Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Craig440 View Post

I was at every game in 75. LOOOOOOOOOOU it was as I recall.
    Yup - every stop Loui made was followed by LOOOOOOOOOOI !!
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
      Derius Davis ran a 4.36 at the combine. 4th leading punt returner in college football last year (14.9 yp) Most mocks have him into the 7th round.
      Electric with the ball in his handsCareer Stats: 91 Rec, 1206 Yds, 7 TD, 181 Rush Yds 2 Rush TD, 4 Punt Return TD, 1 Kickoff Return TD
      He's small but he sure can run. Could be the next Devin Hester.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Derius Davis ran a 4.36 at the combine. 4th leading punt returner in college football last year (14.9 yp) Most mocks have him into the 7th round.
        Electric with the ball in his handsCareer Stats: 91 Rec, 1206 Yds, 7 TD, 181 Rush Yds 2 Rush TD, 4 Punt Return TD, 1 Kickoff Return TD
        Draft him TT!

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I'd like to hear more if you get a chance to post the story.
          My early childhood (until I was 6) was spent in Santa Barbara. The Rams were televised every Sunday. They were very good at the time. Great defense! Jack Youngblood, Fred Dryer, Merlin Olsen, and Hacksaw Reynolds. I was already an avid football fan. I hated the Vikings and Cowboys!

In 1971, my family moved to Julian. The Chargers were bad at the time. We still watched the Rams every Sunday. We had to climb up on the roof and adjust the TV antenna to get the Rams games. Then in 1975, my dad surprised my brother and I with Rams tickets. We drove down the hill to the Murph to watch our favorite team... the Rams.

It was a slug-fest that day... even though the Chargers finished 2-12 that year. They had these rookies along the D-line... Louie Kelcher, Fred Dean, and Big-Hands Johnson. The Rams finally prevailed in OT... I think the score was 10-13. The Chargers fans were amazing that day. Kelcher had a great game and every time he made a stop the Chargers fans would boo. As many posters pointed out... they were yelling "Loooooooo-ie!". I loved the atmosphere and you could see that the Chargers were on the verge of being a good team.

Anyone that says the San Diego Chargers fan base is fair-weather is full of shit! They should have been there that day. Every fan that we talked to that day was very knowledgeable about their team... and I actually learned a bit about some of the previous players/coaches... Alworth and Gilman. I was impressed with the young players and impressed with the fans. I still remember the excitement of the fans... even though the Chargers lost. I decided that my heart had room in it for another team... the Chargers.

I still followed the Rams for several more years. But by 1978, Air-Coryell was taking off and the Chargers were the team we climbed up on the roof for...

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Bandy already signed with an XFL team
            that was easy button.jpg

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

My early childhood (until I was 6) was spent in Santa Barbara. The Rams were televised every Sunday. They were very good at the time. Great defense! Jack Youngblood, Fred Dryer, Merlin Olsen, and Hacksaw Reynolds. I was already an avid football fan. I hated the Vikings and Cowboys!

In 1971, my family moved to Julian. The Chargers were bad at the time. We still watched the Rams every Sunday. We had to climb up on the roof and adjust the TV antenna to get the Rams games. Then in 1975, my dad surprised my brother and I with Rams tickets. We drove down the hill to the Murph to watch our favorite team... the Rams.

It was a slug-fest that day... even though the Chargers finished 2-12 that year. They had these rookies along the D-line... Louie Kelcher, Fred Dean, and Big-Hands Johnson. The Rams finally prevailed in OT... I think the score was 10-13. The Chargers fans were amazing that day. Kelcher had a great game and every time he made a stop the Chargers fans would boo. As many posters pointed out... they were yelling "Loooooooo-ie!". I loved the atmosphere and you could see that the Chargers were on the verge of being a good team.

Anyone that says the San Diego Chargers fan base is fair-weather is full of shit! They should have been there that day. Every fan that we talked to that day was very knowledgeable about their team... and I actually learned a bit about some of the previous players/coaches... Alworth and Gilman. I was impressed with the young players and impressed with the fans. I still remember the excitement of the fans... even though the Chargers lost. I decided that my heart had room in it for another team... the Chargers.

I still followed the Rams for several more years. But by 1978, Air-Coryell was taking off and the Chargers were the team we climbed up on the roof for...
              Santa Barbara was magical back in those days. Still a very nice place but not the little town it once was. Julian was considered in a different State than San Diego back then - some faraway land that had great bread and pies. Even Ramona was considered a different county.

I was a Charger fan thru the bad 70s, as I’m a SD kid. But turned 18 right when AC was taking flight - my first season tickets in ‘80, my first experience with the electric bolts. crap tickets top deck end zone corner - the Murph used to literally shake the top levels. It almost felt unsafe yet no one cared, we just shook it harder. The horrid neon yellow Charger Power Tshirts everywhere, disco supercharger song blaring … those were the best years of my life and not just because of the Chargers - San Diego was magical in the 70s/early 80s too before it became a transplant town. Back then the only notable transplants were navy and they were awesome dudes, they loved to embrace SD and all it had.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Santa Barbara was magical back in those days. Still a very nice place but not the little town it once was. Julian was considered in a different State than San Diego back then - some faraway land that had great bread and pies. Even Ramona was considered a different county.

I was a Charger fan thru the bad 70s, as I’m a SD kid. But turned 18 right when AC was taking flight - my first season tickets in ‘80, my first experience with the electric bolts. crap tickets top deck end zone corner - the Murph used to literally shake the top levels. It almost felt unsafe yet no one cared, we just shook it harder. The horrid neon yellow Charger Power Tshirts everywhere, disco supercharger song blaring … those were the best years of my life and not just because of the Chargers - San Diego was magical in the 70s/early 80s too before it became a transplant town. Back then the only notable transplants were navy and they were awesome dudes, they loved to embrace SD and all it had.
                Yeah, Santa Barbara (along with California towns) grew fast. I still go up there often as my oldest daughter lives there now. She loves it... and lives a couple blocks off State Street. I love visiting... and it still has that small-town vibe.

