Rivers Family Packed Up And Left California.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltgang74
    We Are The Storm!
    • Aug 2018
    • Send PM

Sounds like what we really need is a new damn GM and scouting team.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargingBolts View Post

If the Chargers never moved (or even if they moved as far north as Irvine I think he would of stayed. I still am 50/50 if he is just sick of the commute and 16 road games or if the Chargers are done with him.
      Chargers were done with him. There hadn't been any negotiation with his agent on a new contract since the end of the 2018 season. The Charger organization gave no indication there would be any future talks. No doubt, Rivers and his agent broached the topic multiple times. Enough was enough.

The Charger organization, for their own vague reasons will not acknowledge anything. Perhaps, they plan to make a splash in free agency and do not want others to know they suddenly have money freed up.

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
        Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
        • Jun 2013
        • Palm Springs
        • I know nothing
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        LB corp outside of the OTTO position

Do you think that any of the current young line backers have potential?

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

I like Nwosu and Egbule best. They can both play OTTO and LEO. Egbule may also be able to line up at some of the other LB spots. They can set the edge and rush the QB. Neither is that good in pass coverage, but we really don't play them in coverage situations, as both are run down players as LB, who come off the field or put their hands on the ground to rush the QB.

Tranquill showed flashes, but really didn't show much consistency. He isn't that fast, but he has decent instincts. He is the one LB I think may be a keeper but the jury is still out on the guy.

White had his moments, but was also completely lost at times. One hopes he gets his head screwed on.

Ideally, I think we probably want Tranquil starting at Mike, and White starting at Will, with Nwosu at OTTO. Tranquill was much more of an every down LB than White has been, who plays mostly on early downs. Given his speed, you would think White would be the coverage guy, and PFF gave him a better grade, but he is just not on the feild as it becomes more obviously a passing down.

Brown never adjusted to Bradley D, and I can't see us resigning him. He needs to be in a blitzing D, where he can spend some time in man to man coverage, and be a jack of all trades type. His tackling makes it tough to even think he is a decent ST guy.

The only thing Davis does well anymore is attack the line on run and pass blitzes. Which is problematic, since Gus really doesn't like to blitz. His coverage is becoming a problem, and while his run D is OK, it looks like he is nearing the end of the line. I think he had as much problem adjusting to the new D, and the players around him, but at his age it is hard to tell. I would try and get him to retire if I was the Chargers, or cut him. In hindsight, his signing was a mistake because it just confused the rotation. I would rather see us play the younger guys and see who could do what. Once he clears waivers sign him to a coaching contract, which is what we should have done last year.

Perryman costs a lot of money for a LB who is weak in coverage and hurt a ton.

Malik Jefferson is the kind of player who makes a lot of sense as a street FA. He has the physical gifts to be special, so if someone can figure out what to do with him, he could be a big hit. The price is right in that we didn't have to give anything and he doesn't even take up any cap space. His instincts are so off he will probably never do anything as a LB, but he could be a good ST guy.

Dzubnar has no tackles on ST, and only 2 snaps on D this season. This guy commits an awful lot of PF penalties for a ST guy.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
            Superbowl?
            • Sep 2018
            • Los Angeles/Chicago
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Chargers were done with him. There hadn't been any negotiation with his agent on a new contract since the end of the 2018 season. The Charger organization gave no indication there would be any future talks. No doubt, Rivers and his agent broached the topic multiple times. Enough was enough.

The Charger organization, for their own vague reasons will not acknowledge anything. Perhaps, they plan to make a splash in free agency and do not want others to know they suddenly have money freed up.
            I don't know, isn't the exact same way it went last time he was about to be a free agent? They didn't do anything until the offseason after his final year no?

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

I like Nwosu and Egbule best. They can both play OTTO and LEO. Egbule may also be able to line up at some of the other LB spots. They can set the edge and rush the QB. Neither is that good in pass coverage, but we really don't play them in coverage situations, as both are run down players as LB, who come off the field or put their hands on the ground to rush the QB.

Tranquill showed flashes, but really didn't show much consistency. He isn't that fast, but he has decent instincts. He is the one LB I think may be a keeper but the jury is still out on the guy.

White had his moments, but was also completely lost at times. One hopes he gets his head screwed on.

Ideally, I think we probably want Tranquil starting at Mike, and White starting at Will, with Nwosu at OTTO. Tranquill was much more of an every down LB than White has been, who plays mostly on early downs. Given his speed, you would think White would be the coverage guy, and PFF gave him a better grade, but he is just not on the feild as it becomes more obviously a passing down.

Brown never adjusted to Bradley D, and I can't see us resigning him. He needs to be in a blitzing D, where he can spend some time in man to man coverage, and be a jack of all trades type. His tackling makes it tough to even think he is a decent ST guy.

