Which one looks more like a winner, Tua or Herbert?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Reading Beachcomber's last message,

he seems to want a period of purgatory & contrition for the rejection of Rivers.

I'm in!

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

I agree with those who say Tua is the best QB in the draft. Hopefully his injury concerns will cause him to slide to No. 6, but if Telesco is convinced a team ahead of the Bolts is targeting him, I support trading up - giving up draft picks, including this year's 2nd rounder - in order to ensure he becomes a Charger.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post
        Tua and it’s not even close.
        When he is on the field......

Also, how much of his performance is the players around him?

There is a chance that ALL of them could end up going on to be great QB. It could be NONE of them go on. Maybe 1 or 2. This the time of year that I always find somewhat confusing, because the conversation becomes muddled. Draft "experts" spend so much time arguing who the best prospect is, yet, only the team with the 1st pick in the draft really has any say in who they pick. Everyone else has to HOPE that the #1 team doesn't take THEIR GUY.

The thing that really worries me right now is that we end up taking a QB for the sake of taking a QB, since I don't think that Burrows is really the only franchise guy, with Tua being a medical scratch and the others being developmental types, some of who might turn into franchise QB, some others who likely will not. But the worse thing that can happen is to draft someone and get little or nothing out of the pick. After all, with Tyrod on the roster, if we aren't going to get a guy who will eventually be a franchise QB, there is really no reason to waste a pick on a QB. We have Tyrod to play now, we will just have to upgrade him at some point.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
          Herbert has accuracy issues that will persist in the NFL. Herbert's laid back personality is not ideal for the position.
          Herbert fits what lynn wants and is healthy. If Carson Wentz is a model, that health might not last.
          Still, Wentz is the safer choice. If your goal is just get to the playoffs, Wentz is your guy.

He will probably never be placed in the elite group of qbs, nor the secondary group.

An uninspiring choice. It would tell you Telesco is just interested in survival.
          His accuracy issues can be fixed. They are mechnical.

It's the ability to read defenses that worries me. There are times he either doesn't read the secondary well, or figures "what the hell", and then cannot get the ball in tight enough to get away with the bad read. That is the kind of thing teams can usually get out of film study with a guy, but you have a hard time figuring out using internet clips.

Comment

• Pointyearedog
            Humble Chargers Fan
            • May 2017
            • Golden Hill
            • Medical Devices Operations
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            . After all, with Tyrod on the roster, if we aren't going to get a guy who will eventually be a franchise QB, there is really no reason to waste a pick on a QB. We have Tyrod to play now, we will just have to upgrade him at some point.
            If that were the case, who would be the best pick QB for next year's draft?
            "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." --Frank Zappa

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

His accuracy issues can be fixed. They are mechnical.

It's the ability to read defenses that worries me. There are times he either doesn't read the secondary well, or figures "what the hell", and then cannot get the ball in tight enough to get away with the bad read. That is the kind of thing teams can usually get out of film study with a guy, but you have a hard time figuring out using internet clips.
              He didn't fix these issues in four years at Oregon. What makes you think he's going to change at the NFL level? I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him at No. 6. He is a great talent. I just don't know if he is going to be "fixable," able to change his game to succeed in the NFL.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

So we tank 2020 because you don't like any QB in this draft? Awful idea.
                oh right.... better idea.... take Jason Verrett 2.0 as your franchise QB of the future, and wait for the if and when he goes down.... again and again.

or take the guy that glimmers from time to time, teases you here and there, and in the end.... same story, but it takes you the full four or five years to figure it out, or....

wait one whole year (my god that seems like forever, right ? !!), and.... trust the process.

bottom line, @least speaking for myself.... our Charger QB of the next ten years does not appear to be in this particular draft.

enjoy Cam on hard knocks, build the roster, and don't bust your picks.... take the OT, take another Olineman/OC, and maybe even another OT/lineman, and then maybe a Dlineman.

we are in this position for a reason.... a maybe wonderkid w/no Oline and w/holes on our IDL solves little to nothing.

build this thing.... one draft pick at a time, pls.
                5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• rikardo
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

When he is on the field......

Also, how much of his performance is the players around him?
                  Hurns was getting beat with that same talented team for the first half of a championship game until Tua came to the second half and saved the game.
                  It does matter who drives the Ferrari
                  I really like Tua desicion making and pin point accuracy (even with the injury risk)
                  I would only be happy if we take Young or Simmons ahead of Tua (I have Tua ahead of Burrow 1 Year wonder) and I know it does not matter what I think in Telesco desicion making; Its just for argument in this board

Comment

• Charge!
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post
                    Tua and it’s not even close.
                    This......exactly!!!

People who actually know and coach QB's see Tua a a generational QB........

Hebert is just a typical big strong guy, who is missing the most important qualities for being a great QB........ but the media love to say that Hebert will never be great but he is "good enough" for the Chargers ....... (who most people think have low standards)....... Hebert is NOT a great passer, and he won his bowl games by running for TD's not throwing for them....... he's a guy who with great coaching might end up as a carson palmer/dalton type of bad/so-so QB......who plays just good enough to lose.....

It's hilarious seeing the media create mock drafts where miami takes Hebert over Tua and then the Chargers "stupidly" pass on Tua so Tua can become a raider, patriot, or jaguar....... hilarious..... especially from guys who have said they think Tua is the best QB in this draft...... the media does not want Chargers to have a great QB......... they want the great QB's to go to the popular teams.... especially the east.... like NE or MIA..... Media wanted Chargers to pass on Bosa too, so Bosa would have been a cowboy......

Comment

• Charge!
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      I agree with those who say Tua is the best QB in the draft. Hopefully his injury concerns will cause him to slide to No. 6, but if Telesco is convinced a team ahead of the Bolts is targeting him, I support trading up - giving up draft picks, including this year's 2nd rounder - in order to ensure he becomes a Charger.
                      Agree..... I would prefer to give up next years picks if possible...... but whatever it takes to get Tua...... Fans will love him once they see him play......

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

He didn't fix these issues in four years at Oregon. What makes you think he's going to change at the NFL level? I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him at No. 6. He is a great talent. I just don't know if he is going to be "fixable," able to change his game to succeed in the NFL.
                        Lamar Jackson wasn't accurate in college either or as a rookie. Seems to have that fix going now.

Never 60% in college and 58% as a rookie to 66% last season.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Agree..... I would prefer to give up next years picks if possible...... but whatever it takes to get Tua...... Fans will love him once they see him play......
                          For a game or 2 before he gets put on IR year after year. Availability is the best quality. He started 1 2/3 seasons. Talented certainly but worth the risk at #6 or wasting vital draft capital to move up. Good fucking lord, NO!
                          He has shown he is not upto the rigors of the NCAA. What makes you think his playing availability will be greater in the NFL?
                          The average NFL career is 3 years. What % chance do you give he starts more than 48 games?
                          Last edited by like54ninjas; 04-16-2020, 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling
                          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X