Clear All
  • Panama
    パナマ
    • Aug 2013
    • London
    • Opera singer and web developer.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
    Yes, that idea was floated, but most of us rejected it because we didn't see back side pursuit constantly getting to our RBs on runs to the right. We usually got stopped on runs to the right because guys blocking on the right side didn't get the job done. Most of the time that meant Clary not run blocking well, but sometimes it was Fluker.

As I have explained many times, I think PFF grades are unreliable in general, but Clary is one of those rare cases where his performance was graded so badly against the run that Clary just about had to have been at least some bad against the run (unless you believe that PFF was more than net 21 points off in one direction over the season). Clary versus the run was the rare PFF grade that was more reliable for general direction because it was so extremely negative.

And, on the other side (where all of these supposed back side screw ups were happening) was Dunlap, who if memory serves, was more than +20 for the year (our best OL by a mile), who had a grade that, because it was so extreme (in the opposite direction) was also reliable as to direction.

So, the theory that was floated is likely not accurate. It's not impossible for PFF to have been more than net 20 off for each of these players, but it is highly unlikely.
    Here we go again, using "most of us" when you mean "I"!

Who the fuck is PFF? I'd never even heard of them until I started posting on this board, and I certainly don't follow them or give them any credence. I use my eyes. Look, Steve diagrammed it for us quite clearly, as did one of those really cool sbnation or whatever that site is called posts that uses all the diagrammed animated GIFs. If you want to continue to wear blinders about our poor backside blocking, that's up to you, but football people (as opposed to stats-dependent geeks) are seeing this. You would be well advised to watch film and use your eyes than rely on some stats-obsessed publication.
    Adipose

Comment

• Panama
      パナマ
      • Aug 2013
      • London
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
      There is no reason to do a sack dance, no reason to spike a ball, no reason for a receiver to simulate a first down signal on a catch, but as long as those moves are not directed directly at the opponent, there is no foul.

It was a bad call plain and simple, no matter how you slice it. The ref should have tried to follow the rules. They are there for a reason.
      Oh, so now you know reffing, too? (FWIW, I have umpired baseball and reffed basketball, both at the high school level and below, so while it's not football and not at the top level, I was certified, earned money at it, and have an idea what I'm talking about there.) Players sometimes do use language that is directed at another player in a way that is in violation of the rules. If the ref hears it, it's his or her discretion to penalize, and the "did Yuba hear it" or "would Yuba approve" factors aren't considered. I once threw a player out of a game -- I didn't want to, I used restraint, and I gave him a warning first, but I was left no choice. I can't speak to the official who threw the flag, but in my experience most refs want to get it right and don't want to penalize if there is no obvious (to them -- they sometimes get it wrong, obviously) infraction. I can almost guarantee you that Conner said something after the tackle that was inappropriate. But unless a microphone picked it up, neither one of us will know, and none of your bloviating on the subject changes that.
      Adipose

Comment

• Panama
        パナマ
        • Aug 2013
        • London
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
        Shitty play + Win! = good team.

Hey, we're a good team!
        But does that pass the OIP test? We should ask his wife if we are a good team.
        Adipose

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
          Liuget is my D MVP so far this season. Weddle/Flowers right behind him.
          I agree. A case could be made for Freeney or Ingram as well.
          Adipose

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

ReFo: Jaguars @ Chargers, Week 4
            Rick Drummond | September 29, 2014

Share by Email

2014-REFO-WK04-JAX@SDComing off a humbling string of losses, the Jacksonville Jaguars had hopes stoked with a lead in this game through the first 29 minutes, but a second deep Rivers-to-Royal touchdown before the half salted that and San Diego walked on from there, adding another 16 to pull away in the second half.

Jaguar rookie Blake Bortles felt his way through his first start at the helm, putting some positives on tape and efficiently completing 29 of his 37 attempts — however conservative they were (24 went to targets less than 10 yards from the line of scrimmage). If looking for a more aggressive example, Bortles just needed to watch when the Chargers had the ball as his counterpart, Philip Rivers, took every chance to air it out and connected on more than half of his long shots.

In the end, it was San Diego’s game to have as they maintained the pace in the AFC West.

Jacksonville Jaguars – Performances of Note

Sen’Derrick Marks, DT: +4.3

Breakdown: Marks made his mark as a pass rusher on Sunday, landing a +3.1 grade after filling his sheet with a sack, a hit and three hurries. Also picking up a positive for his work as a run defender (+1.1), he earned his first green grade of the year and his first dating back to Week 13 of last season.

Signature Play: On San Diego’s second play from scrimmage (Q1, 14.12), Marks darted inside of left Charger guard Chad Rinehart and met teammate Red Bryant at the top of the drop to take Rivers down for the sack.

Geno Hayes, LB: +2.9 (run defense)

Breakdown: Hayes led the Jaguar defense with six stops, five of them coming against the run. For the second consecutive week, Hayes finds himself at the top of the 4-3 OLB run stop charts and he’s climbing the ranks in run defense grades as well, currently sitting sixth with a few games still to come in.

Signature Stat: His six run stops last week tied him for the Week 3 lead and this week’s addition has him in good company among the Top 5 at his position for the year.

Sam Young, RT: -0.3

Breakdown: An uneven day for Jacksonville’s right tackle in his second start saw him post a +2.6 as a pass blocker – no pressures allowed on 42 pass-blocking snaps — and a -2.2 as a run blocker.

Signature Play: Young had a shot at helping his team across the goal line early in the second quarter (14:26), but let linebacker Donald Butler slip off his block and get to the runner just in time to prevent the score.

