• SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
    Lucked out with this Oliver logo:
    IMO, it wasn't luck as we had a bunch of young RBs in camp including Grice and Kerwynn Williams and kept Oliver on the 53. Jusr more of the smart player/roster moves from TT and MM which are a huge improvement over NOrv always keeping the wrong guys on the 53 only to cut them later while his preseason cuts latched on elsewhere too often.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Maverick
      (Coryellian)
      • Jun 2013
      • Point Loma
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
      IMO, it wasn't luck as we had a bunch of young RBs in camp including Grice and Kerwynn Williams and kept Oliver on the 53. Jusr more of the smart player/roster moves from TT and MM which are a huge improvement over NOrv always keeping the wrong guys on the 53 only to cut them later while his preseason cuts latched on elsewhere too often.
      Dude...it was supposed to be a pun----Luck, Oliver......

play-on-words logo:

why so serious? logo:

Comment

• Sec-E4
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2014
        • Arizona
        • Send PM

Did anyone listen to 1360 yesterday? It was the Loose Cannons, They were talking about how the Chargers have been trying to keep Oliver under the radar, But they were forced to show their hand (obviously because of injuries at the RB position)

He's been the Chargers secrete weapon & they've known he has a special ability. I know we got a little glimpse of what he could do during the Dallas preseason game

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I think they are doing the same with Green.
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• RTPbolt
            Charger Fan till the end
            • Jun 2013
            • North Carolina
            • Send PM

Yah.....the secret is....shhhh.....you wait and when they least expect it you feign injury by your key players to get down the 4th string "sleeper" and then you pounce!!! Put him in and they run wild!

Kudos to Brandon for making waves. Will see how well he does against a non-#1 run defense in the NFL though....I mean you cant expect better than what he did against the Jets #1 run defense can you? Hopefully he does turn into something special that we can use during our run. All comes down to the run blocking though....he had some great holes he sizzled through on Sunday. I'd give a steady dose of him this weekend...its an "All FA RB weekend" special!

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

Comment

• Sec-E4
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2014
                • Arizona
                • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                Yah.....the secret is....shhhh.....you wait and when they least expect it you feign injury by your key players to get down the 4th string "sleeper" and then you pounce!!! Put him in and they run wild!

Kudos to Brandon for making waves. Will see how well he does against a non-#1 run defense in the NFL though....I mean you cant expect better than what he did against the Jets #1 run defense can you? Hopefully he does turn into something special that we can use during our run. All comes down to the run blocking though....he had some great holes he sizzled through on Sunday. I'd give a steady dose of him this weekend...its an "All FA RB weekend" special!
                Your being sarcastic but yah, That's what happened. They wanted to bring him in slowly & then were forced with all the injuries

Nick Hardwick & Mike Costa mentioned that, By the way ;-) I have a feeling they know what their talking about

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Opera singer and web developer.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                  Dude...it was supposed to be a pun----Luck, Oliver......

play-on-words logo:

why so serious? logo:
                  Failed joke logo:

Sorry, I totally didn't see the pun and thought of responding, too. Why would we thinking about Andrew Luck in relation to the Chargers?
                  Adipose

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Scott and BR had Olivers college coach on today, its a good listen when they link it up. Some should post a link.
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

HARGERS BLOG
                      Chargers finding value within DL
                      By Tom Krasovic 07:46p.m. Oct 9, 2014

The Jets were making noise in the first half.

Ricardo Mathews silenced them.

The Jets unveiled Michael Vick in the second half.

Sean Lissemore sacked him.

The Chargers went on Sunday to notch the NFL’s first shutout of the 2014 season, prompting casual football fans to ask, who are Ricardo Mathews and Sean Lissemore?

House money

Vick, dropping back for the first time Sunday, met Lissemore when the nose tackle slammed him just 2.2 seconds after the snap.

Lissemore got off the line fast. When center Nick Mangold hesitated in apparent expectation that his right guard would assist, Lissemore used a rip move to get by the four-time Pro Bowler.

“Nose tackle is a position where you don’t always get a lot of glory,” said Lissemore, who has 6.5 career sacks, “but every now and then you get a little something and that was nice.”

Making plays

The Jets had just intercepted a Philip Rivers pass in the end zone.

Next play, Mathews got the ball back for the NFL’s hottest quarterback.

Circling from right end after beating the left guard, the 6-foot-3, 300-pounder hit running back Chris Johnson from behind with a quick lunge. Jahleel Addae recovered the fumble, and Rivers took the Chargers in for a 14-0 lead.

Ryan Mathews, everyone knows; but as the running back recovers from a Week 2 knee injury, the Chargers’ healthy R. Mathews is making plays.

Claimed off waivers Sept. 1, the end has a sack, a forced fumble and four quarterback hurries in just two games and 45 snaps.

“I feel like I’ve contributed with the help of my teammates,” Mathews said. “I don’t think I would have been able to do it without their help.”

Quick and aware, Mathews did his part; the swift Johnson would’ve been out of range, though, if rookie left end Tenny Palepoi hadn’t powered past the right guard and forced Johnson to chop his steps.

The previous Sunday, Mathews and Dwight Freeney teamed up. Forcing Blake Bortles to scramble, Freeney bulldozed tackle Luke Joeckel – drafted No. 2 overall in 2013 – and Mathews sacked the Jags’ passer 4.2 seconds after the snap.

Freeney advises not leaving breakable objects near Mathews, a former Colts teammate.

“He’s going to destroy something,” he said. “He makes a lot of plays happen because of his effort. I think that’s what separates him from other guys -- he has great intensity.”

Selective shopping

The Chargers have the market cornered on defensive linemen drafted in 2010, round seven.

Lissemore went 234th to the Cowboys; four picks later, Mathews went to the Colts.

They were both quick and undersized as 3-4 defensive ends/nose tackles. Years later, when their teams moved to 4-3 schemes that made them odd fits, Chargers General Manager Tom Telesco bought low on each one, though with Mathews, not before the Texans signed and released him this year.

Each 27-year-old has returned performance above cost within John Pagano’s defense.

A week before last season began, Telesco dealt his 2015 seventh-round pick for Lissemore. The new job called for taking on more double-teams, and Lissemore, after gaining weight and learning the system, supplanted Cam Thomas at nose tackle in Game 13 though not before helping at end, even catching a batted pass for a TD.

A shoulder injury suffered in Game 15 would sideline him for both playoff games, but the 6-4, 303-pounder has worked all five games this year for the NFL’s top-ranked defense.

“This is a guy that plays with great pad level; he plays with excellent technique,” Pagano said.

Telesco claimed Mathews off waivers. Lissemore's fit in San Diego's scheme may trace to his time in Dallas' 3-4 defense overseen by Wade Phillips, a Pagano mentor. Mathews with the Chargers is playing the "three-techinique" end spot that seems to suit him. The Colts were moving him around; Mathews said he's ready to play wherever needed.

“I try to keep everything never too high, never too low, and just work my butt off," Mathews said.

Notably

• Reggie Walker was limited Thursday in the linebacker’s first practice since injuring an ankle in Game 3. D.J. Fluker (ankle) hasn’t practiced this week.

• Raiders quarterback Derek Carr (knee, ankle) was limited a second consecutive day. The starter in all four games, he was injured in the team’s last game, Sept. 28, and didn’t return
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                        X