• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kingcrimson
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

So news out that TT told Harris he’ll be playing more slot this season. What’s gonna happen to Desmond? Outside? Draft okudah? Trade?

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Kingcrimson View Post
      So news out that TT told Harris he’ll be playing more slot this season. What’s gonna happen to Desmond? Outside? Draft okudah? Trade?
      Probably some outside , some slot and maybe some safety. Who knows but you need good CBs and adding Harris moving King around improves us over Davis and especially Facyson.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I think the idea is to move King to play dime LB/S spot (2nd slot position that often stacks behind the DL), with Harris as the true slot CB.

Remember, the Chargers seem to like the progress made by Jenkins, since he was a "Top 5 FS" according to AL. PFF ranked him as the 5th best coverage S in the NFL last year, backing that up. Despite that, I also expect that Adderley will be given a chance to win the FS job.

While Harris was fairly cheap as CB go, I still expect him to start outside in the base D, then slide inside. You don't leave the better CB off the field just because he plays better in the slot. They will want to get as much value from the signing as we can, and that means getting Harris on the field as much as possible. To maximize Harris' impact, he should move inside in the nickel and let Davis and Facyson battle it out at the outside CB, unless we can find someone as a late cut or something, or use a top draft pick on the spot.
        What about the talk (Bradley/Lynn?) concerning Adderley being moved to corner?

Comment

• Kingcrimson
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

What about the talk (Bradley/Lynn?) concerning Adderley being moved to corner?

Idk. He looked really good in PS almost having 4 picks. But then again we got Rayshawn “the elite” Jenkins at FS

Comment

• Lone Bolt
            Oline-Tip of the Spear...
            • Feb 2019
            • McLean Illinois
            • Pipefitter Illinois State University
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Kingcrimson View Post
            When I learned earlier that Harris was better suited to the inside, I started thinking about Desmond's slightly down year, and then, if I remember right...wasn't he disciplined late in the year?

I loved it when we stole him in the 5th the year he came out, and he has certainly outperformed his draft position by a mile...and I really want to keep this young talent...but I wonder if there isn't some personality conflict between him and staff, or if he has moderate character issues...I hope not, but if so, he could be quietly on the block...

The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Kingcrimson
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

When I learned earlier that Harris was better suited to the inside, I started thinking about Desmond's slightly down year, and then, if I remember right...wasn't he disciplined late in the year?

I loved it when we stole him in the 5th the year he came out, and he has certainly outperformed his draft position by a mile...and I really want to keep this young talent...but I wonder if there isn't some personality conflict between him and staff, or if he has moderate character issues...I hope not, but if so, he could be quietly on the block...
              Maybe he’s a piece we’re looking to add if/when we trade down.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

The year Desmond came out, everyone was finding deals in the draft. DB were such a deep position group (both S and CB) that everyone held off drafting them, then got great deals in later rounds. Desmond was not viewed as a top prospect because

1). He is only 5'10". That isn't really small, but guys who are 6' or bigger often get drooled on by NFL scouts.
                2). He lacks great speed. His combine 40 was viewed as somewhat disappointing, but he sorta made up for it with a 4.5 40 in his pro day. But even at that, if you want a press CB, you probably want a guy who can run in the 4.4's or better. He did get burned by some speed guys in college.
                3). Viewed as more of a zone CB, not really a man defender. Doesn't flip his hips so well.
                4). For teams that viewed him as more of a S, the fact that he is basically a solid, consistent tackler is disappointing if you want a guy who is a lights out hitter.

I think the big problem with him last year was just confidence. He, like all the DB had a great game against Baltimore in the playoffs, then totally lost his confidence vs NE, and then fumbled a punt early in the year and just never was the same. He ended up with 4 muffed punts (pff). It effected his D, and so while he wasn't awful, it was not up to his standards.

The big thing would be to stop having him return kicks and punts, and let him focus on being a DB. He really only had 1 good game last year in PR (TD vs Broncos in week 5), and was nothing special in KR. We didn't let him return punts in week 13 (2nd Den game) or in week 18 vs KC (after 2 muffed punts vs KC in the 1st game). He didn't return kicks in the 1st Den game either.

