• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Sb4Rivers View Post
    how Bad will chargers look if Bosa does not want to do long team deal.. chargers will have no leverage because Bosa can choose not to sign FT. Then the charger will have to take the best offer on the table. Which will not be great.

For TT to keep his job he has to get this one right or the future of how player deal with contract in charger land will alway go bad

This should also go for Rivers, butI think they have made it worse.
    TT at this point is kind of on the hot seat. If he doesn't sign the right players this off-season, he is probably gone in 2021. When AJ Smith was also in the hot seat in a similar situation before his last season in 2012, he kind of panicked and splurged on FA's:

image.png

1. Meachem - COSTLY BUST
    2. Johnson - good pickup, but only lasted about 3 seasons
    3. Royal - okay, but not all that great
    4. McClain - underwhelming
    5. Whitehurst and the rest...meh...
    But, probably AJ's most colossal blunder was his costly signing of Lazy Gaither, despite all kinds of red flags:

image.png

The San Diego Chargers on Wednesday released left tackle Jared Gaither, who had an injury-plagued 2012 season after being expected to shore up a shaky offensive line.

So, we'll see if TT pulls another AJ on mostly high-priced, but underperforming vets, or will he choose wisely...

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

This thread reminds of that Marvin Gaye song, "I heard it through the grapevine." It goes from a chopped up up Marty video who hates the Chargers to Bosa (according to some) hates the Chargers as well and is not signing no matter what. Crazy, lets just see how it pans out before the posters here read too much more into it and tell us that all players hate the Chargers and zero players will report next year and we wont be able to field a team in the new stadium.

Comment

• El_Tee
        I’m No Noob
        • Sep 2019
        • Disney World, FL
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Sb4Rivers View Post
        I don’t think chargers have a chance at retaining Bosa long term. I do think chargers are slow to negotiation with Bosa due to holdout talk. They probably want to see if He pulls a Gordon before they show their cards.

That said, Chargers have never been a team to pay top dollar for a a marquee player.
        We made LT and Gates highest paid at their position and Rivers highest paid QB w/o a ring.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post
          This thread reminds of that Marvin Gaye song, "I heard it through the grapevine." It goes from a chopped up up Marty video who hates the Chargers to Bosa (according to some) hates the Chargers as well and is not signing no matter what. Crazy, lets just see how it pans out before the posters here read too much more into it and tell us that all players hate the Chargers and zero players will report next year and we wont be able to field a team in the new stadium.
          Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

TT at this point is kind of on the hot seat. If he doesn't sign the right players this off-season, he is probably gone in 2021. When AJ Smith was also in the hot seat in a similar situation before his last season in 2012, he kind of panicked and splurged on FA's:

image.png
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_S...hargers_season

1. Meachem - COSTLY BUST
            2. Johnson - good pickup, but only lasted about 3 seasons
            3. Royal - okay, but not all that great
            4. McClain - underwhelming
            5. Whitehurst and the rest...meh...
            But, probably AJ's most colossal blunder was his costly signing of Lazy Gaither, despite all kinds of red flags:

image.png

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ake-6m-cap-hit

So, we'll see if TT pulls another AJ on mostly high-priced, but underperforming vets, or will he choose wisely...
            The Big Lazy, like Dunlap* and even Danario Alexander were emergency stop-gaps when we got them; they filled-in when needed. The problem was not letting them walk afterward.
            AJ never learned to quit driving past the Tire Shop on his spare
            Last edited by Gwynning_Spirit; 01-20-2020, 10:47 AM. Reason: *Oops!!!! Dunlap was TT's.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I don't know that paying more than $13 million a year is worth it for Keenan Allen. I'd rather pay Joey Bosa what he's due and let some other players walk. I think some of these skill positions can be replaced. Crap I'd rather pay ekler $8 million and let allen walk if he wants $17 million.
              I agree with you. The problem is that once some idiot GM gives out that kind of contract, that's the market. Since we can't let KA walk until after 2020, if he's unhappy and pulls a Gordon, we have no WR for 10 games. TT either has to extend him with that kind of money before TC, or start shopping him by the draft so this doesn't turn into another Gordon situation.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I don't know that paying more than $13 million a year is worth it for Keenan Allen. I'd rather pay Joey Bosa what he's due and let some other players walk. I think some of these skill positions can be replaced. Crap I'd rather pay ekler $8 million and let allen walk if he wants $17 million.
                Allen is a top 5 receiver in the league both in catches and yards over the past 3 seasons. If we let him walk that leaves a gigantic hole as we only have 2 receivers worth keeping on the roster and he is one of them.

