• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

From MMQB:

Look at the odds the Chargers faced Sunday.

Seattle played at home Sept. 4, winning in a rout. So the Seahawks, rested, had a mini-bye before the game in San Diego on Sunday. San Diego played on the road Monday night, losing a tortuous game 18-17 to Arizona, and arrived back at the airport in San Diego about 2:30 a.m. Tuesday. The coaches went right to the office to game-plan for Seattle.

Problems. All week, problems. Center Nick Hardwick, 33, the soul of the offensive line, was lost for the year at Arizona with a neck stinger. He was crucial to the line and is Philip Rivers’ best friend on the team. Big blow. On Wednesday, coach Mike McCoy caught a bug that was going around the team. He felt awful. On Thursday in practice, starting corner Brandon Flowers went down with a groin strain; he’d miss the game Sunday. On Saturday night, Anna Johnson, pregnant wife of starting outside linebacker Jarret Johnson, went into labor, and he went to be with her; he’d miss the game Sunday too. The team was hit, as every team was, by the awful week in the NFL. McCoy addressed his team about Ray Rice and domestic violence and said, “The league’s not screwing around anymore.’’

McCoy told his team all week: “Positive play after positive play. Just do the little things right, time after time, and we’ll be fine. We’ll play with these guys.” He told the defense to keep Russell Wilson in the pocket; don’t let him escape. On offense, don’t get into third-and-longs, because Seattle will eat you alive with the rush and the great coverage. And one more thing: We’ll go after Richard Sherman if our guy—mostly Keenan Allen—is open.

What McCoy couldn’t anticipate was this generation’s Fouts-to-Winslow winning the game for him. Philip Rivers to Antonio Gates. Of all the stories in Week 2, the chemistry between these two men makes Rivers-to-Gates the story of the week. Rivers threw three touchdown passes Sunday, all to Gates. He threw seven passes to Gates, who caught them all.

“I am serious about this,” McCoy told me Sunday night. “They could wear blindfolds and complete passes.”

Rivers and Gates have been together since 2004—this is their 11th season as a tandem, and that’s forever in the NFL. “He reads my posture,” said Gates. “He reads my body language.” And Gates reads Rivers’ weird throws. Some are vintage rippers. Some are shot-put things. The throws get there, but they’re not beautiful all the time. In the second quarter, Gates was singled by safety Kam Chancellor, and Rivers led him in the back of the end zone perfectly for an eight-yard touchdown. Later in the quarter, Gates hand-fought with linebacker Malcolm Smith; Smith would be flagged for defensive holding on the play. Gates veered off after too much contact, and Rivers, who just barely escaped the Seattle rush in the pocket, looped a throw over Smith and Chancellor again. Touchdown.

On the third one, late in the third quarter, Rivers sent Gates up the left side, shadowed by linebacker K.J. Wright—with the ever-present Chancellor steaming over to help. Too late. The ball got there just in time, and Gates made one of the prettiest catches of his life. With two physical Seahawks bearing down on him, Gates reached up and caught it with his right hand, alone, and brought it into his body. There was absolutely no defense for those throws. None. Seattle played good coverage. Rivers and Gates were perfect together.

“I told our guys we’d have to grind it out, and it might not be pretty,’’ McCoy said.

He was wrong there. What Rivers and Gates did Sunday was pretty. Beautiful, actually.

Comment

• KNSD
      Registered Charger Hater
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Someone was complaining about Jarret Johnson not playing in a different thread. Two thoughts on that:
      This was a gift from heaven. Slow guys do not need to be on the field against teams like Seattle.
      Prediction:
      Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
      Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
      Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Beerman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Eastlake
        • Send PM

I don't have kids, but I was there for the birth of my niece/nephew. There's no way I would ever miss the birth of my own child.

Not to mention that you would never it down for the rest of your life. You just gave the wife lifetime ammunition!

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

McCoy certainly isn't a perfect coach and I hate how he hides so much on the health of players, but man, what a refreshing change he is from Norv!

As far as the missing the game to be there for the birth of your child - I wouldn't have it any other way nor ever hold it against anyone who did. I don't know anyone who ever skipped the birth of their child to work. I wouldn't expect a football player to be any different.

Comment

• TABF
            Por debajo del promedio
            • Jun 2013
            • SoCal
            • Send PM

Its not the need to be there (scientifically based), it is the witnessing the birth of your child which is an absolute miracle. Just because there are so many humans does not take away from the fact that its an important time in a couples life to share in the birth of THIER child.

The most amazing thing I have ever experienced (twice)... Those that see it any other way are truly missing out IMO.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              McCoy certainly isn't a perfect coach and I hate how he hides so much on the health of players, but man, what a refreshing change he is from Norv!

As far as the missing the game to be there for the birth of your child - I wouldn't have it any other way nor ever hold it against anyone who did. I don't know anyone who ever skipped the birth of their child to work. I wouldn't expect a football player to be any different.
              I like very much that he hides the health status of the players. Any edge we can get within the rules I want us to be utilizing.....and most that require bending the rules for an edge I am good with has well.

Comment

• X-man
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
                You could hear a little quiver in that voice from McCoy when he delivered what was a heartfelt speech. He seems to stay relatively monotone with his answers throughout the year to some of the media's questions...but going off this post game speech, there's no question the man surely has passion for the game and his players. More importantly, his players seem to identify and respond to him they way one would hope they would. That to me is so refreshing compared to what we previously had.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Just tried to run through an Effing wall and my Effing head hurts.
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• X-man
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Reading each other's minds, bruvah. I'm right there wit ya on all fronts.

Comment

• TTK
                      EX-Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • America's Finest City
                      • Send PM

JJ and MM made the right decision. JJ has played on many Sundays and he still has more Sundays in his future. The birth of your child only happens once.

And I agree with Heat's original thoughts. This kind of stuff will stick with the team and will have a positive influence in the locker room.

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

AWESOME!

There have been many great Charger players but 17 has become my favorite of them all.

Comment

Working...
                        X