San Diego Chargers – Performances of Note

Philip Rivers, QB: +3.4 (passing)

Breakdown: Rivers sent 15 passes longer than 10 yards downfield in this game, hitting on 11 of them including four of his seven shots of 20 yards plus. Three of those deep balls went for scores and were all a part of his 25-of-31 day when not pressured.

Signature Play: Q3 11:15; A thing of beauty, Rivers’ third touchdown pass was dropped in to the outstretched hands of Malcom Floyd at the right side of the end zone.

Brandon Flowers, CB: +5.2

Breakdown: Flowers highlighted his day with a clean pick of a Bortles pass midway through the third quarter, but equally impressive was his habit for bringing down receivers on routes running under the defense. Three times he came up with tackles that limited the Jags to, at most, short gains.

Signature Stat: With back-to-back outstanding days in coverage – grading higher in each of his past two games than he has since the middle of 2011 — Flowers is proving quite the addition to San Diego’s secondary.

Dwight Freeney, OLB: +3.4 (pass rush)

Breakdown: Collecting a pair of hits to go with four hurries, Freeney had his way with Jaguars left tackle Luke Joeckel. Rushing primarily from the right side (22 of his 24 pass-rushing snaps), Freeney earned a Pass Rushing Productivity mark of 20.5 from that side this week and his 22 total pressures leads his position group on the year.

Signature Play: At the 8:04 mark of the second quarter, Freeney broke out his signature spin move on Joeckel and flushed Bortles from the pocket.

PFF Game Ball

Whether picking at the defense with needling jabs or striking over the top, Philip Rivers had his way and earned this game ball.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
              I agree. A case could be made for Freeney or Ingram as well.
              Liuget, Flowers, Weddle, Freeney, Ingram. Nice to have 5 guys playing so well they would all be first quarter of the season defensive MVP candidates.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• KNSD
                Registered Charger Hater
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Was nice to see good pass rush even when Freeney wasn't on field.
                Prediction:
                Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

SAN DIEGO -- An examination of the snap counts from the San Diego Chargers' 33-14 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars.

OFFENSE (Based on 63 offensive snaps)

Quarterback -- Philip Rivers 63, Kellen Clemens 0.

Running back -- Donald Brown, 43, Branden Oliver 18.

Wide receiver -- Keenan Allen 63, Malcom Floyd 52, Eddie Royal 48, Seyi Ajirotutu 6.

Tight end -- Antonio Gates 59, John Phillips 17.

Offensive line -- D.J. Fluker 63, Chad Rinehart 63, Doug Legursky 63, King Dunlap 63, Johnnie Troutman 33, Chris Watt 30, Willie Smith 9.

Offensive analysis -- With Ladarius Green dealing with a hamstring injury and David Johnson out with a shoulder issue, the Chargers leaned more on three-wide receiver sets. ... Oliver finished with 13 touches for 56 yards in an expanded role. ... San Diego’s red zone woes continued. The Chargers finished 0-of-4 inside the 20-yard line, settling for four Nick Novak field goals. ... Rivers finished 10-of-12 for 141 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions on third down. Rivers was not sacked, and finished with a 155.2 passer rating on third down.

DEFENSE (Based on 66 defensive snaps)

Line -- Corey Liuget 38, Kendall Reyes 35, Ricardo Mathews 26, Sean Lissemore 23, Tenny Palepoi 19, Ryan Carrethers 9.

Linebacker -- Donald Butler 60, Andrew Gachkar 52, Dwight Freeney 38, Jarret Johnson 38, Cordarro Law 31, Tourek Williams 20, Kavell Conner 20.

Secondary -- Eric Weddle 66, Marcus Gilchrist 66, Brandon Flowers 62, Jahleel Addae 53, Richard Marshall 38, Shareece Wright 27, Steve Williams 5.
                  The D line snaps are interesting. Ricardo Matthews seems to be making an impact in practice to earn that much play time. I love that Pags kept rotating OLB despite the injuries to not over extend the snaps of JJ and Freeney. Now we just have to hope Law can play this upcoming week. He earned more playing time. Now if only Attaochu can replace Tourek's snaps who is still fairly invisible aside from ST's.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Willie Smith in as a TE for 9 plays? That's smart if true.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Beerman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Eastlake
                      • Send PM

The entertainment network where videos and personalities get really big, really fast. Download Vine to watch videos, remixes and trends before they blow up.

love this play.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                        Grammar Police
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Eric Weddle, King Dunlap receive fines

By Eric D. Williams | October 3, 2014 6:15:30 PM PDT
                        SAN DIEGO -- Two San Diego Chargers were fined by the league for incidents during the team's win over the Jacksonville Jaguars last week.

Chargers left tackle King Dunlap was fined $8,268 for unnecessary roughness. Dunlap retaliated after getting hit by Jacksonville's Andre Branch after the play was over. The Jaguars' defensive end was called for a personal foul on the play and also fined $8,268.

San Diego safety Eric Weddle received a $22,050 fine for unnecessary roughness after striking a defenseless player in the head and neck area.

Weddle hit Jacksonville tight end Nic Jacobs after his helmet came off in the back of the end zone on a 2-yard touchdown pass from Blake Bortles with 7:17 left in the opening half
                        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Bolt-O
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

"Fear the Beard". Pricey fine on Weddle... I don't remember him ever being fined for roughness, but probably appropriate considering the guy didn't have his helmet on, intentional or not.

Comment

Working...
                          X