Comment

• foreigner
                  Tom Telesco is gone
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Gwynning_Spirit View Post

The Big Lazy, like Dunlap and even Danario Alexander were emergency stop-gaps when we got them; they filled-in when needed. The problem was not letting them walk afterward.
                  Danario Alexander.... I could barely remember him... and now I'm even surprised that currently he is only 31 years old....

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Gwynning_Spirit View Post

The Big Lazy, like Dunlap* and even Danario Alexander were emergency stop-gaps when we got them; they filled-in when needed. The problem was not letting them walk afterward.
                    Danario was injured a lot before we signed him to a team-friendly 1 year, $1.3 mil deal. We managed to get in one decent season out of him before he got hurt again. So not much lost there.

At least with Dunlap, the Bolts got about 4 solid years from him, before concussions and some domestic disturbance issues caused them to release him.

Now, in the case of Big Lazy...THAT'S the one that AJ Smith totally messed up on...there were warning signs that Gaither was a slacker, but AJ ignored these. After Gaither played very well at LT the final 5 games of 2011, AJ extended Big Lazy's contract to 4 years, $24,500,000 contract with the San Diego Chargers, including a $8,000,000 signing bonus, $13,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $6,125,000. Gaither played only 4 more games the next season before claiming he was injured and couldn't play...

...let's hope TT doesn't gamble big $$$ on a vet who turns out to be either a slacker, or woefully underperforming...

Comment

• El_Tee
                      I’m No Noob
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Disney World, FL
                      • Send PM

I don’t even think we need to go absolutely dumb money crazy in FA. I’ll take a couple of value FA upgrades to our OL. We don’t need to have unrealistic expectations or invest in big gamble goofs that will kill us if they bomb.

Our biggest issue I see is a center and left tackle that may return to pro bowl level, or they may have to IR/retire come training camp.

Two huge question marks for our best players on an already mess of a line.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                        We Are The Storm!
                        • Aug 2018
                        • Send PM

We need real guards too.And a NT.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Danario was injured a lot before we signed him to a team-friendly 1 year, $1.3 mil deal. We managed to get in one decent season out of him before he got hurt again. So not much lost there.

At least with Dunlap, the Bolts got about 4 solid years from him, before concussions and some domestic disturbance issues caused them to release him.

Now, in the case of Big Lazy...THAT'S the one that AJ Smith totally messed up on...there were warning signs that Gaither was a slacker, but AJ ignored these. After Gaither played very well at LT the final 5 games of 2011, AJ extended Big Lazy's contract to 4 years, $24,500,000 contract with the San Diego Chargers, including a $8,000,000 signing bonus, $13,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $6,125,000. Gaither played only 4 more games the next season before claiming he was injured and couldn't play...

...let's hope TT doesn't gamble big $$$ on a vet who turns out to be either a slacker, or woefully underperforming...

I'm not expecting TT to make a big spash in FA, not even from another T.Davis-esque belly flop. I just wonder how many of our own he'll manage to keep.

My problem with the signings of guys like Danario and Bob Sanders, wasn't the money. It was that the team would be like oh yeah, he won the starting job in preseason... and then when they're counting on him, he immediately gets injured and we're left scrambling, and with a hole in the roster. Who could've guessed D.Alexander or Bob Sanders would get injured?

Yeah, I remember the Meachem debacle. :dead:

Comment

Working...
                          X