Julian was a boy's dream to grow up in! Forests, ponds, and lots of open space. The seasons were unique to the SD area. Even got to enjoy the snow several times a year. I ate a few apple pies back in the day! I still go up often for Mom's pies and Dudley's bread. It felt like growing up in the Appalachians more than southern California. Of course the beach was only an hour's drive away... and the desert was even closer!

The AC years were amazing! The Murph would rock every Sunday. While I never had season tickets, I would always go to 1 or 2 games a year... if you could get tickets. Ed White lived in Julian at the time... and my dad was friends with him. Ed would get us tickets if we were desperate to see a game and couldn't get them ourselves. We were witnesses to the evolution of football. I had a signed poster of JJ hanging in my room. Those Chargers Power T-Shirts were classic! The AC years seem to bring the community together and make it seem smaller... even as the out-of-state invasion began.

What part of SD did you grow up in...?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Yeah, Santa Barbara (along with California towns) grew fast. I still go up there often as my oldest daughter lives there now. She loves it... and lives a couple blocks off State Street. I love visiting... and it still has that small-town vibe.

Julian was a boy's dream to grow up in! Forests, ponds, and lots of open space. The seasons were unique to the SD area. Even got to enjoy the snow several times a year. I ate a few apple pies back in the day! I still go up often for Mom's pies and Dudley's bread. It felt like growing up in the Appalachians more than southern California. Of course the beach was only an hour's drive away... and the desert was even closer!

The AC years were amazing! The Murph would rock every Sunday. While I never had season tickets, I would always go to 1 or 2 games a year... if you could get tickets. Ed White lived in Julian at the time... and my dad was friends with him. Ed would get us tickets if we were desperate to see a game and couldn't get them ourselves. We were witnesses to the evolution of football. I had a signed poster of JJ hanging in my room. Those Chargers Power T-Shirts were classic! The AC years seem to bring the community together and make it seem smaller... even as the out-of-state invasion began.

What part of SD did you grow up in...?
                  I’ve been up in SB a handful of times in the last 2 yrs - it is still a fabulous place, agree! I grew up in Serra Mesa/Mission Village. Friends lived on the edge of the canyon staring down at the stadium - awesome for the KGB sky show keggers back when that was the top station and they were a real citywide event and not just an Aztec game tag-on. Welcome Back My Friends … (if you know, you know)

When i was a little kid my parents had Aztec season tickets during the Coryell era. I rememrber going to a couple games right after SD Stadium opened, this team would be the crap out of the UOP’s of the west with guys like Dennis Shaw and Brian Sipe throwing it all over the yard. The “big game” every year was Iowa State, who were a lousy team but a big league conference.

I now live in North County with all of the optimists.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

I’ve been up in SB a handful of times in the last 2 yrs - it is still a fabulous place, agree! I grew up in Serra Mesa/Mission Village. Friends lived on the edge of the canyon staring down at the stadium - awesome for the KGB sky show keggers back when that was the top station and they were a real citywide event and not just an Aztec game tag-on. Welcome Back My Friends … (if you know, you know)

When i was a little kid my parents had Aztec season tickets during the Coryell era. I rememrber going to a couple games right after SD Stadium opened, this team would be the crap out of the UOP’s of the west with guys like Dennis Shaw and Brian Sipe throwing it all over the yard. The “big game” every year was Iowa State, who were a lousy team but a big league conference.

I now live in North County with all of the optimists.
                    Nice! My first concert was a KGB Sky Show. I think it was Loverboy, Jimmy Buffet, and Heart.
                    I went to another one in 1983. Motley Crue, Eddie Money, and Def Leppard.
                    Those were the days!

I had friends in Serra Mesa and Clairemont. The canyons gave you guys a taste of the country. The North County was mostly sweeping grasslands. The county has grown so much since then. Have you been to a game @Snap Dragon, yet?

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Well put. It did feel amazing growing up in SD in those days but I had nothing to compare it to. Maybe it was just the times and everybody felt that way about where they grew up.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Nice! My first concert was a KGB Sky Show. I think it was Loverboy, Jimmy Buffet, and Heart.
                        I went to another one in 1983. Motley Crue, Eddie Money, and Def Leppard.
                        Those were the days!

I had friends in Serra Mesa and Clairemont. The canyons gave you guys a taste of the country. The North County was mostly sweeping grasslands. The county has grown so much since then. Have you been to a game @Snap Dragon, yet?
                        Nice! Yeah, we blended with the Clairemont crowd pretty seamlessly once we were all to driving age. I played in local bands with guys from Clairemont. We used to go up to Palomar once in awhile, more than Julian. Julian was a cool tiny town then. Ramona had one stop light. I used to backpack a lot with friends when we were teens - we’d go up to San Gorgonio or Jacinto for short trips, Sierras if we could go longer . Real mountains . Loved those trips, no adults - especially in the snow when there’s nobody out there. I couldn’t carry a backpack for a day now, lol.

I didnt go to an Aztec game last year, I want to get to one or two next year. I heard the first couple games were just brutal - 100 degrees and Snap crew never installed the shade covers they have braces just sitting there waiting to add them on to. People were hiding under the overhangs

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Love hearing these old SD stories
                          I get some from my parents and my in-laws.

Pretty special to bump into these original San Diegans.
                          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

Working...
                          X