue from one of her Indian princess camp trips - vehicle camping is my speed now but i’ve raised a family attuned to the resort life unfortunately lol. Good times!

A sax player in one of my bands has what he calls an “estate” just outside/south of San Felipe. Not sure what that cat does, think he’s a secret agent smuggler or something as he’s always just sliding around but doing great and livin the life. he’s got something figured out, thats for sure lol. I’ve still never been there, always done the pacific side of baja. We used to camp on the beach at diff spots between Rosario and Ensenada a lot - 3 wheeling and surfing and going in to town at night to party - man the days eh?

Hey, Dmac, did u ever eat out at La Fonda restaurant/bar/motel, at La Mision? My father in law used to play the piano there...

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Duke's Fun Camp?

Comment

Working...
                          X