• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

To put this in perspective...we have three decent playmakers on our team who were not even drafted! Eke, Parham, and Guyton... Mike is just another quality cog in our playmaking machine that gives us options. I see having a solid depth at oline more important than one good receiver. Is it me?

:coffee:
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
      To put this in perspective...we have three decent playmakers on our team who were not even drafted! Eke, Parham, and Guyton... Mike is just another quality cog in our playmaking machine that gives us options. I see having a solid depth at oline more important than one good receiver. Is it me?

I think people spend way too much time analyzing where players were picked, if the players were worthy of where they were picked and who we could have picked instead. It is irrelevant how we got the players (high draft pick, low draft pick, UDFA or FA from another team). The only important thing is how they are performing on the roster.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

I would generally agree with you on this, Gzubie...harder to find a good O-lineman than a good wideout...

Comment

• Boltgang74
          We Are The Storm!
          • Aug 2018
          • Send PM

How many ufda o linemen worth a crap?

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

Where did you get the idea that signing him would keep them from signing someone for the OL? I do agree the OL is very important but I haven't read anything to make me think we couldn't sign another OL if we sign Williams.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Where did you get the idea that signing him would keep them from signing someone for the OL? I do agree the OL is very important but I haven't read anything to make me think we couldn't sign another OL if we sign Williams.
              Depends on how much $$$ Mike Will wants...if he asks for megabank bucks, we may have to let him go...but we should make him a fair offer, and if he gets a better deal somewhere else, so be it...

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Maybe late news but Baker Mayfield among the Browns in the Covid protocol.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  I don't think he is worth anywhere near $17 mill per season. Do you think his production is going to jump up to be similar to the other players on the attached list will be in the near future? There are a lot of players who are a lot more productive than Williams on the south side of $17 mill per season (the graphic below is sorted by average per year).

This is the kind of thing the franchise tag was invented for. Let him play another season and see if he can put together the kind of improvement in his consistency that is expected out of a big-money WR. This season was kind of a wait-and-see thing because he wasn't worth what he got paid this season. His overall ability is there, but he needs to stop disappearing for such long stretches. Some of that is due to injury, but that is not comforting because he has been dinged up most of his career. I'm not against signing him to a reasonable contract, but something more in line with his production.

Frankly, given the production of other "X's" in the NO style of O, I am a little disappointed in his production this season. It has been better than it has been but is still somewhat lacking in terms of an overall route tree. He flashed some of that early in the year, but it is just still not quite there. I would like to see him do a bit more on the shorter routes in the tree. Turning shorter routes into something. He just doesn't have as many short catches as I would like to see, because with his size and run after the catch, you have to think he can make things happen at the bottom of the tree, and he just doesn't. Even just like the catch he had vs the Giants, where in the 1st quarter he took a shorter gain and dragged a couple of DB for an extra 5 yards.
                  Excellent analysis, Steve. Let's triple Mike Will's salary for a year and see how he handles it. Perfect.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Depends on how much $$$ Mike Will wants...if he asks for megabank bucks, we may have to let him go...but we should make him a fair offer, and if he gets a better deal somewhere else, so be it...
                    That's the only ingredient missing to this endless mobius strip conversation: What does Mike Will want?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      I don't think he is worth anywhere near $17 mill per season. Do you think his production is going to jump up to be similar to the other players on the attached list will be in the near future? There are a lot of players who are a lot more productive than Williams on the south side of $17 mill per season (the graphic below is sorted by average per year).

This is the kind of thing the franchise tag was invented for. Let him play another season and see if he can put together the kind of improvement in his consistency that is expected out of a big-money WR. This season was kind of a wait-and-see thing because he wasn't worth what he got paid this season. His overall ability is there, but he needs to stop disappearing for such long stretches. Some of that is due to injury, but that is not comforting because he has been dinged up most of his career. I'm not against signing him to a reasonable contract, but something more in line with his production.

Frankly, given the production of other "X's" in the NO style of O, I am a little disappointed in his production this season. It has been better than it has been but is still somewhat lacking in terms of an overall route tree. He flashed some of that early in the year, but it is just still not quite there. I would like to see him do a bit more on the shorter routes in the tree. Turning shorter routes into something. He just doesn't have as many short catches as I would like to see, because with his size and run after the catch, you have to think he can make things happen at the bottom of the tree, and he just doesn't. Even just like the catch he had vs the Giants, where in the 1st quarter he took a shorter gain and dragged a couple of DB for an extra 5 yards.

WR avg per year 12_15_21.png
                      I'd argue that this is the first season here that he is penciled in too be more targeted than before when we just threw go routes and he had to out jump CBs and he has responded.
                      He is on par with Mike Evans this year and others making around the same money , including Tyreek Hill and Lockett, better than Robinson and Julio.....who is hurt once again.

Courtland Sutton just signed a big contract and has done little imo and doing next to nothing this year. I know because he sucks on my FF team.

MW has career high in receptions this season with 61, will have a career high in yards as he is at 915 now,... all due to him being used more than before.

He doesn't need a 1-year prove it deal, we know he can do it, they know he can do it and why they excercized his 15.7 mil option. Opportunity is all he needed and he was the guy they said would be a lot more involved.

Who on that list making 16-17 million a year is clearly out playing him right now besides Kupp and maybe Godwin?
                      Kupp is clearly their go to guy.

MW will get 15 -17 mil. Whether we want to offer him that, we'll see but I tell ya we aren't going to offer Adams 25 mil. MW isn't Adams I agree but we are talking about 8 to10 million more a YEAR for him.
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-15-2021, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

The Rams just put three more players on the COVID list, for a total of 16 between their regular roster and the practice squad. Los Angeles in particular is getting hit hard with the wave of COVID, and although it sucks to have Slater on the list, it could actually be worse.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Something seems wrong in that chart of WR contracts. Mike Williams is making what $15-17M this season? On a total contract that is listed in the chart as $19M or so? Is it old data or something, maybe prior to the 5th year options, etc? Other wise we got the first 4 years for $2M!!!

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X