The only thing Davis does well anymore is attack the line on run and pass blitzes. Which is problematic, since Gus really doesn't like to blitz. His coverage is becoming a problem, and while his run D is OK, it looks like he is nearing the end of the line. I think he had as much problem adjusting to the new D, and the players around him, but at his age it is hard to tell. I would try and get him to retire if I was the Chargers, or cut him. In hindsight, his signing was a mistake because it just confused the rotation. I would rather see us play the younger guys and see who could do what. Once he clears waivers sign him to a coaching contract, which is what we should have done last year.

Malik Jefferson is the kind of player who makes a lot of sense as a street FA. He has the physical gifts to be special, so if someone can figure out what to do with him, he could be a big hit. The price is right in that we didn't have to give anything and he doesn't even take up any cap space. His instincts are so off he will probably never do anything as a LB, but he could be a good ST guy.

Dzubnar has no tackles on ST, and only 2 snaps on D this season. This guy commits an awful lot of PF penalties for a ST guy.
              Drue ran in the 4.5s with outstanding agility metrics. His on field play shows that and will only get better with playing time.

Kyzir played OTTO most of the season. Old man Davis seemed to be given the WILL spot regardless of his major deficiencies.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

Can't say i disagree with any of this. Davis was a major disappointment...it really was time for him to hang em up, in my opinion. I'm a little higher on Tranquil than you, but I like your starting 3...assuming we don't draft Simmons.

Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Not sure what you saw out of Egbule. I didn’t see anything. Nwosu also failed to take the next step. White, who people were high in based on his 3 rookie games, seemed lost out there. Davis and Tranquil were our best LB’s and that’s not saying a whole lot. This position group is still a weakness.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargingBolts View Post

I don't know, isn't the exact same way it went last time he was about to be a free agent? They didn't do anything until the offseason after his final year no?
                    I don't know. I imagine there was some communication between the sides about eventually putting something together. Time is of the essence.

At the end of the season, last time, Rivers agent probably got phone calls returned. Lots of ways of telling someone they aren't wanted without actually saying it.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Not sure what you saw out of Egbule. I didn’t see anything. Nwosu also failed to take the next step. White, who people were high in based on his 3 rookie games, seemed lost out there. Davis and Tranquil were our best LB’s and that’s not saying a whole lot. This position group is still a weakness.
                      All these guys aren't panning out. Start looking at the system not fitting there skill set, or just plain ineffective coaching.

With White - they wanted him prepping for all 3 positions. Of course he looked lost out there. He should of been kept at Will.... a position also new to him.

And all this after coming off a knee injury.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

All these guys aren't panning out. Start looking at the system not fitting there skill set, or just plain ineffective coaching.

With White - they wanted him prepping for all 3 positions. Of course he looked lost out there. He should of been kept at Will.... a position also new to him.

And all this after coming off a knee injury.
                        There’s something to this. LB’s seem to get worse not better the longer they are with the Chargers. Jatavis, Denzel, Nwosu flashes more as a rookie, White looked promising.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Egbule was pretty good on ST, and is pretty good at setting the edge, which is the primary job of an OLB in our D.

I didn't see White play much, if any OTTO. For the most part he played Mike. Some Will.

But again, before people get too carried away with the LB group, how much will they even play.

We need 1 every down LB. If we draft Simmons, than it would be him.

However, lets remember, NFL Offenses play 11 personnel or lighter groupings on 58% of their snaps, and that is a pretty large decrease (3%) from the past seasons, so it may not continue. In 2019 - 16 of them played more than 60% of their snaps, with 2 teams in the 70%'s. KC is at 50# and they played a lot of 21 and 12 personnel when Mahommes was out. Oakland was down Antonio Brown prior to week 1, but still were in 3 WR for about 50% of their snaps, and Denver is a weak WR group but was in their 11 personnel 43% of the time, as well as 21 personnel (with Fant almost being like an extra WR) 31% of the time.

Charger specific, we faced 57% of the downs vs 11 personnel, with another 5% for lighter groups. Add in the Kelcies and Fant's at TE, plus the sped of Hardiman and Hill in KC, we need to keep thinking of getting faster not bigger. After all, we stopped the biggest offense in football last year with 7 DB on the field. With all the zone read, and RPO, we need to follow the college lead and get faster on D.

The point is, while helping the LB crew out some would help, there is a limit to how much we can afford to spend, unless the team can find LB who are good enough to run with NFL WR. Remember, Simmons drew Moss a good deal of the time in the championship game, so while he can do some of what we need, it is not going to take the place of playing more nickel and dime.

If you want to think about having the best players on the field the most, adding more help for the nickel and dime packages makes more sense. Maybe not as much as it did, but still makes sense. Especially since most TE and FB can't hit moving targets and so many decent SS and S sized LB are coming out of college these days.

The biggest needs are probably still CB opposite Hayward and FS. But after that is finding someone to play like an extra LB, and that might be Jenkins and Phillips will probably be cheap, but another mid round S would really help to slow down or stop KC O.

Last edited by Steve; 02-02-2020, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X