Comment

• RobH
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Tokyo, Japan
                  • University English Lecturer
                  • Send PM

He was sent home before the Vikings game, according to Fangraphs. No specific reason given, but thought to be for missing a meeting.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                    • Feb 2019
                    • McLean Illinois
                    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The year Desmond came out, everyone was finding deals in the draft. DB were such a deep position group (both S and CB) that everyone held off drafting them, then got great deals in later rounds. Desmond was not viewed as a top prospect because

1). He is only 5'10". That isn't really small, but guys who are 6' or bigger often get drooled on by NFL scouts.
                    2). He lacks great speed. His combine 40 was viewed as somewhat disappointing, but he sorta made up for it with a 4.5 40 in his pro day. But even at that, if you want a press CB, you probably want a guy who can run in the 4.4's or better. He did get burned by some speed guys in college.
                    3). Viewed as more of a zone CB, not really a man defender. Doesn't flip his hips so well.
                    4). For teams that viewed him as more of a S, the fact that he is basically a solid, consistent tackler is disappointing if you want a guy who is a lights out hitter.

I think the big problem with him last year was just confidence. He, like all the DB had a great game against Baltimore in the playoffs, then totally lost his confidence vs NE, and then fumbled a punt early in the year and just never was the same. He ended up with 4 muffed punts (pff). It effected his D, and so while he wasn't awful, it was not up to his standards.

The big thing would be to stop having him return kicks and punts, and let him focus on being a DB. He really only had 1 good game last year in PR (TD vs Broncos in week 5), and was nothing special in KR. We didn't let him return punts in week 13 (2nd Den game) or in week 18 vs KC (after 2 muffed punts vs KC in the 1st game). He didn't return kicks in the 1st Den game either.
                    I remember looking at him hard for zone corner/FS...and thought the 3rd was reasonable...so was yelling when he ended up in the fifth...good observations about the NE game, and then the muff issues. Kid is solid, hope he gets it going again, and is back in the fold for us.
                    The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Read somewhere (can't remember where) that King will be taking Adrian Phililps spot in the dime package.

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

gonna venture a guess that not only will Desmond be playing our dimebacker, and Harris our nickelback, but that Nasir wins the FS job, Rayshawn is our backup SS, and that we draft someone like Alohi Gilman as our backup FS....

Telesco also is on record (apparently) as saying we're going OT/CB in this draft.... there will be good value come round 3 by the looks of things.... (after we've gone OT-RB 1-2), and could see someone like Jaylon Johnson (huge good value if there @71) dropping to our slot round three, and so.... much like KA his rookie year, our new CB wins the starting nod opposite Hayward, w/Harris in the slot, and the both of Facyson and Mike D. as CBs 4/5 ??

as things stand now, will also add some conjecture that Vigil gets the starting nod, w/Drue backing him up on the depth chart @WIL, and w/a draft pick (perhaps someone like Evan Weaver from Cal) behind Denzel, and w/White and Egbule penciled in @SAM/OTTO ??

on the Dline, think we're pretty set w/Joey 'n Isaac, and Mel 'n Nwosu, and ditto @DT w/JJ, Jerry 'n Cortez, and however much I'd like Leki Fotu backing up Joseph, guessing that we stay put w/the guy we've got now listed on the depth chart (PJ somethin' or other) and @three hundred and thirtysomething pounds ??
                        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                          gonna venture a guess that not only will Desmond be playing our dimebacker, and Harris our nickelback, but that Nasir wins the FS job, Rayshawn is our backup SS, and that we draft someone like Alohi Gilman as our backup FS....

Telesco also is on record (apparently) as saying we're going OT/CB in this draft.... there will be good value come round 3 by the looks of things.... (after we've gone OT-RB 1-2), and could see someone like Jaylon Johnson (huge good value if there @71) dropping to our slot round three, and so.... much like KA his rookie year, our new CB wins the starting nod opposite Hayward, w/Harris in the slot, and the both of Facyson and Mike D. as CBs 4/5 ??

as things stand now, will also add some conjecture that Vigil gets the starting nod, w/Drue backing him up on the depth chart @WIL, and w/a draft pick (perhaps someone like Evan Weaver from Cal) behind Denzel, and w/White and Egbule penciled in @SAM/OTTO ??

on the Dline, think we're pretty set w/Joey 'n Isaac, and Mel 'n Nwosu, and ditto @DT w/JJ, Jerry 'n Cortez, and however much I'd like Leki Fotu backing up Joseph, guessing that we stay put w/the guy we've got now listed on the depth chart (PJ somethin' or other) and @three hundred and thirtysomething pounds ??
                          Rayshawn is our FS.

think you’re incorrect

vigil will not be a starter

PJ Johnson is big/fat but is a shit run defender and doesn’t provide anything in passrush. He stood straight up at too often @UA.

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X