• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kingcrimson
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Shock&Awe View Post
    Rivers has these up and down years, sort of been a theme. History suggests he'll bounce back but then again, he's 38 years old so it could be the end of the road.
    I want him to do well. He deserves so much more for what he gave to the Chargers organization but realistically, there’s a very low chance he makes the SB.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

Last edited by MagicMamba88; 03-26-2020, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
        Interesting little bit about Drew Brees's time in San Diego from S.I. interview with Brian Schottenheimer:

The team traded down the next day and took Rivers fourth overall. Rivers put together a strong spring, but he held out of camp, assuring that Brees would be the opening day starter. After a 1–2 start, Marty Schottenheimer called Brees in and told him Rivers was going to get reps in practice and that he was on a “short leash.” And the next week’s game, against Tennessee, didn’t start great.

“He gets knocked around pretty good,” Schottenheimers says. “We take him back, we think he maybe had a concussion, but he wasn’t coming out. And Marty literally told him, ‘This is your last chance, this is your last drive.’ And he told me to tell Philip to warm up. And the next thing you know, the guy goes out and throws for three touchdown passes in the next 40 minutes of the game, and goes on to become NFL Comeback Player of the Year.”
        Lol, fucking Marty. So he made Brees the player he is today, good riddance to both.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

And for those who still think Rivers departure was a mutual decision:

Telesco said the decision to move on from Rivers did not take place until last week. The Chargers’ front office had their annual meeting to outline the offseason, with the team’s quarterback situation being at the top of the list.

On Friday, after coming to a decision, Telesco called Rivers’ agent, Jimmy Sexton, to inform him of the team’s decision. Telesco then called Rivers on Saturday, officially ending the 16-year marriage.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Telesco said the decision to move on from Rivers did not take place until last week. The Chargers’ front office had their annual meeting to outline the offseason, with the team’s quarterback situation being at the top of the list.

On Friday, after coming to a decision, Telesco called Rivers’ agent, Jimmy Sexton, to inform him of the team’s decision. Telesco then called Rivers on Saturday, officially ending the 16-year marriage.
            Mutual in the sense Rivers played like he was done in 2018. The team just called him on it.

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Even though it may not have been mutual, at least PR and Sexton have been very professional about the departure... no whining and negotiations via press release. The Chargers didn't over load the departure either, and gave PR due respect.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                Even though it may not have been mutual, at least PR and Sexton have been very professional about the departure... no whining and negotiations via press release. The Chargers didn't over load the departure either, and gave PR due respect.
                Except for the part were they leaked to ESPN that Phillip Rivers was not a company guy and that they thought he was over-the-hill;
                but hey, no hard feelings.....the parting was mutual -err, sort of.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Except for the part were they leaked to ESPN that Phillip Rivers was not a company guy and that they thought he was over-the-hill;
                  but hey, no hard feelings.....the parting was mutual -err, sort of.
                  You have a link for that?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

TT waited a day to call Rivers? he knows that his agent would have called him, like, immediately, right? If I'm Rivers, i send it to vmail the first 3 times he calls just to fuck with him.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Why are we worrying about Rivers not getting a new contract? I mean really he's earned enough to wipe his butt with $100 bills during this pandemic!
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
                        Why are we worrying about Rivers not getting a new contract? I mean really he's earned enough to wipe his butt with $100 bills during this pandemic!
                        Well they have what at least 11 people in the house, so obviously this is where all the T.P has been taken.
                        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• KYBoltsFan
                          THERE'S A GLEAM, MEN
                          Generous Donor
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Interesting little bit about Drew Brees's time in San Diego from S.I. interview with Brian Schottenheimer:

The team traded down the next day and took Rivers fourth overall. Rivers put together a strong spring, but he held out of camp, assuring that Brees would be the opening day starter. After a 1–2 start, Marty Schottenheimer called Brees in and told him Rivers was going to get reps in practice and that he was on a “short leash.” And the next week’s game, against Tennessee, didn’t start great.

“He gets knocked around pretty good,” Schottenheimers says. “We take him back, we think he maybe had a concussion, but he wasn’t coming out. And Marty literally told him, ‘This is your last chance, this is your last drive.’ And he told me to tell Philip to warm up. And the next thing you know, the guy goes out and throws for three touchdown passes in the next 40 minutes of the game, and goes on to become NFL Comeback Player of the Year.”
                          Like many here I was at the game, essentially saw the exchange on the sideline, and saw Rivers warming up. It looked like 'that kind' of conversation, even from where we were sitting. Rivers started taking snaps and tossing and my dad said "this may be Brees last drive". One long TD to Ricochet Caldwell later (which almost got pick-6'd) and the rest is history.
                          NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED

Comment

Working...
                          X