On passing play, it's a different thing

Comment

• RobH
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Tokyo, Japan
      • University English Lecturer
      • Send PM

I think Rivers will have a comeback year. Yes, he's a year older, and I get that. But he performed very well for over 15 years before last year, and I just can't help but think that they OL and the play calling didn't work in his favor. He's got a great OL to work with and a good running game to take some of the pressure off. He's also got a coach who I thought was a pretty good OC when he was with us, and he was pretty imaginative with the trick plays and passing formations and routes. So I think Rivers will come back strong. I don't know if he'll put them into the SB, but the playoffs are a very good bet.

I also think the Chargers can make a run for the playoffs as well, but it's going to be done through a shutdown D and a strong running game. I just don't think Tyrod can carry a team through the air.

It'll be a fun year to watch and follow both teams.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
        Superbowl?
        • Sep 2018
        • Los Angeles/Chicago
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
        Mack > Ekeler
        JJ > Hines
        All square on the ground
        On passing play, it's a different thing
        Mack>JJ
        EK>Hines

I see JJ as our 1st and 2nd down back, EK as 3rd down back and change of pace/rest series, JJ replacing MG, is my guess.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

The JJ I saw at PIT 2 years ago ?
          Yes !

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargingBolts View Post

Mack>JJ
            EK>Hines

I see JJ as our 1st and 2nd down back, EK as 3rd down back and change of pace/rest series, JJ replacing MG, is my guess.
            Certain draft pick as well to rotate in. Unless we draft a RB early, like Dobbins, Swift, Taylor.... we will probably have a committee splitting carries. Still might

Comment

• Kingcrimson
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

The JJ I saw at PIT 2 years ago ?
              Yes !
              Even JJ last year had a crazy ypc.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

First 3 games, 18 car for 142 yds
                The rest of season, 11 for 58
                Injury ?
                Last edited by Maniaque 6; 03-24-2020, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Interesting little bit about Drew Brees's time in San Diego from S.I. interview with Brian Schottenheimer:

The team traded down the next day and took Rivers fourth overall. Rivers put together a strong spring, but he held out of camp, assuring that Brees would be the opening day starter. After a 1–2 start, Marty Schottenheimer called Brees in and told him Rivers was going to get reps in practice and that he was on a “short leash.” And the next week’s game, against Tennessee, didn’t start great.

“He gets knocked around pretty good,” Schottenheimers says. “We take him back, we think he maybe had a concussion, but he wasn’t coming out. And Marty literally told him, ‘This is your last chance, this is your last drive.’ And he told me to tell Philip to warm up. And the next thing you know, the guy goes out and throws for three touchdown passes in the next 40 minutes of the game, and goes on to become NFL Comeback Player of the Year.”

Comment

• Kingcrimson
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Send PM

First 3 games, 18 car for 142 yds
                    The rest of season, 11 for 58
                    Injury ?
                    GB 3.5
                    JAX 8.3
                    MIN 3.0
                    KC 11.0

^ his average ypc post-injury. Gonna say its a combination of lack of reps + our o-line rotting away.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post
                      I think Rivers will have a comeback year. Yes, he's a year older, and I get that. But he performed very well for over 15 years before last year, and I just can't help but think that they OL and the play calling didn't work in his favor. He's got a great OL to work with and a good running game to take some of the pressure off. He's also got a coach who I thought was a pretty good OC when he was with us, and he was pretty imaginative with the trick plays and passing formations and routes. So I think Rivers will come back strong. I don't know if he'll put them into the SB, but the playoffs are a very good bet.

I also think the Chargers can make a run for the playoffs as well, but it's going to be done through a shutdown D and a strong running game. I just don't think Tyrod can carry a team through the air.

It'll be a fun year to watch and follow both teams.
                      I think he bounces back as well and expect the Colts to be a playoff team.

Comment

• Shock&Awe
                        Great White North
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Rivers has these up and down years, sort of been a theme. History suggests he'll bounce back but then again, he's 38 years old so it could be the end of the road.

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Hmm. Not sure why you are acting like he dont have weapons.

WR he has TY Hilton and now 2nd year player Parris Campbell. Two guys with speed. Zach Pascal had 41 catches last season and is going into his 3rd year.

TE he has Jack Doyle

RB he has Marlon Mack, Nyhiem Hines who is his Ekeler. Mack had 1091 yards with a 4.4 ave and missed a couple games so those two can can run. Mack put up 174 on us last season.

And best of all he has a MUCH better OL than he had here.

And all this is before the draft where of course they can add more.
                          Funny how things turn out, he'd have had a much better OL if he'd stayed a Charger too. (At least the right side of the IOL).
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X