• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

My unsung hero for this game

Is Branden Oliver. No he didn't have a monster game and no he is not Danny Woodhead but what he showed me is that he can be a viable backup and someone who can catch passes out of the backfield especially on third downs. And if given the opportunity I believe he can be decent at running the ball also. Now I know he's no Mathews but I just got this feeling that the chargers have a gem on there hands with him.
    That thread was locked, so I couldn't bump it. Kudo's to chris9431.

Comment

• OhioBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

One thing I noticed is that Oliver & Mathews does something Brown doesn't they accelerate quickly to the hole, when there is a little crease Oliver and Mathews gets to, although some time Mathew vision is questionable and he slams in the back of his blockers. For Brown to be effective the hole has to be open. Brown has more no gains and negative gains behind the same line Oliver and Mathews ran behind. Oliver is a powerful dude he took some hits and maintain balance. You talk about your next man up the depth test and test past. If Brown is out looks like only two healthy backs on the roster

Mathews- Injured
      Woodhead- IR
      Brown- Next Man Up, good pass protection/receiving, running not effective- Concussion
      Oliver- Next Man Up, Man old Man getting the job done and more
      Draughn-Now in Rotation

Comment

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
        That thread was locked, so I couldn't bump it. Kudo's to chris9431.
        Everybody go and rep chris9431 (even if it's an unrelated post), so we can make it up to him.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
          One thing I noticed is that Oliver & Mathews does something Brown doesn't they accelerate quickly to the hole, when there is a little crease Oliver and Mathews gets to, although some time Mathew vision is questionable and he slams in the back of his blockers. For Brown to be effective the hole has to be open. Brown has more no gains and negative gains behind the same line Oliver and Mathews ran behind. Oliver is a powerful dude he took some hits and maintain balance. You talk about your next man up the depth test and test past. If Brown is out looks like only two healthy backs on the roster

Mathews- Injured
          Woodhead- IR
          Brown- Next Man Up, good pass protection/receiving, running not effective- Concussion
          Oliver- Next Man Up, Man old Man getting the job done and more
          Draughn-Now in Rotation
          That was the thing people noticed most about Brown last year with the Colts. Their OLine opened up better lanes for him than before, and he took advantage of it. Oliver and Draughn are both super physical guys. Although I'd love to have Mathews, Woodhead and Brown in there, we could do a lot worse than the two guys we rolled with yesterday.

Comment

• TTK
            EX-Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • America's Finest City
            • Send PM

Marion Grice: 0 ATT 0 YDS

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Opera singer and web developer.
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
              Reminds me a little of Ray Rice. When he was good.
              How's his left hook?
              Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                パナマ
                • Aug 2013
                • London
                • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
                I think Oliver is a cross between Jim Brown and Barry Sanders. Or maybe he's just Oliver - the best runner we got.

I don't get the Sproles comparisons.
                Oliver reminds me a lot of Rolf Benirschke.
                Adipose

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
                  Is there anything he can't do?
                  Get on the rides at Disneyland?
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panama
                    パナマ
                    • Aug 2013
                    • London
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                    ToleIver?
                    Hell, no! We don't want to insult him by insinuating there's a resemblance to the redhead!
                    Adipose

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      BetterToday ThanYesterday
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Don't get too excited. The media guys on ESPN (first take?) say the only way a guy like Oliver has a game like he did is because the Jets defenders gave up because the offense was so bad.

I'm just happy for the little guy. Seems like such a nice and humble kid. He is not very fast, but he gets a lot of positive yards and he can make people miss. And he runs with a lot of power because he is very heavy for someone that short. And he is not chubby like Tolbert; guy is ripped.

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Panama
                        パナマ
                        • Aug 2013
                        • London
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                        How do u pick up guys before waiver period when they have played?
                        Originally posted by SFW View Post
                        Never played in any league that would allow that. Maybe he just put in a waiver claim and is hoping to get him.
                        Not all leagues have that. This is the first season I've played with that, and I wasn't happy about it.
                        Adipose

Comment

• Viejo Bolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

First of all, I am happy to eat the crow that comes with saying we should have kept Grice and left Oliver on the PS. LOL@me.

Regarding the comparisons between Sproles and Oliver; like has been said Sproles is quicker and has an extra gear. But Sproles can be taken down by a one-handed shoestring tackle. Oliver can bulldoze tacklers.

As for the comment that said we should be willing to trade straight up Oliver for Mack, I sure don't see why. Mack couldn't even make tackles against San Diego Stinkin' State in his biggest game of the year, so I'm far from convinced he's gonna light up the NFL. (Another potential crow-eating statement).

Comment

Working...
                          X