• Show
Clear All
  • Yubaking
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltergeist View Post
    Is anything ever tuanting?
    I examined Rule 12, Section 3, which governs taunting. They can call standing over an opponent for a prolonged period of time, but Conner was not standing over the guy he crushed. He was standing next to him as in near him, but not directly over him (like a player would be if he were straddling the guy he tackled and woofing at him). To me, Conner struck a pose and was not demonstrative toward his opponent at all. While close to the fallen Jaguar, he did not appear to be standing over him. The call was literally the least demonstrative action that drew a taunting call that I have ever seen.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure that Conner wants the fallen Jaguar to see it, just like a DL player wants the QB to see it when he does a sack dance, but as long as the celebration is not directed directly at the player, there is usually no foul called.

Comment

• Yubaking
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
      Maybe because it would be his 2nd year playing OG. I expect him to get better not worse.
      Would we not expect the same thing for Troutman? Would Rinehart be expected to improve with a second year in our system? It seems like those two guys got worse, not better.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
        We hardly ever ran to Flukers side last year not because Fluker was bad, its because Clary wasnt as good.
        Fluker has been pretty bad at run blocking so far this season(last season as well)
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

It was stupid plain and simple no matter how you slice it. There was no need to stand over the dude for any length of time.

Comment

• Boltergeist
            Pesky apparition
            • Jun 2013
            • Baja Oklahoma
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
            I examined Rule 12, Section 3, which governs taunting. They can call standing over an opponent for a prolonged period of time, but Conner was not standing over the guy he crushed. He was standing next to him as in near him, but not directly over him (like a player would be if he were straddling the guy he tackled and woofing at him). To me, Conner struck a pose and was not demonstrative toward his opponent at all. While close to the fallen Jaguar, he did not appear to be standing over him. The call was literally the least demonstrative action that drew a taunting call that I have ever seen.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure that Conner wants the fallen Jaguar to see it, just like a DL player wants the QB to see it when he does a sack dance, but as long as the celebration is not directed directly at the player, there is usually no foul called.
            I was actually just being a dick about Stinky's spelling. Drink less, post less. Words I try, and fail, to live by.

Comment

• BoltBacker
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Las Vegas, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
              Blake Bortles posted the highest comp % of any ROOKIE QB in their 1st career start - min. 30 att (78.4%).
              Does that include the passes he completed to our guys? :chuckle:

Comment

• Yubaking
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                Here we go again. This was discussed ad nauseum last season, but y'all like to hold on to your preconceptions!

Yes, we didn't run right as often or as effectively last season. No, it wasn't because of Clary's run blocking. It was usually because the backside wasn't being sealed properly. We rarely had that problem running left, because Clary was doing his job.

I know this is a hard concept for some to get their heads around, but OL play isn't about individuals; it's about all parts working together as one. Therefore, the success or failure of a run to one side or another is not wholly contingent on the blocking of the OL on that side of the line. On a run right, you cannot focus solely on what the RT and RG are doing. What the C, LG, LT, TE, and FB do also has a huge influence on the play. This is even more true in a zone blocking scheme, which the Chargers run.

But please, all of you, keep clinging to the idea that a failed run to the right means a failure on the right side of the line, despite all the video evidence and play breakdowns Steve and others have given you.
                Yes, that idea was floated, but most of us rejected it because we didn't see back side pursuit constantly getting to our RBs on runs to the right. We usually got stopped on runs to the right because guys blocking on the right side didn't get the job done. Most of the time that meant Clary not run blocking well, but sometimes it was Fluker.

As I have explained many times, I think PFF grades are unreliable in general, but Clary is one of those rare cases where his performance was graded so badly against the run that Clary just about had to have been at least some bad against the run (unless you believe that PFF was more than net 21 points off in one direction over the season). Clary versus the run was the rare PFF grade that was more reliable for general direction because it was so extremely negative.

And, on the other side (where all of these supposed back side screw ups were happening) was Dunlap, who if memory serves, was more than +20 for the year (our best OL by a mile), who had a grade that, because it was so extreme (in the opposite direction) was also reliable as to direction.

So, the theory that was floated is likely not accurate. It's not impossible for PFF to have been more than net 20 off for each of these players, but it is highly unlikely.
                Last edited by Yubaking; 09-28-2014, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                  Go Aztecs and Pads
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Oliver still looks like a better runner than Brown.

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                    Hank Bauer says Marshall is the unsung hero of the game.
                    I could have told you that. He's been the key to our 3-1 start, in fact.

I'll repeat what I said earlier this week: TT...RE-SIGN FLOWERS.

Comment

• Yubaking
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                      It was stupid plain and simple no matter how you slice it. There was no need to stand over the dude for any length of time.
                      There is no reason to do a sack dance, no reason to spike a ball, no reason for a receiver to simulate a first down signal on a catch, but as long as those moves are not directed directly at the opponent, there is no foul.

It was a bad call plain and simple, no matter how you slice it. The ref should have tried to follow the rules. They are there for a reason.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
                        Oliver still looks like a better runner than Brown.
                        Brown should be the change of pace guy from the looks of it

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Shitty play + Win! = good team.

Hey, we're a good team!

Comment

Working...
                          X