• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheels
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • San Diego
    • Send PM

In the end, family is family, and work is just a job. He made the right decision.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

So far, I'm completely impressed with Coach McCoy. I don't care if he gives "coachspeak" and hides the injuries.

The guy has been growing to this position his entire career, has learned from good HC's and OC's, and is definately doing a solid job.
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• KNSD
        Registered Charger Hater
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I'm amazed that he designed an offense like this - and that it works. The toughest thing to do in football is to count on your team to convert 5-7 first downs on every scoring drive. The Chargers continue to "tank" on 1st and 2nd down... and it works!

+1 to McCoy for figuring out the strength of Rivers and using those strengths to design a potent offense.
        Prediction:
        Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
        Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
        Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Heatmiser
          BetterToday ThanYesterday
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

You know what else I think makes McCoy a great coach? He lets his coaches coach. Sounds simple, but smart guys like him often try to do too much and be too hands on with one side of the ball or the other and it hurts the team. He is smart enough to know that his role is to oversee and lead and gameplan and not call plays or second guess his assistants. How many times has he said "The coaches put in a great plan" or "Every call that is made is our call. We all own it"

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• bonehead
            Undrafted
            • Jul 2013
            • TBD
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
            I like very much that he hides the health status of the players. Any edge we can get within the rules I want us to be utilizing.....and most that require bending the rules for an edge I am good with has well.
            Same here, actually I love it. I don't give a rats ass that Acee or some douche reporter can't get the inside track on our team info. F them. Like you said, any edge we can get.
            Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
              I don't have kids, but I was there for the birth of my niece/nephew. There's no way I would ever miss the birth of my own child.

Not to mention that you would never it down for the rest of your life. You just gave the wife lifetime ammunition!
              Me neither. I couldn't stop crying when I was at the hospital when my sis had her baby. It was just too much. It's a definite spiritual moment.
              For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Geezbolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Sun Valley, ID
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                You know what else I think makes McCoy a great coach? He lets his coaches coach.
                TG
                I couldn't agree more. What that also does is make other assistant coaches want to get on his staff. They know assistants and coordinators coming out of successful programs where they had more autonomy makes them more likely to get a shot at a head coaching job. Sure you'll lose some coaches, but you'll also attract the best and the brightest.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                  SLAM DUNK!
                  • Jun 2013
                  • East County San Diego
                  • Bolt fanatic
                  • Send PM

Needs to be better than 11-9 (if we lost that game he is a .500 coach) with some serious coaching blunders before I am 100% on board with the guy but it was nice to see our offense didn't leave with Whiz.

Since Henning I would still put Ross, Marty, and Norv ahead of him but if we can stop letting down against horrible teams and have some smart coaching strategies when managing the game I can put up with his bland media personallity.

Marty because we needed the culture change and even if it took 3 seasons and a Brees blossom he eventually did it.
                  Ross and Norv each went 11-5 and won a playoff game or two their first season.
                  Last edited by BlazingBolt; 09-15-2014, 04:56 PM.
                  migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• TTK
                    EX-Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • America's Finest City
                    • Send PM

Regular season means nothing. McCoy can have 8-8 teams sneak in as a wildcard for all I care as long as he wins in the post season.

I would like to see his philosophy be more aggressive on offense late in games but I guess that's just the way he is and always will be.

Comment

• sandiego17
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Ok. Norv was 3 games worse than the previous season his first season, McCoy was 2 games better than Norval's team his first season. McCoy +5. Norv is trash.

Comment

• Wheels
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • San Diego
                        • Send PM

The donkey fans at orangemane now seem to believe McCoy is the real deal as a head coach, and indeed are even a bit envious of his ability to organize and motivate the team. When pressed about them liking that we hired him, they parsed their answers and said they had issues with him as a coordinator. I didn't participate in the thread, just read it.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                          Go Aztecs and Pads
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

Well I guess I lose the argument. Emotional shit ain't my bag, so that's probably why I don't understand. I don't have a kid. But if I did I'd skip the birth and worry about the next 18 years.

For the record, I was only blaming Johnson. I know McCoy, if he had told Johnson no, would have had a hard time managing all those caring dads who see their kids maybe half the year. I mean -obviously family comes before football for them. McCoy did the only thing he could do.

Comment

Working...
                          X